Search for content in message boards

John N. Davenport, Kentucky-Washington Co. VA. died c. 1837.

John N. Davenport, Kentucky-Washington Co. VA. died c. 1837.

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davenport
Seeking information on John N. Davenport, who left orphans Edwin L., Emily H., John N., Joseph T., Martha E., and Margaret Ann circa 1837 in Washington County, VA.

I descend through Margaret Ann, who married William M.G. Sandoe. We know the Davenport family moved to Washington Co., VA from Kentucky, but not when. I have no other info on John N. Davenport than that he died around June 1837 but we believe he was born in Kentucky. No info on spouse. Any help is welcome! Thanks!

Re: John N. Davenport, Kentucky-Washington Co. VA. died c. 1837.

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 12:53PM GMT
Many Happy Greetings: I believe your John N. (Is this John Noel) Davenport's grave has been found near Blackwell's Chapel, Wash. Co WCV (by Charlie Barnett & Carol Hawthorne). He has sent me pictures... the tombstone was found in the woods with the cemetery long overgrown. If interested, my mail is tlas101@aol.com. Jack Hockett

p.s. As I recall, Claiborne was kin to Lewis Walden, s/o Richard Walden and Martha Davenport, d/o Henry Davenport and his first wife, Sarah, believed, Sarah Terry.

Re: John N. Davenport, Kentucky-Washington Co. VA. died c. 1837.

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 1:10AM GMT
Hi! I actually don't know for certain if the the N stands for Noel. All I knew until very recently was the name and the children, again from a court document.

I was contacted by another Davenport descendent who also thought this was Jonathan Noel Davenport and provided some information from oral histories of a grandmother and great-aunt who grew up in Washington Co. VA. They said this Jonathan was married to Charity Whitaker and was son of Jonathan Davenport and Patsy Cothin. This Jonathan had a brother, Edwin , which fits the Edwin Davenport who adopted the orphans.

Do you have any information on John Noel buried in Wash Co.? Also you mentioned a Claiborne - how is he tied to John?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic