Search for content in message boards

Greenbrier McClungs

Greenbrier McClungs

Posted: 5 May 2005 5:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McClung
I know that I am a descendant of the Greenbrier McClungs. However, I have only been able to track back to my great great Grandfather, John McClung. John had two wives, the first was a Polly Walton and they had 8 children. His second wife being Martha McGraw. John and Martha had 5 children. One of John and Martha's sons was my great grandfather, Andrew Tinsley McClung.

Does anyone know the parents of this John McClung? If so, do you have any more information on this line? I am just starting to research this side of my family and already I am at a stand still.

Angie Coutts

Re: Greenbrier McClungs

keith Mcclung (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2006 6:25PM GMT
Angie, John's father was James McClung b. Mar. 24, 1770 Greenbrier Co. he married Mary Alderson Mar. 15, 1803 in Greenbrier Co. James died July 24, 1824. Mary was born May 13, 1787 and died May 13, 1870 in Nicholas Co, W.V. James's father was William "Grandfather Billie" McClung b. abt. 1738 probably Pennsylvania and died Jan. 18, 1833 Rupert, Greenbrier Co. He married Abigail Carpenter Dickinson, she died nov. 7, 1820 in greenbrier Co. aged 74 years. Hope this has been of some help. Keith

Posted: 16 Jul 2007 4:52PM GMT
Angie, not sure if you have all the info that you need but I am also a desendent of John and have some info if you need it. I just joined the Roots web so that is why I am just now replying to your message. My research comes from the McClung Book which goes all the way back to another John McClung in Scotland. Let me know if you need more information.

Posted: 23 Oct 2007 2:52AM GMT
Looking in the McClung book... John McClung born 1808 was the son of James McClung born March 24 1770 Died July 24 1824 and Mary Alderson born May 24 1787 died May 13 1870 she is granddaughter to Rev. John Alderson they were married March 15 1803. They had nine children. If you would like the info on them please let me know...I hope this helps...Thanks

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 2:09AM GMT
I would like to know if there are any active McClung sites. I use to enjoy the contact with other McClungs but the McClung Family Association site looks forgotten. I knew that "Judith of the Ozarks" was ill and asked if someone could keep the Newsletters going but I guess no one did. Anyway, I found this Board but it seems months between questions and answers. Also, is there a "meeting of the Clan" anywhere? Or just a McClung family reunion? I live near Kansas City, Mo and have a Rev. Family Book and I've been doing a lot of reading about the family. Thanks for any response. I am related to Grandfather Billie 3 ways. Both my grandparents were McClungs through two sons and my Grandfather was related though his mother too. So I have a lot of the "good blood" and I can also blame it for a lot of faults!

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 2:29AM GMT
I don't know about any active sites.I wish I did. I also would like to go to a family reunion, but have never heard of where they are. I have a couple of pictures of family reunions back in the early 1900's and would like to know if anyone knew who they were. My regular email address is caroline_lattea@yahoo.com Please lets stay in touch and maybe together we could get a newsletter going we just need to ask Judith. Take Care Caroline

Posted: 21 Nov 2007 1:04PM GMT
The last "Clan" reunion that I know of was held in the 1950s near Rupert, Greenbrier Co., WV. There are still individual McClung family reunions held in Greenbrier, Nicholas and Fayette Counties.

I also descend from two sons of Grandfather Billie, John (Black John) McClung and Joseph (Cranberry Joe) McClung. One of each of their grandchildren married each other and my Great Grandmother was their child. Like you, I have a lot of the "good blood."
Karen Kessler Cottrill
WV Kessler/Kesler/Keslar Family Historian
KesslerWV@aol.com

Posted: 25 Nov 2007 7:52PM GMT
Hi Karen,
I sent a message to your email address, I hope you received it. However, I am having problems receiving now. I put blocks up so I wouldn't get so much spam, I think I may have done too good a job! If yours doesn't get through let me know here at this site.
I was wondering about if you know anything about the Highland Games they have in NC and if you know if there is anyone from our clan that sets up a booth? I know little about this because my oldest son and family attended one two years ago and he said he didn't see a booth for our family but that there were lots of families represented.
Thanks,
Also, I was wondering how many people related to this family might be reading this message board? It would be great if everyone would send a message and let each other know.
Exchanging infomation about "being" a McClung would be interesting. Where you live and anything about your life and history would of interest. It about knocks your socks off to think of the numbers that have been added from three brothers and a cousin or two that first immigrated.

Posted: 7 Dec 2007 12:52AM GMT
As a NC McClung, it would be great to have a reunion of all Mcclungs. It is remarkable that most Mcclungs come from a handful of brave folks, long before the Revolutionary War.

The NC Arthur Mcclungs had a reunion a few years ago in North Carloina. Arthur was a Justice of the Peace in Wallace, NC. His father was Charles. We are a lost limb, perhaps from John Mcclung the revolutionary war soldier who was in Alabama.

The Highland Games are very close by, but I did not go this year. It is a safe, wholesome event that I would recommend.

Posted: 10 Jan 2008 11:06PM GMT
I have not been on the computer for several weeks because of the holidays and then flu...I was glad to see a reply from another McClung. My oldest son lives outside of Reidsville, NC. Yes, I would love to see a group of McClungs get together for a reunion. I would be willing to do what I can if some of us could figure out a better way to make contact with others. I have sent a few messages to the McClung family site but have received no response. I have thought about getting some McClung names out of a city phone book and sending a card to try and find a place to begin. I live close to Kansas City and I was told by a McClung in business in Kearney, Mo.,whom I called, that he thought that some McClungs have a reunion in KC. I will try and find out more about that and post anything I find on this and the family site.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions