Search for content in message boards

Installing on external hard drive

Installing on external hard drive

Posted: 4 Sep 2011 2:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
After researching genealogy software, I have decided to purchase Legacy. Is it possible to install program on external hard drive so I can work from the external drive without having to load it on my laptop? I was thinking that I would be able to take external drive with me and could use it on my daughter's computer without having to load program to her computer.

Re: Installing on external hard drive

Posted: 4 Sep 2011 4:37PM GMT
I don't believe that will work as Legacy plays with the computer's Register so must be installed.

Posted: 4 Sep 2011 8:19PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. If I can not completely work off of my external hard drive, can I use the external hard drive to store all my info without it storing on my home computer? If so, I could install the program on my daughter's computer and only use her hard drive for the program.

Posted: 4 Sep 2011 8:57PM GMT
I believe that you can but haven't actually done it.

Posted: 10 Sep 2011 7:50PM GMT
Peggy,
A very simple solution is to use Ceedo. Then you have no need to carry a hard drive with you because you can install Ceedo and Legacy onto a USB thumbdrive. This is the way I work and it really is so simple and easy.

Dave

Should add that if you prefer a hard drive they will also work together on that.

Posted: 1 May 2012 4:47AM GMT
Yes, that's how I do it. My files are stored on my external hard drive and the program knows how to find them once it's told where to the find your files. I only had to tell it once when I saved the first family file. From then on, it's automatically gone to the correct location.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic