Search for content in message boards

Auto Backup in FTM 2008?

Auto Backup in FTM 2008?

Posted: 24 Aug 2007 2:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anybody know if FTM 2008 backs up as it closes like V.16 did? And/or is there a way to make it backup on a selected schedule, say every 15 minutes while working within the program?

I have looked at the options and see nothing on it about backup and I went to help too and they only talk about a manual backup.

I have been know to miss things in this new version, but
Before I send a feedback on this issue for an enhancement request I wanted to hear from the guys who know. Thanks.

Re: Auto Backup in FTM 2008?

Posted: 24 Aug 2007 2:39PM GMT
dmcclure,

If you are talking about the "Automatic Back Up" in previous versions, that was NOT really a back up. It was a Copy of your Working Family File.

However, like previous versions, you can Back Up your Family File from the File, menu, as with earlier versions.

Russ

Posted: 24 Aug 2007 3:20PM GMT
Russ,

Yep I guess that is what I was talking about. In the preferences of the V.16 under general, there is a check box "Automaticlly backup the family file", and I don't see that in 2008. I just looked in the V.16 FTW file in windows and there is a backup file produced automaticlly and is labled "FTW backup file", with a different icon for the file. And the date and time modified indicate it was done when I closed the file.

A manual backup is only as good the date/time of backup. In an Ideal world we should backup after every session in FTM, but in the real world this does not happen, hence many programs make a periodic backup (or copy) of your work and also make a backup upon closing.

I realize that I can do it manually in 2008 and have done so, but my question was, is 2008 also doing this automaticlly when I close?

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 2:30AM GMT
As Russ notes, the so called backup in versions prior to FTM 2008 were dangerous as they merely made and renamed a copy of the file.

If there was a problem with the main file then you got it in the backup as well.

Careful genealogists back up their files to removable media and don't keep the copy in the same place as their computer.

Windows in Control Panel>Automatic Updates has a scheduler to allow auto back ups of any program.

Have you considered that option?

John Donaldson
Melbourne, Australia

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 10:23AM GMT
John,

Thanks, I have been doing removable media Family file backups (to other important files as well). And I will always continue to do so, but thought the one it did at the closing of the program was extra insurance and could always be readily used as long as the hard drive did not crash or the computer wasn't stolen or destroyed.

I must admit, I did not do the manual backup to removable media as often as I should have, but I will now do so.

Thanks for the input.

Dennis

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 10:13PM GMT
The major downside to doing automatic backups is that the original backup is always rewritten with the current session, so should there be any corruption in the database at the time you are working in it (and you won't know) it will become your backup!

When that happens and FTM tells you your database is corrupted, that you need to restore by using the backup, you will STILL have a corrupted database, because the backup is corrupted, too!

The best backups would be manually dated ones to the hard drive or a "write once" to CD/DVD, so the data cannot be over-written. That way, when the database becomes corrupts and can't be fixed, one would have a slightly earlier copy to use.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 5:14PM GMT
HELP!!!
I downloaded the mandatory FTM update and since then I have an auto backup. My question is this; When working on my tree in Ancestry.com, Do I work from the auto backup or from my original tree? Thus far, I am working from the auto backup file. ERRR

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 5:39PM GMT
akhunter,

What version of Family Tree Maker are you using? The subject line says 2008, but that is way old.

You not NOT work on an Automatic Back Up, but work on your Working file. An Automatic Back Up is there "just in case". it will NOT include any Media file.

You can certainly keep the Automatic Back Up feature turned on, but it's more important to manually do a back up. I run a Tools, Compact File, which offers a Back Up, which I take each time. AND I do NOT save that Back Up to my C Drive, but to an External Drive.

Hope that helps,

Russ

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 10:48PM GMT
Russ, thanks for your response! I'm not real sure what version I have as I'm out of town and only have my iPad. But I CAN tell you that I've only had it for about six to nine months.
I got a message saying it was a mandatory update (about a week ago) and would not let me go forward without downloading the update. When it allowed me to continue, I had this auto backup 'thingy.' it defaults to this, which is my tree name followed by_AutoBackup.
I'm a bit upset with myself for not knowing enough about computers, but also that the update did not come with any explanation. And, frankly, I've had very little luck finding it by doing a Help Search!
So, am I in big trouble for doing my work from this AutoBackup while in Ancestry.com or should I do something prior to syncing with the actual FTM?
THANKS AGAIN!

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 11:50PM GMT
akhunter,

If you just had the "mandatory update" then you have FTM2012. It's mandatory as there are a number of fixes involved with it.

The "auto back up" feature has NOT changed. It hasn't changed for many years as long as you have it activated in the Tools, Options menu.

There is NO reason to work on an automatic back up file, unless you have a problem with your normal working file.

The help menu is VERY helpful. Don't know why you could not find anything about the option when you did the Help search.

Not sure what you mean by "doing my work from this AutoBackup while in Ancestry.com". You either work on your file from your PC with the Family Tree Maker program OR work on your Ancestry.com Ancestry Member Tree from your iPad.

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic