Search for content in message boards

from a Viking name to Moodie/Moody/Mudie?

from a Viking name to Moodie/Moody/Mudie?

melissa (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2006 1:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
My father's recent DNA results have shown that we descend anciently from Norway. Our last name however is Moody.
(perhaps from some form of MODI?)
At any rate the closest I can come to finding a reasonable explanation for this is that the MOODIE's of the Orkney Isles also claim to be descended from the early Norse Jarls of Orkney, Caithness, Shetland etc.
I am just wondering if by any chance anyone knows more about his Moodie family and their Norse origins.
Thank You

Re: from a Viking name to Moodie/Moody/Mudie?

Posted: 2 Sep 2006 5:01AM GMT
Ah...the DNA test again. These tests "allegedly" will tell of ancestry back through the mothers lines with accuracy. And, I won't dispute that premise.

But, the test results are not taking genealogical history or information into the information given to the tested.

Last name..."Moody". This is the problem of the explanation. There was no real last names in Norwegian history for a long period of time. The naming practices involved a "Given Name", such as Ole. If Ole's father was "Ivar", he would have been "Ole Iversen/Iverssen/etc. There was no real last name. There "last name" was their "address", where they lived. If Ole Iverssen lived on the Stenbakken farm, his name would have been "Ole Iverssen Stenbakken".

To learn about this patronymics, and other things Norwegian
go to http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/jborgose.htm
and read the articles in the second column on Surnames, first names and farm names.

You can also go to: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/index.html
and go to "my articles"

I would also highly recommend the Norway List: http://www.rootsweb.com/~norway/NorwayList.htm

It has a mailing list is where you should can subscribe to the messages at that link. The messages not only are from people all over the world, but help each other finding their lost families and discuss almost anything Norwegian, foods, culture, travel, etc. I am just one of hundreds around the world that help people like you. Unlike a lot of these Rootsweb message boards, you are among those that really dig to help. Newbies are welcome and never ridiculed (against the rules).

Posted: 17 Apr 2007 9:05PM GMT
Don't attach too much importance to this. The Moody heartland is in south Hampshire. I am descended from Hampshire Moodys(from Hursley, between Romsey and Winchester)and my mother's family are Petts from Wickhambreaux, by Canterbury. These are precisely the two areas, Kent and the New Forest, supposed by the Saxon historian, the monk Bede, to have been settled by Jutes, from the Denmark area, and I also am genetically Scandinavian. But don't confuse genetic ancestry with genealogy based on surnames.

Posted: 18 Apr 2007 6:28AM GMT
If ou would like to read up on all this I recommend "The Tribes of Britain" by David Miles published by Phoenix in 2005.
Derek

Posted: 22 Apr 2007 3:16PM GMT
Hi
Many of the Modig people took the Moody, Modie name in America as it was easier to spell.
regards,
Alicia

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Mudie
Shirley Mudie, my relations are from Scotland, Forfarshire, Angus now and from a book written by Sir Frances Mudie, The 'Mudies of Angus' the Angus line is all of Viking stock. Moody is one of the names derived from the original name as mine is. I found the book in the library in Dundee. It was published in 1959 and is out of print. I would love to find someone who has it and would gladly pay for a photo copy!! It is loaded with wonderful information!! This is probably why your DNA is showing Nordic. In a Name origins book in the SLC library it states that the Vikings raided the coast of Scotland around 800 AD near the river Tay and Dundee.I will need to go back and look again as I can not find my copy but the name of the viking that stepped off the ship was something like Mudi. Hope this helps!!

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 1:14PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions