Search for content in message boards

DAMRONS, MAYNARDS, HATFILEDS, MC COYS, (ANY SPELLINGS)

DAMRONS, MAYNARDS, HATFILEDS, MC COYS, (ANY SPELLINGS)

Doug Maynard (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2005 12:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great grandfather, THOMPSON MAYNARD, and his brother, JACOB MAYNARD, of Wayne, Co. W VA both married DAMRONS, POLLY ANN AND ELIZABETH, but the girls were NOT sisters.

I need help in a couple of questions.

What family is represented by the famous PGA golfer named DAMRON from Pikeville, KY?

Who in Hell's Holler is "OCK" DAMRON?

Is "OCK" shorthand for another name?

He's pictured in several famous pictures of the HATFILED family, and I know he worked for "DEVIL ANSE" HATFIELD, but almost nothing else.

My guess is that "OCK DAMRON" was also involved in the shooting part of the famous feud with the Mc COYS.

I've seen his name listed as EXER DAMRON AND OKER DAMRON, and I'm pretty sure all three names are the same person, but I'd love to validate that fact.

Were there any other DAMRONS involved in the feud?

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Doug Maynard

Re: DAMRONS, MAYNARDS, HATFILEDS, MC COYS, (ANY SPELLINGS)

Donna Carter (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2005 5:17AM GMT
OCK = Auxier Damron...You can look him up on the Web.

My mom told me the Damrons were on the Hatfield

side. At least one was!

Donna

Doug Maynard (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2005 8:27AM GMT
Surnames: DAMRON, MAYNARDS, HATFIELDS, MC COYS
Thanks, Donna, for the "OCK" Dameron info.

Great help.

I see his pictures all the time with the Hatfields.

He's described as working for the Hatfields. I just wondered if there were any relation to the family?

I discovered there were MAYNARDS on both sides of the feud.

Wonder if the same were true for the Damerons?

I have a lot of names of families of the feud, and I"m trying to determine how they might be connected.

If you'd like to see them, write douglasmaynard@charter.net.

Posted: 12 Apr 2008 9:30PM GMT
Ock Damron was my great grandfather and he was from Pike County, KY. He was a hired hand of Devil Anse Hatfield.

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 12:56PM GMT
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

DO YOU KNOW IF THERE WERE ANY DAMRONS ON THE MC COY SIDE OF THE FUED?

ALSO WAS OCK RELATED IN ANY WAY TO EITHER SIDE OR WAS HE SIMPLY A HIRED HAND FOR DEVIL ANSE?

ALSO DO YOU KNOW IF HE WAS IN ANY WAY RELATED TO ANY MAYNARDS AT THAT TIME?

THANKS AGAIN,

DOUG MAYNARD

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 6:27PM GMT
My grandfather nor my father ever mentioned relatives on the McCoy side and I'm not aware of any connection to a Maynard family.

According to their stories, Ock was just a hired hand and was never involved with the Hatfield violent antics. When I was a teenager, I recall my papaw, mamaw and my dad sharing many of the stories I'm sure you've read regarding aspects of the Hatfield/McCoy feud. I'm fairly confident they would have shared something had he been directly involved with the feud but alas, one never knows. It's possible.

There is a Hatfield/McCoy festival in Pikeville, KY. I've never attended but you could contact the Chamber of Commerce and they'll provide you with details.

By the way I know who has Ock's gun, the one in the photos, but I can't get them to sell it.

Good luck,
Billie Jean Cole

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 3:37PM GMT
Surnames: DAMRON, MAYNARD
MY GREAT GRANDFATHER, THOMPSON THOMASON MAYNARD MARRIED POLLYANN DAMRON IN 1885. HER PARENTS WERE SAMUEL AND EVALINE DAMRON OF WAYNE CO W VA. HIS BROTHER ALSO MARRIED POLLY ANN'S SISTER BUT I CAN'T REMEMBR THEIR NAMES RIGHT NOW. THERE ARE MANY OTHER DAMRON/MAYNARD MARRIAGES BUT I CAN'T FIND THAT INFO RIGHT NOW.

PERHAPS WE'RE RELATED AFTER ALL.

DOUG MAYNARD

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: Damrons, Ratliff, Adkins, Coleman, Rose, Childers, Marshall, Roley
Doug,
Hi, I just saw your question about who the PGA golfer named Damron in Pike County, Ky. My mom's brother was a PGA golfer and he is origianlly from Pike County but he hasn't played for a while because he hurt his back. His name is Arnold Edwin Damron. Are you connected to the Damrons in my family? Hope this helps.

Misty Marshall

Posted: 1 May 2010 5:48AM GMT
Surnames: Damron
William Auxier E Damron
and Nancy Jane Moore

William Auxier E. Damron b 28 Sept 1873 Pike Co KY d 18 Feb 1946 Pike Co KY; occupation 1920, hotel keeper; s/o William M Damron and Elizabeth Branham. William Auxier E Damron m. 29 Jun 1894 Pike Co KY to Nancy Jane Moore b 15 May 1870 Kanawha Co WV d 10 May 1951 Pike Co KY; d/o William C Moore and Sarah Tackett. In the 1920 Letcher Co KY Census, William Auxier E Damron ran a hotel and had his family living there and 13 boarders at the time of the taking of the census. Children of William Auxier "Ock" Damron and Nancy Jane Moore;

I. Willie Damron b 15 FEB 1894 Pike Co KY d 19 Feb 1981 Letcher Co KY; m. 19 Aug 1920 Pike Co KY to Mary Roberts b 12 Feb 1902 Pike Co KY; d/o John Roberts and Sarah Elizabeth Damron. Children of Willie Damron and Mary Roberts;

1. Fame Damron (female)

2. Dora Damron

3. Willie Damron

4. Jack Damron

5. Avery Damron

6. Johnny Damron

7. Bessie Riddle Damron

8. Dollie Damron

9. Joanne Damron

II. Anse Hatfield "Ted" Damron b 28 OCT 1895 Mingo, WV d 3 Apr 1968 Pike Co KY; m. (1) to Hanna Roberts b about 1898 KY d 30 Dec 1931 Pike Co KY. Anse Hatfield Damron m. about 1932 to (2) Eula Short b after 1895.

III. Mont Everette "Yank" Damron b 15 MAY 1897 WV d 11 Aug 1934 Pike Co KY; m. Bessie Kinney

IV. Jessie Damron b about 1900 PA d about 1900 PA

V. Maud Damron b 7 DEC 1901 WV d 3 Apr 1985 Baltimore MD; m. 30 Aug 1922 to William "Bogie" Blackburn.

VI. Minnie Belle Damron b 12 MAR 1904 Pike Co KY d 3 Aug 1995; m. Chester Jay Robinson

VII. Edna Damron b 17 FEB 1907 Pike Co KY; m. 10 Mar 1940 to Arch Puckett

VIII. Ethel Damron b 23 JUN 1909 Pike Co KY d 23 May 1983 CA; m. 1930 to Cecil Clarence Payett

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 2:07AM GMT
My Grandma Was Rosa Lee damron born in Jany 1890 in Robinson Creek Kentucky Pike County Was wondering if you knew if she was related> Thanks so much
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions