Search for content in message boards

SAR and DAR applications

SAR and DAR applications

Posted: 21 May 2012 10:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stanford Faulk Oliff Jackson
I have a very stupid question regarding applications for SAR and DAR. I have been looking at a few, pertaining to ancestors, on Ancestry.com.

When an application is submitted with the genealogical information, what, exactly, is confirmed by the organizations? Only that the ancestor did participate in the American Revolution, or all names and dates submitted as far as lineage?

I ask because of conflicting information, not on the applications, about John Stanford and Rachel, that I find elsewhere on Ancestry.com.

I just want to make sure I am looking at the right information, especially when the names of children, etc...are the same.

Making my head spin. :)

Thanks!

Re: SAR and DAR applications

Posted: 29 May 2012 1:08AM GMT
To the best of my knowledge the organizatison only traces from the minimum.....
My mother recently applied for membership in the DAR, her patriot was a proven participant as was the lineage down to about three generations down. She only had to prove through birth and death certificates and perhaps marriage licenses the lineage from that point to her. when I submit my SAR app I will only have to submit my birth certificate tacked onto her DAR number.
I hope this helps.

Posted: 29 May 2012 2:01AM GMT
Yep, it helps! With all the information out there, I wanted to make sure I am headed in the right direction. Thank you SO much for replying to my question, I really appreciate it very much!

Posted: 30 May 2012 4:14AM GMT
I should also point out that a DAR applicant must give more proof of descendancy than the SAR applicant. I applied to SAR and where there were holes the SAR genealogist worked to get it approved. It's legitimate, but SAR will take anyone who has even the slightest connection to the Revolution. Even if all they did was provide shelter to a soldier, it counts with SAR. DAR is a little more stringent along those lines.

But I do believe SAR has some very good genealogists working for them, and I would trust anything they find.

Posted: 30 May 2012 6:05AM GMT
That is what I thought. I asked because I thought it would be best to trust a SAR or DAR application, especially if I saw discrepancies elsewhere. Right now I can't even think of which person I was researching when I saw something different elsewhere. I still didn't know how far SAR or DAR went to actually verify anything either. ;) Thank you SO much!

Posted: 10 Feb 2014 5:01PM GMT
The DAR reviews all proofs submitted to see if they are adequate. If they are not adequate, they contact the applicant and request additional proofs.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions