Search for content in message boards

Um, where are plugins?

Um, where are plugins?

Posted: 24 Aug 2007 4:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is probably the Dumbest Question of the Week...but where do you get plugins for FTM 2008?

Re: Um, where are plugins?

Posted: 24 Aug 2007 6:29PM GMT
Not such a dumb question, I thought the same thing, but since reading many of the boards, I would conclude that since the FTM 2008 is basicly a browser as well as a geneaolgy program, most browsers need plug-ins for various sites, so I would say that is what they are talking about. You have the ability to add other URL's to web search if you so desire, and if one of them requires a special plug-in I would guess that would be it. Others on this board might adviseyou better.

Posted: 24 Aug 2007 6:47PM GMT
BlueSkyGirl,

Since none of us works at or for The Genealogy Network, we are not able to answer your question. My guess is that "some time in the future" we will find out that someone or company has created a plug in for 2008. Keep in mind that in the past, earlier versions of Family Tree Maker, other Applications have been included with the purchase of the program. I am guessing that the same type of thing will happen in the future BUT any plug in may be downloadable. Perhaps you have seen such events with your Browser.

Russ

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 2:03AM GMT
I think you need to appreciate that a provision has been made for plug-ins

This allows third party developers to produce additional modules for FTM

As FTM 2008 has only "just hit the streets" it maybe is a bit early to expect any plug-ins as yet, but my guess is that they will come in due course.

As to what they will be and what they may costs are different issues.

I would welcome a book plug-in that allows me to grab my data in FTM 2008 and then outputs it c/w an Index and a TOC as an RTF file that I could then polish off on a DTP such as InDesign, Publisher or a word processor such as Word

John Donaldson
Melbourne, Australia

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 5:28AM GMT
I appreciate that fact...I just had no idea whether there were existing plugins, or not...or where to find them if they did exist. I couldn't find any documentation on it.

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 1:39PM GMT
I too have searched and searched but no go on the plugins. I believe, like the others, that there currently isn't any to be found. Seems like a future feature to me.

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 1:49PM GMT
You are correct there are no plugs ins available form FTM as yet.

Whilst I understand that the developers are keen to have some plug ins and there is a SDK, it is a bit chicken and egg, as there does not seem to be any third party developers who are "rushing" to develop applications.

Me, I would love a plug in that would take the book out of FTM in a form that InDesign and Word could use, including keeping the TOC and Index in sync.

Yes, I have formally suggested it to the developers.

John D

Posted: 8 Jun 2009 2:15AM GMT
Justin,

To my knowledge there are NO Plugin's available to us in Version 2009. Yes, it is most likely a Future feature.

Russ

Posted: 8 Jun 2009 2:26AM GMT
They'll be selling a new version of FTM before they ever offer any plugins.

Posted: 9 Jun 2009 8:32AM GMT
Then still yet there will be no plugins. Come on people at least make the SDK publicly available so people can start writing some and sharing them with the community, this is a never ending story.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions