Search for content in message boards

Asa Emanuel Hendrix b 1887 in AL d 1965 in FL

Asa Emanuel Hendrix b 1887 in AL d 1965 in FL

Julie Hendrix (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2000 9:00PM GMT
I'm looking for info on my grandfather Asa Emanuel, born in Monroe Co AL married Mable Esther Heath. They had 14 children, in Hillsborough Co FL. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted: 2 May 2000 1:54PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2002 2:44AM GMT
this is genealogy given to me from minnie ollie hendrix prevatt.. as follows.the hendrix family moved from birmingham, ala in the year 1873 to florida.my great grandfather, james hendrix and his sons, my grandfather and his brothers, which were, peter, noah, ruben. ruben being my grandfather.james hendrix also had two daughters, lucy hendrix kelly and arta hendrix garner, james hendrix was married to a second wife, and hadon by the second wife, his name was joe hendrix. the second wifes name was cloie. joe hendrix had a son, bill hendrix. peter hendrix, mt grandfathers brother was married to marqate summers (some say sommerall ) from mississippi, he had five sons, jim, arch roe, asa, lot. or lat? and five daughters,peggy, callie, polly, arta and nannie. noah had three sons, asa, willie and harry and two daughters nancy,and mary. ruben hendrix my grandfather had four sons, moses (my father) jerome, lee, joe and three daughters lucy,cloie and callie. james hendrix daughter arta garner had three sons joe, charlie jim, three daughters sallie, belle maude. lucy kelly had no children.my grandfather ruben married fannie summer or (summerall) from mississippi, a sister of peter hendrix wife. they had a very rough trip from alabama to florida. drawn covered wagons, with milk cows following, tied behind. with their forage and grain packed along with crude cooking utensils, home made food and clothes. ed garners wife arta was with child, on their way they came across an old school house of one room, ed arta garner staid there until their child was born. the journeying party came ahead and the garners came on later by following cut blazes in trees as road map. i only remember from childhood this, days as for how many and the names of mary and nancy hendrix i dont know(nancy married a hagin mary married a little). roe, asa arch had no children. in memory of my grandfather, i composed this poem. minnie olive hendrix prevatt ( husband elisha elhannon prevatt) daughter of mose hendrix. sixty three years of age , this being 1957. my people setteled in bloomingdale fl and brandon, by claiming homesteads joe hendrix, my grandfathers half brother setteled in sarasota, fl. the poem as follows printed in tampa tribune. in memory of my grandfather pioneer: how many of us have time to think of our dear old fathers and the years of drudgery they spent. in the land of the wilds, to which they journeed for miles and miles in covered wagons, plodding along on their uncanny way, expecting to have a more prosperous day. it was after the cival war they came, with courageous hearts aflame. expecting to come to the front again. and with sharp axes in hard and sinewy hands, they cut the road to our now surfaced land. and followed that trail to old tampa bay to where the northerners come to stay an that for a year and a day. but they think of their shrine and not of the grruelsome time of the dear old hatseed pioneer. twas he, his long whiskers and had brogans, that setteled this land. in where the northerners say, we have no winters, where strawberries rippen in december . buy who is due this praise? the one who cut the blaze, twas he that would take a lot of tatters to old tampabay and perhaps under an oak tree shade, he would trade for something factory made. thats when franklin had board sidewalks you know, with roadsas white of sand as white as snow .now thats where the boosters stay, realtors, but they think of their sphere, but not of the old pioneer. if he could go back here he would feel so near old tampabay, he could come and go in just one day, and have lots of time to stay, but he'd have the gas man to pay, this dear old pioneer

hendrix genealogy

Posted: 2 May 2000 2:07PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2002 2:44AM GMT
bay minete ala was mentioned as a place they had lived. minnie hendrix prevatt and elisha el hannon had ten children , lived in wimauma fl and tampa.would appreciate anyinfo anyone might have on this family thank you robert prevatt
Posted: 5 May 2000 3:47PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2001 2:30AM GMT
Julie,

I mailed some information to you, but I have about 4,200 names in my file. If you can accept it, I could download and send to you. I have additional information on the Meetze, Kelly (Khele), Crout, Sprenckel, etc., lines.

Please e-mail me again, as I did not save your e-mail address. I will capture it and forward what I have.

By the way, which son of Asa Mabel is your father/grandfather? My mother gave me some of the names of their children, but the only ones I remember are Oneta (or Oleta) and Carrie. Carrie just came to my grandmother's funeral some months ago.

Please advise.

Susan

Susan

Alabama-Florida Hendrix Family

Howard Blount (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2000 6:38AM GMT
This message is for Robert Prevatt who posted the story by Minnie Olive Hendrix Prevatt. My name is Howard Blount and I am the great-great-grandson of Israel (not Ed) Garner and Artemisia Hendrix Garner who had the baby Sally Garner near the end of the trip. Please e-mail me HowardBlount@teacher.com so we can compare notes.

Asa Emanuel Hendrix

Posted: 6 Jun 2000 6:42AM GMT
Julie, Asa Emanuel was born in Florida, not Alabama. The family left Alabama in 1872.

hendrix peter noah

Posted: 6 Jun 2000 3:41PM GMT
Edited: 8 May 2002 3:50AM GMT
they each had a son named asa according to history i have

Asa Emanuel Hendrix

Posted: 6 Jun 2000 4:38PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2001 2:30AM GMT
Howard,

According to my grandmother (and she could have been wrong, but not normally about family matters), Nancy Drucilla Corley Hendrix went BACK to Alabama to give birth to her youngest child, who was Asa.

The story goes that Drucilla was visiting her sister in Mobile Co., AL when she gave birth to Asa.

I believe Julie is correct about her grandfather's birth place.

They returned to Florida after Asa's birth. The family was still living in Florida.

Susan Sheppard
Posted: 8 Jun 2000 8:11PM GMT
Edited: 8 May 2002 3:50AM GMT
for howard blount, there were two men named asa in the hendrix line, peter hendrix had a son asa, also jim, arch, roe lot or lat? noah hendrix,had a son asa, willie harry ,according to minnie hendrix prevatt ,roe.asa arch had no children.

Asa

Posted: 8 Jun 2000 9:18PM GMT
Your information is correct, Robert. But in addition to Noah Barnabus Hendrix's son, Asa Emmanuel, and Peter Henddrix's son, Asa Sampson, there were two other Asas that I know of. Israel and Artemisia (Hendrix) Garner had a son Joseph Asa, my great-grandfather. Peter and Reuben Hendrix also had a brother named Asa Sampson. The person you are referring to as Lot or Lat is spelled "Lott."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions