Search for content in message boards

Bowen's of Brunswick County, Virginia

Bowen's of Brunswick County, Virginia

Cynthia Haake (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2005 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bowen, Barnett
Does anyone have any information on Lowry Bowen and Lucy Barnett. Lowry married Lucy Barnett in Mecklenburg County, VA in 1818. Lucy's father was William Barnett. They had children: Alexander B. Bowen (1827-1907), Paschal P. Bowen, Martha J. Bowen (c1826), Allen Young Bowen, Mary A. Bowen (c1832), Hugh Ferdinand Bowen (c1835-1867). Hugh Ferdinand was my GGGrandfather and I have the info on the family after they moved to Brunswick Co. VA. But nothing before that.

Re: Bowen's of Brunswick County, Virginia

Posted: 25 May 2005 8:04PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2005 8:46PM GMT
I've only recently begun looking into some of the Bowens from this time period, so have yet to confirm much of this information yet through documentation. But, if you're interested, my preliminary research shows the following:

Group 1:
William Bowen [I] married Amey Andrews and had at least the following children:

David Bowen [I]
Robert Bowen
Jesse Bowen
Edith Bowen
William Bowen [II] (b. 2 Dec 1729)

Group 2:
William Bowen [II] married Lucrecy [last name unknown] and had at least the following children:

Littleberry Bowen
David Bowen [II]
Hicks Bowen
William Bowen [III]
Alexander Bowen
John "Hughberry" Bowen
Mary Bowen
Agness Bowen
[first name unknown (female)] Bowen

Group 3:
Littleberry Bowen is believed to be the father of a son born out of wedlock to Winifred Kirks. That boy was named Littleberry Kirks and is sometimes seen in records (wills, deeds, etc.) as Littleberry Kirks Bowen or Littleberry Bowen Kirks.

Winifred Kirks married Jesse Bowen (from Group 1 above), and after he died, she married Littleberry Bowen (Jesse's nephew), and the supposed biological father of Littleberry Kirks.

Jesse's sister, Edith married a Samuel Kirks.

Samuel & Winifred Kirks may be brother and sister, children of Hugh Kirks/"Curcks" and Winifred [last name unknown] - but this information is very tentative at this time.

I belive Littleberry Bowen is the father of the following children, but I do not know yet whether Winifred is the mother of Lowery and Angelina:

Littleberry Kirks
Lowery Bowen
Angelina Bowen

I believe Littleberry Bowen's son, Lowery is the Lowery/Lowry Bowen you mention who married Lucy Barnett.

I believe the "Littleberry" name derived from "Little Berry", and that there may be a maternal line of Berry's involved somewhere, but that's speculation on my part.

And again - all this information is from some very preliminary research, and I cannot confirm all the information through documentation as yet. Still, I hope it gives you something to go on...

Posted: 2 Jun 2009 11:35PM GMT
I am interested in your information on the Kirk and BowenFamily.

I descend from Samuel and Edith Kirk (s).

How did you find Hugh Kirk and Winifred? And Amy Andrews?

Thank you

Posted: 3 Jun 2009 2:46AM GMT
Hi. Just happened to be online tonight, and thought I'd post a quick response.

Several years ago a wonderful lady from West Memphis, Arkansas (who turned out to be a "half third cousin, once removed" through my Bowen family) referred me to a great site put together by Martha Hills and Frances "Cookie" Harper: http://www.geocities.com/fcullom/

If you have not already visited that site, I highly recommend it - and there are various references and cross connections that you can get to through there. They did an amazing job with their research. That put me on the trail of Amey Andrews and some of the others from that era.

I have been away from this for a while, but try and gather information from as many sources as possible as often as I can. The hard part, of course, is verifying the information you find!

I've never come across anyone who descends from this Kirk(s) line, so I'm happy to make your acquaintance. Sounds like there's a connection to my Edith (Edy) Bowen (I descend from her brother, David). I have that Samuel and Edith's son was William Kirk(s) [named after Edith's father, perhaps], and that he married Jane Arnold. I can tentatively take Jane Arnold back a few generations to Christopher Atkinson and Elizabeth Radwell of Isle of Wight Co, Virginia - but have no information on William and Jane's descendants, or any other children of Samuel and Edith.

I'm on a work detail, away from my physical genealogy files and notes, but I do have my electronic family tree on my laptop and am happy to share whatever information I have - with the understanding that I cannot claim to have verified it all. I like to think of it as a good starting place in working a great big jigsaw puzzle. As I gather more and more of the pieces, I find that some of the earlier pieces I put together fit, and some don't - so I have to set those aside and start over here and there. It may not be the most scientific approach, and it may frustrate some people who are more experienced at this than I am. But it works for me. I basically gather as much information as possible, and try to make connections in as many lines as possible. I've made some fun discoveries with this method.

If you want to communicate directly, I can be reached at karmellbowen@yahoo.com

Good luck with your research!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions