Search for content in message boards

Native American ancestry in OK/KS Tulls

Native American ancestry in OK/KS Tulls

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 4:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jul 2009 12:11PM GMT
Surnames: Tull, Arnold, Lowe
My great-great grandfather was Gurley Harrison Tull b. 8-31-1888 in Washington Co., Oklahoma Territory. He married Ida Mae Arnold (b. 8-20-1888 in Montgomery Co., KS) on 10-23-1905. My grandfather claims to have Native American ancestry (and looks it :)) but I am having trouble finding any proof. I have info all the way back to a Tubman Tull (b. about 1800 in VA) who married Maria Lowe in Pendleton Co., KY on July 25, 1827 but I am not sure where the Native American blood starts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Megan

Re: Native American ancestry in OK/KS Tulls

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 12:02PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2009 12:12PM GMT
Surnames: Tull, Barger
Hi, Megan,

My husband's great-grandparents were Thomas Barton Tulland Martha Jane Barger Tull. There is also a claim to Native American ancestry in this family, but we have not been able to find it. Other cousins have also been searching without any luck. Seems there must be some truth in the claim, but where???

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 4:30PM GMT
Megan,
P.S. My husband's grandfather was Tubman Allen Tull, born 1857 in Missouri.

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 4:42PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2009 12:12PM GMT
Do you have any pictures of these relatives? Does anyone have Native traits?

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 4:53PM GMT
Megan
My GGGrandfather was Thomas Barton Tull born in 1827 OH and his elder son's name was Tubman Allen Tull born in 1858 MO, which I believe he was named Tubman from his grandfather and Allen from his maternal grandfather. Marilyn says that he also claimed indian roots. My link is his brother, Joseph Henry born 1859 in MO. I know that Tubman and Maria moved from Kentucky to Cincinnati OH since he appeared in the 1830 Census
1 Male 5-10 Unknown
1 Males 0-5 which I think would be Samuel Lowe and Thomas
Barton
F 20-30 Maria
F 5-10 Unknown
In 1850 Samuel Lowe married in IL, Jackson Co and Thomas Barton lived near and married in IL, Randolph Co.
Then Tubman is picked up in the 1850 census with only 3 sons Lawson, Alex and John in Platte City, MO which is near where Thomas Barton Settled.
I did go through the Cherokee Nations records and did not find any reference.
Do you have any other information on the children of Tubman and Marie or who their parents might be? Hello Marilyn
Barbara Galey

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 5:52PM GMT
Megan, I have sent you a picture of my husband's mother; I hope to the right e-mail.

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 5:54PM GMT
Hi, Barbara,

I've sent Megan a picture of my husband's mother--hopefully I have the right e-mail address. Don't think I ever sent you one. I'll have to send it to your e-mail

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 6:01PM GMT
Yes, thank you, I received the picture and sent a reply. She's so pretty...her features and darker skin remind me of my grandparents. :)

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 6:14PM GMT
Surnames: tull
I cannot find any info on the parents of Tubman Tull or Maria Lowe. I know their son Samuel Lowe Tull had a son named Cassius Clay Tull who had a son named Gurley Harrison Tull who had a son named Forrest Herman Tull, who was my great grandfather on my dad's side. I did not know much about him except that he had a temper. When my great grandmother (his wife) died last year, the topic of family genealogy came up. According to my grandfather, his family was known to have Osage Indian ancestry. They lived in and around Osage Territory in Southeast KS and Northeast OK, mainly Montgomery County, KS and near Hominy and Hallett, OK. I, too, have searched the Indian Rolls but have found nothing. To see my family, the Native blood is evident. It is the documented proof that eludes me. :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions