Search for content in message boards

Marit Johansdattar

Marit Johansdattar

Posted: 18 Sep 2006 4:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: Johansdattar, Johannesson, Lyngby, Knudsen
My gg grandmother Marit Johansdattar is found in the Digitalarkivet Utflytta frå Biri 1814-1901 as arriving in 1822 with the following info (at least this is the translation I come up with) Barn "Aurdal South (name of county), child to a Betler wife (is related to a female that either was someone who inherited the farm, or was a widow of a farmer?) Baptized in the Church of Biri"
My question is this...I've gone through the list of other arrivals in 1822 but cannot find who Marit arrived in Biri with. Can someone take a look for me and see if they can find a connection?
Thanks.
Pattie
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

Re: Marit Johansdattar

PR (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2006 6:46PM GMT
That database lists persons registered as leaving Biri between 1814-1901. The child Marit Johansdatter does not appear to be listed as connected with anyone else in that particular database - whether because of the database structure or some other reason - perhaps the original record could not be read, etc.
But the database does clearly tell you that Marit was baptised in Biri church 18 April 1822. If you were to order LDS microfilm copy of the 1822 baptisms in the Biri Oppland church (film #0125453) - you should find a record which will list the names of her parents and probably the name of their residence (farm).
How-to read and use the Norwegian church records --
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Posted: 18 Sep 2006 6:52PM GMT
Thanks so much. Did I get the translation correct?
Pattie

kaare n (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2006 9:30PM GMT
The record on Marit
http://www.slektshistorielaget.no/kilder/gjovik/databaser2/D...

Løpenr: 28
Kirke: Biri kirke
Barnet født: 18.04.1822
Barnet døpt: 21.04.1822
Barnets fornavn: Marit
Barnets etternavn: Johansdatter
Farens fornavn: Johan
Farens etternavn: Olsen
Farens stand, stilling:
Morens fornavn: Sedsel
Morens etternavn: Bjørnsdatter
Morens stand, stilling: Enke
Foreldrenes bosted: Søndre Aurdal pr.gjeld
Faddere: John og magrete Taralsrud, Christen Taralsrud, Peder Hovde, Guri Bjugeseie.
Diverse: Faderen Johan Olsen skal være død i nov.1821. Moderen fødte barnet paa Biri kirkei, da hun gikk omkring og betlet.

Avskrift ved Bjørn Alund.

4ing (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2006 8:42AM GMT
The mother Sedsel Bjørnsdatter from Søndre Aurdal parish was a widow after Johan Olsen who died in November 1821. The mother was a beggar-woman in Biri when she gave birth to the child. She probably moved back to Søndre Aurdal with the child, and the child's entry in the migration list is probably due to the need for a certificate.

Posted: 19 Sep 2006 1:05PM GMT
Thanks for the replies.
How very sad for Marit & her mother! I did have her parents name but now I know when her father died.
Thanks again.
Pattie

Posted: 29 Sep 2006 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: Lyngby, Johannesson
Is Lyngby a farm name in Norway?

Marit Johansdattar married Johannes Knudsen. Johannes died in 1862 in Lyngby u/Nord-Unset and Marit died October 5,1903 at Lyngby af Kluge.
They had three children and one was my great grandmother, Mathea, who was born in 1859 in Biri, Norway. Mathea and her siblings started to use the last name of "Lyngby" at some point.
I'm in contact with Lyngby relatives in Norway and in the USA...but no one can figure out why the name was changed to Lyngby from Johannesson.
I've been searching for a missing son of Mathea for 30 years and have just about decided to end my search. Just hoping someone can give me some insight into the Lyngby name.
Thanks.
Pattie

Garth Ulrich (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2006 2:37AM GMT
Sondre Aurdal, also called Sør Aurdal, is i n a region of Norway called Valdres. See http://www.valdressamband.org

Garth

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: Lyngby
My great-grandfather, Karinus Johannessen, bought part of the Kluke farm near Biri in 1903. He named the farm Lyngby. It was sold in 1935 & the name was changed to Thime. Lyng means heather or lush green ground cover & by means settlement. My grandfather (Mattias/Matt Lyngby) had a sisters named Marthe Marie, Anna, & Astrid and brothers Kristian & Olaf.

When the purchase of the farm was first recorded, it was LYGNBY so early records of my grandfather had that spelling. We were told it was a recording error but Karinus insisted it stay that way. After he died, the change was made & my grandfather's last name was Lyngby when he left NorwY.

Hope this helps & we may even be related!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic