Search for content in message boards

COOKs in Monmouth Co, New Jersey

COOKs in Monmouth Co, New Jersey

Posted: 13 Oct 2001 1:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Oct 2001 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: COOK- HARKER-SWEM
COOKS- Looking for info on Jacob Cook son of Green and Rhoda Harker Cook. Born 5/15/1791. Green Cook was son of Joseph and Sarah Green Cook. Want to know who Jacob Cook married. Could it have been Elizabeth Swem in 1812 or so in Burlington Co. New Jersey? Please help. Thanks.

Re: COOKs in Monmouth Co, New Jersey

Posted: 14 Oct 2001 1:50AM GMT
Edited: 24 Nov 2002 3:53PM GMT
Nancy, I have been doing the research on my family since 1984. Green Cook was my great great great great grandfather. my decendant is Joseph, Jacob's brother. I don't have my research right at hand but I don't believe I have anything on Jacob either. Any information you have on the rest of Green Cook's children I would be very grateful to know. I have a set of books on the family and can tell you where to get them if you are interested.
Ted Cook

Re: COOKs/DENNIS. in Monmouth Co, New Jersey

Karl Swartzel (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2001 11:55PM GMT
Surnames: Cook, Dennis, Truax, Compton, Conover, Coe, Thorne, Van Note, Runvan,Henry, Hancock, Maxson, Carmen, etc.
Hello I have just found out this past week that there were severla headstones in the Harmony Area near the Dennis Farm re: One with the Cook Surname and one with a possible ancestor of mine re: Elizabeth Dennis of Port Monmouth (Belford) NJ. Both headstones dated in the 1720's I believe.

The earliest Dennis I found in the area was Benjamin Dennis home near Earl dating in 1668.

http/www.abraxis.com/swartzel
"Dennis Family of the Eastern Shore"
Please check it out and it is under construction.

Re: COOK, PETER 1700's in Monmouth Co, New Jersey

Posted: 18 Oct 2001 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: Dennis, Cook, Ball, Marsh, Compton, Henry, Smith, Truax, etc.
Hello found an email from another researcher. One headstone that was behind his home in Harmony, Middletown, NJ shows Peter Cook and another showing Elizabeth Dennis Cook. My GG Grandfather was Rev.Peter C. Dennis and his Brother was John B. Dennis both of Port Monmouth now (Belford) NJ USA

This information confirms what my Mother told me about two Dennis buriel plots near the Old Dennis Farmstead off Harmony Rd. near Middler Road. The other is Pikes Cemetery surrounded by some 4 to 6 homes.
Enjoy
Karl

Posted: 9 Sep 2002 3:56PM GMT
Edited: 24 Nov 2002 3:53PM GMT
Karl I have many family members buried at the Methodist Church Cemetery on Harmony Rd. Jackson Twp. Ocean Co. We have always called it the Harmony Cemetery. Do you have any knowledge of another cemetery in the area known as "Harmony Cemetery"
Thanks, T. Cook

Posted: 10 Sep 2002 3:53AM GMT
Surnames: "So much History and So Little Time"smKWS
Hello T. Cook
I guess you know that George Pikes Farm Cemetery is on Harmony Road in Middletown?
Also that the Cook and Dennis graves were nearby in a seperate plot on the old Dennis Farmstead.

I don't know how the Dennis Cemetery ever got the name of Pike Cemetery? I believe the Dennis Farmstead was in Middletown prior to George Pike.

I have researched the name Harmony and have found alot of other places named Harmony in NJ near the Delaware River also a Harmony Community near the Wabash River in Indiana. A recent find was a place in NC, and or VA also named Harmony. There were also a group of men in Ocean County named the Harmony Society. Wow

So to answer your question there may be several Harmony Cemeteries?

My guess is the one on Harmony was probabbly refered to as Harmony cemetery?
Good hunting
Harmony Society books are available on line also check YAHOO.com

Posted: 17 Dec 2002 2:05AM GMT
Edited: 16 Sep 2003 6:14PM GMT
Surnames: Cook
I would like to find more on this branch.
Joseph's 3 sons: Daniel, James, Britton... which is your line? I have nothing beyond those 3 and their 3 sisters Matilda, Rhoda, and Esther. Would be happy to bring that line more current.
Sam Cook, Milan, MO
sam@sjcook.com

Re: COOKs. in Ocean Co, New Jersey

Posted: 11 Feb 2003 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: Cook
Charles,

I too have many family members buried in Harmony. The old Cook farm is at the end of Harmony Rd. on Countyline and Cooks Bridge Rds. You probably already know that but way off the road behind Jackson Mills Vol Fire Co. there is a small family plot of Cooks. There is an iron fence around it and it sits in the middle of the field. There is now construction going on but the cemetary is being preserved. I have been inside the fence and the stones are hard to read and there is lots of brush and trees within there also.

let me know if you are interested and I might know someone that could show you exactly where it is.

Samantha

PS. I am decendent of the Reynolds Family that built the Cook home.

Re: COOKs. in Ocean Co, New Jersey

T. Cook (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2003 4:35AM GMT
Samantha, thanks so much for your response to my inquiry. Yes I am very familiar with the Cook farm and the cemetery. My father first took me there when I was about 8 years old. I am very concerned with the construction going on there and the preservation of that cemetery that has been hidden for over 200 years. That has to be one of, if not the oldest cemetery in Jackson Twp. I believe that the first grave in there was my great great great great great grandfather Joseph Cook, who purchased the house from your relatives. Do you live near by? If you do, could you keep me posted on what is going on there? Do you know anything about the history of the old homesead? You can contact me directly at: ullmfam@hotmail.com
Thank you, T. Cook

Posted: 9 Jul 2005 4:05PM GMT
My husband is a descendant of Joseph Cook also. I have a long list of Cooks from a family Bible but don't know who they all belong to. There are about 18 names of that time period, some of which were too close to be siblings. Who wer the siblings of Joseph other than, jacob, silas and Britton?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions