Search for content in message boards

Allan; Allen; Glassey in Armagh

Allan; Allen; Glassey in Armagh

Posted: 7 May 2002 12:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jul 2005 7:24PM GMT
I am looking for information regarding my GtGtGrandfather, James Allen, m. Mary Jane Glassey in Armagh Diocese in 1834.
One child, b. abt 1840-45 was my Gt Grandfather Joseph Allan. There may have been another son, Thomas.
James Allen was described as a farmer when Joseph m. Margaret Miller (in Scotland) in 1868.
Any leads will be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Bruce Allan, Montreal

Re: Allan; Allen; Glassey in Armagh

Posted: 1 Jul 2004 3:56PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2004 1:20AM GMT
Surnames: ALLEN/GRANT
I am looking for a Joseph Allen, who married a GRANT in county Armagh. In 1913, he is mentioned on my GR GR grandfather's Will as a brother-in-law and Trustee of the Will. Joseph's daughters were Rebecca and Sarah also mentioned in the Will. A David Allen is also named in the Will. Might these names appear in your genealogical line?

Posted: 20 Jul 2004 12:36AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2005 7:23PM GMT
Hello Toni,
Unfortunately, my Joseph Allan/en seems to have left Armagh around 1845, although he did visit on occasion, while living in Dundee, and his second wife, Isobella Fraser, came from Newtownhamilton.
I have absolutely no material on his Armagh family, apart from parents (James Allen and Mary Jane Glassey). There sems to have been a brother/cousin/uncle named Thomas Allen (witness at J's wedding).
Irish records are sketchy and I have been so far unable to piece together the family. Given the habit of naming kin after parents and other relatives, it is possible that your Joseph is a part of my family, but we need far more to go on.
good luck
Bruce Allan, Montreal

Posted: 20 Jul 2004 1:36AM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2004 1:20AM GMT
Thank you for checking!! One just never knows when a connection will come into view. I hope we bump into each other in the future, or should I say "more distant past". Best wishes to you as well. Toni

Kathie Perrett (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2004 6:41PM GMT
Surnames: Atkinson, Beattie, Hanna, Lutton, Turkington
Hi Bruce,
I noticed the GLASSEY name in your post. I have an Eleanor GLASSEY (my g g grandmother) married to John ATKINSON, dates unknown. Their daughters were Emily b1867 in Derry Mac Fall, Armagh; Rebecca, Dinah b1870 and Sara. Any possible connection to your Mary Jane GLASSEY?
Thanks,
Kathie Perrett
Montreal

Posted: 28 Jul 2004 11:29PM GMT
Kathie
You're in the right time frame for my Glassey, though I don't yet have anything much to go on. Evidently the name was common but not wide spread in Armagh. I will look to see what else I have been sent by others a couple of years back.

Mary Jane Glassey married my Gt gt grandfather James Allen in Armagh in1834. So far searches have not unearthed M-j's line.

\as we are both in Montreal we could comunicate more directly if you wish.
regards,
Bruce Allan, Montreal (NDG)

Posted: 28 Aug 2004 1:26AM GMT
Kathy
I have no other data about the Glasseys. Your Dates could fit with Mary Jane G but ,so far, I have been unable to find records beyond those linking James Allen, my GGGrandfather,in marriage to her.
Being also of Montreal we could compare notes more directly if you wish.
regards,
Bruce Allan Montreal

Posted: 31 May 2012 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: Allan, Cable, Ogilvie, Campbell
Hi Bruce,

I am replying to a post that you made on the 9th Oct. 1999 about Allans in Dundee. This reply is on behalf of my friend Fred Campbell who is not so computer literate as myself. Fred is related to Burton Cable who was either the father or grandfather of the Thomas Cable who married Ann Ogilvie. As I say this is his tree not mine. I would really appreciate a response to this email.

Cheers,

Grant Muckart

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 8:23PM GMT
Are you the Bruce Allan who graduated from MRHS in 1963? We are trying to find you for a reunion in September 2013.

Val Acland
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions