Search for content in message boards

Samuel Brown

Samuel Brown

Posted: 4 Jul 2007 2:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown
Samuel brown was a New Jersey Loyalist with Butlers Rangers He may have made his way to the Niagara region via Shelburne Nova Scotia and Kingston with a wife and one child.He lived in Stamford township Welland county then moved to Charlottsville township Norfolk county. His wifes name may have been Margaret. He had 5 sons and 4 daughters.

Re: Samuel Brown

Posted: 4 Jul 2007 3:40PM GMT
On the 1851 census here in Norfolk I found 2 Samuel Browns. Neither is old enough to be a UEL but could be the sons of UEL. #1 pg. 11 Middleton twp. Samuel Brown 57 b. USA wife Mary 53 b. Nova Scotia, Hiram 2? b. middleton, Pricsilla 16, b. CW, Henry 12 CW, James 9 b. CW.
Townsend twp. pg. 131, has Samuel 44 b. CW, his wife Margaret 35 CW, Cristy 16, Charlotte 15, Hugh 14, Archibald 13, Neal 11,, George 9, Samantha 6, Margaret 1, all these children b. Canada and farther down the page with John & Rebecca Petrie is Hannah age 4. Are either of these families yours and what would you like looked up? yours Angie

Posted: 5 Jul 2007 5:53AM GMT
Hi Angie I am descended from the first listing Samuel and Mary. His Father ( also Samuel)is listed as a UEL in 1786 @ Niagara. Supposedly he lived in Stamford Township Welland County until 1800 when he moved his family to Charlottville Twsp Norfolk. I cant find his land holding in Stamford. Or any info about the family in Stamford. Any suggestions????

Posted: 5 Jul 2007 12:03PM GMT
I take it you did the land abstracts & the land books as well as the petitions for land? Some times when they got the land it was in another area like Charlotteville sometimes they sold it and moved to an area where they got a better deal. Also try the UEL assoiation in Niagara they may have someone who is following the family. Also the marriages & death of the children often listed were they were born, and if you are lucky parents names & birth places. The book The Long point settlers by Robert Mutrie has a little on your Samuel says he purchased land in Walsingham Norfolk county in 7 Jan. 1797. Try to order the book at your library. Angie

Posted: 5 Jul 2007 3:25PM GMT
Hi Angie Thank you for the help. I live on Vancouver Island B.C. so i dont think i have ready access to land records.There were 2 Samuel Browns, one in Charlottville and the other in Walsingham.Also my Samuel may have come through Nova Scotia so may have recieved land there.I probably need to join my local family history group and find out how to get land records out here.I have a lot from census' and other records but not from the land records.Thank you for your help. PHIL

Posted: 7 Jul 2007 12:00PM GMT
Phil; You have 2 LDS family history centers near you (I think). (This is the Latter day Saints/Mormons) 308 W. 41 Ave Vancover 604-324-4338 & 5280 Kincaid St. Burnaby 604-299-8656. Sat. 10-2pm. These are free to go to and they can get copies of land abstracts for Ont. Call them some are very busy & need to have appointments. If you send your address I will mail a copy of the page for Samuel Brown in the book. Robert does a good job of research but somtimes he jumps to conclusions & clumps people with the same name together. yours Angie

Posted: 7 Jul 2007 2:24PM GMT
Dear Angie
Thank you so much for the info i will check out the mormon centers. Thanks Phil.

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 6:38PM GMT
Surnames: Brown Putman
Hi,

This is Mark Putnam from Michigan. I very likely descend from Victor Putman and his son Peter Putman. Victor, it seems, lived in Upper Mount Bethel, Northampton Co., PA, about 1740 to 1765. He was born near Mattawan, NJ, about 1721.

Peter lived in Sandyston Township, Sussex Co., NJ, and was born in 1760. He removed to the Porters Corner area of NY in Yates Co. Peter had a son John Putman who went to Canada and lived in Delhi, which is in Middleton Township, Norfolk Co. John Putman seems to be my 2nd great grandfather.

Anyways, I have always thought that since Samuel Brown of Charlotte and Middleton Townships, Norfolk Co., Ontario, had a son named Victor that Samuel married a daughter of Victor Putman, or Potman. It's a guess. The name Victor is very unusual and I think this Samuel Brown family of Norfolk Co., Ontario, came from the Ramseyburg area of NJ, which is across the river from Upper Mount Bethel.

The Marr family is from the same area, also the Lemon family.

About 1760, the only person in PA and NJ that I know of that used the first name Victor was Victor Putman. It's actually a very unsualy name. In NY in the 1790 Census only the Bicker and Putman families used the given name Victor.

I have information at http://putmanfamily.org

Mark

Posted: 13 Nov 2007 7:02PM GMT
I, too, am descended from Samuel Brown (b. 1795, d. 1856; married Mary Haley/Healy) through his son, James Frederick. Would love to share information.

Posted: 13 Nov 2007 10:27PM GMT
Hi: I would be more than happy to share what info i have. I do not have a geneology program now, my last one died before i could print my book and the disks got lost because i never bought another program so i could still send you a hard copy or GET A PROGRAM. I am trying to prove that Samuel Brown Sr. was a U.E.L. as mother and grandmother always said he was a member of Butler's Rangers. It is stated he was an U.E.L.several times before 1900 but none of the family followed up when it would have been easy so now i am trying and it is very difficult now. They are very sticky. Anyway I will give you my contact information and then we can communicate easier. e-mail is parmley@shaw.ca Phone number is 1-250-897-1749 I have free phone 24/7/365 so we can talk free if you wish just give me your number. Looking foreward to chatting. Phil
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions