Search for content in message boards

Cowley/Shaw

Cowley/Shaw

Patrick Finnerty (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2002 3:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shaw/ Cowley
I am interested in researching these two families and finding any relatives out there who are connected. My Shaw family came from the Bunree, Ballina area which is in the parish of Kilmoremoy. It was part of Co. Sligo until 1898. Anthony b. 1818 son of Robert and Anne Shaw married Bridget Cowley from Rathmeel, Kilmoremoy parish, Co. Sligo in 1841. After their marriage they lived in Rathmeel. They had several children, Robert, Mary, Bridget, Margaret, Patrick and Anthony. I would like to go back further or contact anyone who may be decended from them also.
Patrick.

Re: Cowley/Shaw

Posted: 5 Jan 2003 8:24PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2003 10:00PM GMT
My maternal Shaws are from Sligo or Mayo; the exact location is unclear. One family member said lived about 10 miles from Knock where they attended Mass. I have Antony's, Patricks, Roberts, and Margarets in the family. My gggrandfather James (born 1824 in Connaught) and his parents left Ireland around 1841 to go to Huddersfield, Yorkshire. The Shaw family, along with other Irish Catholic immigrants, helped to build St. Patrick's R.C. Church in the area. We think that James' father's name was Antony. James married Margaret Leydon (County Mayo) in Huddersfield. They had sixteen children. James and many of the children came to the US when Margaret died. I have Shaws on the paternal side of the family also, but I do not have much information on them yet. I hope this information is helpful and that maybe there is a relationship with your Shaws.

Posted: 8 Jan 2003 9:12PM GMT
Hi Adrienne,
Thats interesting that you have Anthonys and Roberts in your Shaw connection. The earliest record I have is Robert Shaw born c. 1779, not sue where but he died in Pulawrla (Bunree), Co. Sligo, in the parish of Kilmoremoy, which is now all in Co. Mayo. Knock is quite far from us however, it's in south Mayo. Robert had three son that I know of, Anthony, my GGGgrandfather, Robert and Andrew. Anthony's first son was Robert and his first son was Anthony, this is a tradition that still continues today with my Shaw cousins. Do you know anything else of your side of the Shaw family.
Regards,
Patrick

Posted: 9 Jan 2003 12:57AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2003 10:00PM GMT
Hello Patrick,
Thanks for the information on your Shaws. The names that James and Margaret gave some of their children were: Patrick, Anthony, Mary, Margaret, Julia, Roseanne, Frances, John, Robert, and Catherine. Do any of the girls' names sound familia? James worked for Coats and Clark and often traveled to the plant in NJ. He and most of the children settled in E. Newark, Kearny or Harrison their when his wife died. I believe he died in 1891. A distant cousin of my mother's gave conflicting informtion on where in Connaught James was from. He married Margaret Lydon from Roscommon, but I don't know if he knew her before he left Ireland to go to Huddersfield. The cousin also said that Westport was near where the Shaws lived. I know that there is a Shaw garden center in Westport. We passed it this summer but could not stop because we were on a tour. To complicate matters, there are Shaws from Ireland. on the other side of my family, but they are Charles, William, John, Peter, and Florie. William was married to a Susan White. Many Irish believe that Shaws were all Protestant, but I know that my Shaws were all Catholic. I hope this helps.
Adrienne

Posted: 11 Jan 2003 3:40PM GMT
Hi Adrienne,
Well first only the Mary, Margaret and Catherine female names are similar the rest are not in my family tree. Westport is to far from me to be connected I think, as I said my Shaws were from NW Mayo and probably came from Co. Sligo proper before Mayo. The name Shaw is mainly Protestant but my Shaws are also Catholics and have been for as far as I can trace back. Sorry that we don't seem to be able to connect anywhere.
Patrick

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 1:07PM GMT
Patrick,

I am not sure if you are still posting but I have more Shaw information. Let me know if you are still interested and I will post or refer you to my public family tree if you are on ancestry.com.
Adrienne

Posted: 5 May 2013 4:23PM GMT
Hi Adrienne,
Yes i'm still around. I would to see what you have on the Shaws. you can email me directly on pjfinnuk@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks for getting in touch.

patrick
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions