Search for content in message boards

Capsized boat near St. Joseph

Capsized boat near St. Joseph

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 6:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Steketee, Traas, Pikaar, Pekaar
I'm wondering if anyone could tell me where to search for information about a capsized boat and drowning that happened in September of 1857 near St. Joseph. My ancestor Andries Steketee drowned in his capsized boat along with his two sons. I don't have any other information, but thought there might have been an article about it in the newspaper of the time. Andries Steketee was from Holland, Michigan. His wife's maiden name was Neeltje Traas.

Re: Capsized boat near St. Joseph

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 12:48PM GMT
Try http://www.boatnerd.com/

There is a list of Great Lakes Shipwrecks there. It list names of boats, dates, and how many lives lost. It is listed under boat names by alphabet so you may need to search through every alphabetical letter for the date that you have if you don't have the boat's name. I haven't used the site myself but it looks interesting. Perhaps your boat wasn't big enough to be included in this database - I just don't know. Good luck!

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 1:07PM GMT
Thanks for the information. I'll try that website and see what I find...but you probably are correct in thinking that the boat was too small to be of any significance.

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 2:06AM GMT
I read about a boat that sank about that time I think it was headed for Chicago loaded with a huge peach harvest. I read about it in a book about early Berrien county. "Historical Sketches of Berrien County" by Robert C. Myers. He is the Curator of the old county court house museum in Buchanan, they have early vital stats from the county court house before it was relocated the to St. Joseph. Hope this helps

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 1:30PM GMT
Thank you Jodi for the lead. I will check on that book and see what I can find.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic