Search for content in message boards

John Garner b 1818 Georgia

John Garner b 1818 Georgia

Posted: 19 Mar 2000 7:50AM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2001 4:29AM GMT
I am trying to locate information for John R. Garner b 1818 Georgia, d 1855 Panola Co. Texas.
He married Sarah Elizabeth ???? b 1820. They had 7 children Josiah (born in Ga.), Ann (born in Al.) John Thomas, Wilie, Andrew, Eliza, Sophronia, (born in Tx.). possibly one of 6 brothers from Ireland I would like to know if anyone has information on John or John's parents.
Willing to share my info.
In my Allen, McDowell, Baker, Brooks line I have a information for John P. Garner and Amanda Temperance Allen of Pike Co. Ga. I do not know if there is a connection to me yet on my Garner line, but will share this information also.
Thanks,
Larry
bodacious@tyler.net

Garner

Karen James (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2000 11:53AM GMT
Here is a place you might check. I have Garner in my family also. My Grandmother and I found a lot of family here.
http://worldconnect.geneology.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?d...
or www.angelfire.com/in2/horton
I hope this helps.

John P. Garner

John R. Garner III (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2000 6:33PM GMT
Larry, John P. and Amanda were my Great Great Grandparents. John P. and his son Richard Henry Garner served together in the GA 22nd Heavy Atty, Bartow Atty, at Fort Jackson, Savannah, GA. I would appreciate any information you have about him. I have discovered a lot on the web but I would like to know more. I have found that his parents were Richard and Mary of Morgan Co. GA but I am stuck at that point and trying to go further. I do not know of a John Garner b 1818 in John P.s immediate family. Thanks for any information you may have.

John P Garner

Posted: 22 Mar 2000 10:43AM GMT
HI John
In my Allen, McDowell, Baker, Brooks line I have this information for John P. Garner and Amanda Temperance Allen of Pike Co. Ga.

This is from the McDowell (William b.abt 1759-60) line for Amanda,

33. Amanda Temperance McDowell (Charles2. William1) was born, Oct. 1829, in Pike County Ga. She married John P. Garner about 1846-7.

Amanda was named Temperance for her father's brilliant sister, Temperance, but she was called Amanda. She and her husband lived at or near the Charles McDowell home, for at some time. John Garner bought that home which for three quarters of a century was known as the Garner place.

Amanda died, Oct. 12, 1854, at the age of twenty-five leaving three small children, the oldest just six years old. A step-mother, "Aunt Eliza" to all of Amanda's nephews and nieces, very soon took over, and made the three children a "wonderful mother". Amanda is buried in Mt. Olive Cemetery by the side of her mother. John Garner died in Alabama.

Amanda and John Garner had the following children:

64. Richard Henry (called Henry), b. 1848; at the age of 16 he was in the Confederate Army with his father; he went to Florida to live and the family lost track of him.
65. John Charles (called Charles) b. 1849; m. Mary Pilkenton; moved to Texas; they had at least one daughter, Kitty, and one son.
66. Emma L., b. 1851-2; m. Clay Lawrence; moved to Louisiana; they had one son who died in childhood

(John Garner and his secound wife Eliza had the following
children: Mary E., George William, James D., Thomas, and Robert E.)

Additional notes:
From the sketch for Charles Mc Dowell;

"This old home place (Pine Glen), according to granddaughter Emma Garner, was long known as the "McDowell Place" and after the Civil War as the "Garner Place". The house (the warmest house I ever saw'.) stood until 1941, when an owner with no sentimental qualms had it torn down,

From the sketch of Patrick Henry McDowell;

"The older grandchildren still have pleasant memories of the old place.
Unlike his father's home, there was no hall at all, and there were six rooms; two
large central rooms opening into each other, with an open fireplace in each;
back and front there were two smaller rooms, with a wide open passage between
them; a front 'entry' and a back 'entry'. Wide flooring and wide ceiling were the
same as in the old 'McDowell' or 'Garner' home. In the 1880's there were added
at the back two rooms with a long 'piazza' extending the full length of both. The
front yard was a flower garden, whose beds were bordered by boxwood and fragrant
blue hyacinths. Near the front gate sweet white jasmine and 'seven sisters' roses
and a small moss rose bloomed in small beds there. There were Spirea, flowering
almond, yellow narcissus and jonquils, and 'butter and eggs', and a giant pink crepe
myrtle, taller even than the cedars which extended in a row across the front of
the yard just outside the fence.

If you are interested in more details for Amanda and the McDowell line let me know, but this is all I have for John P

Larry
bodacious@tyler.net

John P.

john garner (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2000 5:16PM GMT
Larry, Your information about John P. Garner,my GGGrandad,was fascinating. Richard Henry Garner was my GGrandad. You are right that he went to Florida and this side of the family lost track too. He was born in 1846 and entered the 22nd GA Heavy Atty Co.A with this father.
I have his pension application to Florida.
Do you know more of their ancestry? I have seen that John P.'s dad was Richard who married Mary Vaughn in Morgan Co., GA in 1815. Do you know his parents? Also wonder what the P. stands for? Thanks, John

John P Garner

Posted: 30 Mar 2000 5:57AM GMT
John
sorry that is all I have for John P.
I have the ancestors for Amanda
Keep a look out for my John R and I will let you know if I find anything more.
You might want to work back through John Charles that moved to Texas.
Try the Texas GenWeb site and TSLAC (Texas State Library Archives Center)
Larry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions