Search for content in message boards

DIEKHUS, Bernard "Ben"

DIEKHUS, Bernard "Ben"

Joanie Ingraham (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: DIEKHUS, PETERS, SCHARNBERG, OSTER
Bernard "Ben" Diekhus, age 85, passed away on Thursday, September 16, 1999 at Lakeview Manor in Weyauwega, WI. He was born on June 25, 1914 to Richard and Anna (Peters) Diekhus at Clara City, MN. He moved with his family to Faithorn, MI, where he worked for Henry Walli at a fur farm for many years. He was called to ac-tive duty overseas on March 18, 1942, as a heavy truck driver. He was in the battles of Naples Foggia, Rome Arno, North Apennines, Rhineland-Central Europe, separating from the service in October, 1945, as a Corporal T5. He received citations in the American Theater, European African, Middle Eastern Service Stripe, Victory Medal and Good Conduct Medal. On May 3, 1952, he married Virgil Elaine Scharnberg, and they made their home in Milwaukee until his retirement on June 25, 1979. They moved to Harrisville on November 7, 1979. He was an active member in the Harrisville Fire Department and VFW, and served for six years on the church council at St. John's Lutheran Church of Harrisville.
He is survived by his wife, Virgil; two daughters, Anita (Chuck) Oster of Sussex and Naomi Diekhus, Harrisville; two grand-sons, Craig Oster and Eddie Diekhus; two sisters, Connie Fergeson, Crofton, MD and Alida Rager, Peoria, IL. He was preceded in death by a granddaughter, Jeannie Oster; his parents; two sisters and two brothers.
Funeral services will be held on Saturday, September 25, at 11 a.m. at St. John's Lutheran Church in Harrisville. Graveside services will follow at the Town of Harris Cemetery.
Posted with permission from The Marquette County Tribune, September, 1999.

Re: DIEKHUS, Bernard "Ben"

Posted: 13 Mar 2010 11:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've been researching the Diekhus's on my side, and saw your post. I'm having trouble locating Anna and Richard's date and place of passing. I knew they ended up in Michigan. I also have all the children except Dick. Anna is my great grand mother's sister (Alice Hoferer) I have been searching for Dietrich Diekhus and you have him as Richard, do you have info on the name change? or any info at all. I just found Bernard and put him in my tree this week. I hope you can help!!! Thanks Scott

Re: DIEKHUS, Bernard "Ben"

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 1:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Henry David Walli V
Hi Scott,

Ben Diekhus was a special person in my family's history.
He worked at our Faithorn, Michigan fox farm for many years.
I will never forget, it was about the summer of 1942, as a young boy at our other fox farm in Stephenson, Michigan. He was in full uniform walking up the driveway. He had just gotten a ride from some girls from Green Bay, Wisconsin to Stephenson. He was heading home to Faithorn to visit with his family before going overseas. We had a 1939 Ford car parked in the garage. My mom said "Bennie, you take the car to Faithorn. Ben was like a member of our family. I have pictures of Ben as he worked on our fox farm. Please feel free to contact me at handyhenry226@yahoo.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic