Search for content in message boards

Milestown Baptist Burial Ground

Milestown Baptist Burial Ground

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 1:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Megargee
I'm looking for the burial ground of the Old Milestown Baptist Church, Oak Lane (probably in Philadelphia, PA). My great-grandfather, Milton Megargee, was buried there in 1942 and I would like to find more information about him.

Re: Milestown Baptist Burial Ground

Posted: 20 Dec 2009 2:25AM GMT
Hello....have you had any luck learning of the location of this cemetery? I also have relatives buried there, but I don't know it's address.
Thank you,
Carolee

Posted: 20 Dec 2009 3:30PM GMT
Surnames: Magargal, Megargle, Megargee, etc.
I know it was supposed to be south of Cheltenham Avenue between Oak Lane and 5th Street. In that location, there is now a shopping center. There is a church near there, but I think it is a Ukrainian church. Also, there are two roads, Oak Lane and Oak Road near 5th street, so I'm not sure which one applied to the cemetery. Looking at that location on Google maps, there is an area that looks like there are stones, but it doesn't really look like a cemetery. The Pennsylvania Genealogical magazine Vol 42 pp. 168+ in 2001 printed a list of people buried there that had gravestones, but info on most of my family was not mentioned in the article.

Posted: 20 Dec 2009 3:40PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I guess it will remain a mystery.
What a shame tho that a cemetery would just disappear.
I will try to check it out the next time I am back East and will let you know if I find anything out.
Regards,
Carolee

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 1:13AM GMT
My name is Chris Kenney. I was raised in Cheltenham PA, not far from the area of Oak Lane Rd and City Line Ave(Cheltenham Ave), My parents moved there in 1951 so I remember the area when it was still very much a middle/upper middle class suburb right next to the city in Montgomery County. That area is rich in history dating back to the revolutionary war. I do not remember a Milestown Baptist Church on the corner of Oak Lane and Cheltenham Ave. Think it was gone by then. I do remember as a young lad, playing with my friends in a run down, dilapidated cemetery on Cheltenham Ave exactly in the area you describe. It was on the Philadelphia side on Cheltenham Ave right down the road from Oak Lane and Cheltenham Ave. I still remember looking at a tombstone which read "John Smith-wounded in the battle of Gettysburg". The cemetery was removed in 1971 to unknown whereabouts. My Father saw the notice in the local paper and went down to look at the goings on when the bodies were removed. Today, the Cheltenham assisted living-retirement facility is there. Can't be sure this is cemetery you are looking for, but I would bet it is.

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 1:36AM GMT
Yes! I bet it is too. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me this information.
Regards,
Carolee

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 1:02AM GMT
Hello Lindajean,

Please email me at pricemissbee@aol.com. I have information for you regarding the Magargees buried at Milestown Baptist Cemetery.

Betty

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 12:44PM GMT
The Milestown Baptist Church Cemetery used to be located at Oak Lane and Chelten Avenue. Unfortunately it was destroyed for the construction of a gas station circa 1970. By 1985 when I got there to look at it the gas station was closed and abandoned.

The "bodies", including some several dozen of my ancestors, were relocated under court order to a common grave in a cemetery in Cheltenham. I have i's name somewhere. A law firm in Philadelphia was also appointed by the court to maintain the records.

Several of my ancestors were Megargees (Megargals) and there were a good number buried in the graveyard.

I have an entire list of burials in one of my files and will look for it.

Reed

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 1:27PM GMT
I have found my copy of the Milestown Baptist Burial Ground records. They stop too early to show a 1942 burial, but I have data on nine burials between 1850 and 1892. Do you have the name of Milton's grandparents?

The lawyer (Russell C. Gourley) who had the church records is dead. I have no idea what happened the records.

Reed

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 9:14PM GMT
Thanks for the information about Milestown. You're the first person who has had any locational information about the new gravesite. Do you know which cemetery in Cheltenham has the graves?

Milton's parents were David and Catherine Megargel/Megargal. David also may have remarried Rosie shortly before his death in 1881.

Linda Phillips
lindajeanphillips@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions