Search for content in message boards

Porter family of Connecticut

Porter family of Connecticut

MM (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2004 12:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jun 2004 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
In the early 1700s the Porters came to Hebron and Lebanon, Conn. and live there today... Do you have any history to share?? or allied families. THANK YOU

Re: Porter family of Connecticut

Margaret Cahalane Hayes (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2005 4:24AM GMT
I have Samuel Porter & Sarah Elliott who lived in Lebanon, CT from about 1750 & moved to Hartford, VT in the late 1770s. Their children (Wm. (1749), Sarah (1753), Eliot (1757), Molly (1761), Samuel (1766) were all born in Lebanon.

I am fairly certain that Samuel Sr. & Sarah were born in Salem (1722) & Beverley (1725), MA

MM (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2005 12:28PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Tarbox
Thank you for your reply...... About the dates you have is my Porters........ John Porter and LYdia Tarbox married Dec. 7, 1741 in Hebron, Ct... children Lydia, Daniel, Hannah, Timothy, Layton.... My line is Timothy and Abigail West married May 7, 1769 in Hebron, Ct.. There in confusion from my line back for me... You might be able to work our lines together......

MM (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2005 9:26PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Tarbox
I just had one more thought.... Before the Porters were in Lebanon, Ct. and Hebron-Andover, Ct. in the early 1700s... they were in and around Hadley, Ma... and before that Windsor, Ct...... Marge

Margaret Cahalane Hayes (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2005 12:38AM GMT
If you've searched town & church records (incl. land sales & purchases) & you know your Porters came from Hadley, then they're descended from John Porter of Windsor, CT. There's an old book by Henry Porter Andrews. The Descendants of John Porter of Windsor, CT. Saratoga, Bull, 1893.... rife with errors but it's a start. When I first started researching, I tho't my family was from Windsor but soon found I was barking up the wrong Porter tree. There's probably more recent stuff than the Andrews book.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 1:53AM GMT
Hi I have been researching the porter line....mine works up from pomfret Vt with Albert D Porter and Agnes (Mary) Colburn to Samuel and Persis...I too am stuck at the next level....I thought it was the Samuel porter and Sarah Elliot out of Salem but I may have hit a wall there...apparently Samuel born in 1722 died in 1750 at the age of 27 and is buried in Boxford mass. I did however stumble across a new london, CT birth notice from 1766 noting a Samuel born to a Samuel and Sarah Porter...but it goes dry there too. Have you had any more luck? I plan to check the Peabody Essex Museum archives in Salem.

Posted: 13 Aug 2014 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Does anyone know who the parents of Samuel Porter Sr. born in Salem 1722 and married to Sarah Elliott are? I believe that they are Benjamin (son of Israel) and Hannah Endicott, but haven't found anything to prove this. There are so many Samuel Porter's born in this time period.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic