Search for content in message boards

McNamara surname

McNamara surname

Posted: 18 Feb 2002 12:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Mar 2002 1:19AM GMT
Surnames: McNamara
Is anyone familiar with the presence of the McNamara surname in County Clare in any specific area?

Researching late husband's family connection's in Clare prior to his father or grandfather's immigration to the East San Francisco Bay area in Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda county, California.

His father served in the U.S. Infantry during WWI. His name was either Clune or Charles McNamara. I would estimate his birth at during the late 1890's.

Primarily wanting to nail down known locations of the "clan" during the 1800's.

Appreciate any info.
BE SAFE,
Helen Mc
California

Re: McNamara surname

Posted: 19 Mar 2002 1:58AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2005 9:08PM GMT
Did you know that Sheedy is connected with the McNamara name?

My Sheedys were in Lisnafaha, Co Clare and may have been there for some time period.

Posted: 19 Mar 2002 3:28AM GMT
Edited: 21 Mar 2002 1:19AM GMT
Dear Alanna,
Thank you for the information. Yours is the first clue I have so far.
My brother-in-law and his wife have not answered my request for information and it is driving me up the wall. None of us are getting any younger!

There is also a cousin who I had forgotten about entirely and he might have some information if they would just send me his address so I could contact him.

I am just now devoting my time to Ireland. I have my grandmother's family to find in County Cork and his father's family in Clare.

I will check Lisnafaha out once I get more information.

I appreciate your response. Thanks again;
Helen Mc

Posted: 20 Mar 2002 2:37PM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2005 6:29PM GMT
Hello. There is a Bridget McNamara in my husband's family line. Bridget McNamara (b. 1839) married Michael McAllen, Co. Clare, Ireland, and they had 5 dauthters born between 1869-1880. The McAllens had a farm in Gortaveha, Co. Clare. One of Bridget and Michael's daughters was my husbands's great-grandmother. Any connection to anyone?

Posted: 20 Mar 2002 4:05PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2005 9:08PM GMT
I saw some time ago that the Clare Heritage Center will do some research in Clare for you. It is a lot of money. It costs a certain amount in Irish money and far more in US $. There has been a money conversion in Europe, so I do not know if that has effected the ratio that I saw on the site. I do not remember the address for the site.

I found that the Bank of America in he US will do a conversion for you. I do not know the cost.

You must learn how to do your own research. In my US side everyone was old when they had children, so everyone is dead. If they are not dead, they know nothing and not care at all. In Ireland my aunt said that what I did not know will not hurt me. It does, especially if it has to do with health. Again, I am really the only one working on the family lines.

So, if you can not obtain answers from your family even one scrap at a time, you are on your own. A couple of times I have had nice folks find that they had a link to mine, but mostly I am on my own.

Good Luck

Posted: 20 Mar 2002 4:09PM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2005 6:29PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Actually a relative paid to obtain the information we do have (going back 5 generations) from the Clare Heritage Society. I just replied to try to help out persons seeking McNamaras from Co. Clare.

Posted: 21 Mar 2002 1:24AM GMT
No connections yet. I am premature searching in clare. I really don't have enough information yet. Just getting a feel for the County and waiting for my late husband's siblings to get off the pot and send me some significant information.
Helen

Posted: 21 Mar 2002 1:45AM GMT
Hi Maureen,
Next to Kathleen, Maureen is my favorite name.

I have my own family almost finished except for mullen (and variant spellings) someplace in cork. It seemed once they came to the U.S. Records offices seemed to think County Cork was like a small town or something. Nowhere on their records can I find where the heck in Cork the three siblings were born NOR a Parish where they were christened. Eek.

My son started bugging me to research his father's (RIP) ancestors and once again all I have is they came from "county Clare".

The timing is really bad cause there is a little legal thing going on between the siblings re the estate of another sibling. I am not sure if I will get any co-operation or not.
My mothr-in-law lived with the son and his wife I made the request of and they probably have everything like her retirement and soc sec. records and possible marriage record etc. She also probably talked about the father of this group of seven (five left fighting it out). He died when my husband was thirteen. All I know about the father for sure is that he served in the US Army Infantry during WW I. but I'm not sure if he was born in Ireland or the US.

He ended up in the East San Francisco Bay area working in construction was injured and died leaving her widowed with the 7 kids.

Someone has all that information. One brother made a crack about finding skeletons and I said who the h___ cares! I wanted to tell him to check out his Parish church if he is worried about skeletons. He is playing Mr. Holyier than thou.

Oh and there is a cousin about the same age as the siblings whose mother was the kid's father's sister, he certainly might be able to help-IF they will just send me his name and address.
I tend to get up set. Stay in touch,
Helen

Terry Meade (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2002 6:31PM GMT
Helen,

My grandmother was a Catherine McNamara, born c 1875. She emigrated from Colmanstown, County Clare, to US in 1901. She joined her brother Thomas in Chicago. I don't think there is any connection to the group your looking for, but I can tell you that County Clare had numerous McNamara families. Check Griffith's Land Valuation, 1855, County Clare, you will find a wealth of McNamaras, the townland, and civil parish where the land was located. It's a free, on-line data base which may give you some clues to start with. Ellis Islan passenger lists is another, free data base to learn of any ancestors who arrived at the Port of New York between 1892 and 1924.

Helen McNamara (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2002 8:36PM GMT
Hi Terry,
Thanks for the information.
Unfortunately, the family came to the United States before the Ellis Island Project.

It appears that they came about 1864 which was when the specific search subject was eight years old.(b. Apr. 1856, per 1900 Fed. census)I haven't figured out yet when they came to California.

Do you know how to access Griffith's Land Valuation of 1855?
Thanks, Helen

Fortunately, they were still in Ireland for the 1855 Griffith's Land valuation.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions