Search for content in message boards

John Lindsey & Philadelphia (___) Crawford - Vermont Early 1800

John Lindsey & Philadelphia (___) Crawford - Vermont Early 1800

Posted: 17 Sep 2002 1:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2004 11:19PM GMT
Surnames: Crawford
Looking for information about John Lindsey Crawford, wife; Philadelphia (surname unknown) and children. Particularly interested in:
1) P.O.B. and Parents of John Lindsey Crawford. Born 1765, Died July 25, 1842 Swanton, VT.
2) P.O.B and Parents of Wife: Philadelphia born 1762 and died Apr. 17, 1837 Swanton, VT.
3) P.O.B. of children: Josiah (1791), Isaac Lindsey (1805), Simeon (1794), Anna (1796), Sarah (1800) and Polly (1798).

This family arrived in Swanton, Vermont between 1790 and 1816. The Parents and many of the children remained in Swanton thoughout their lives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: John Lindsey & Philadelphia (___) Crawford - Vermont Early 1800

Posted: 30 Oct 2002 8:55PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jul 2005 5:35PM GMT
Surnames: Crawford, Rosebrook
I am in the midst of working of this family line too! Just found a bunch of info in the past few days and attempting to organize it into family groups. I am thinking that John Lindsey Crawford is the son of John Crawford (m. 1758) and Mary Rosebrook, but so far have no definite proof. Are you sure of the birthdate? My husband is a descendant of Simeon, I believe through his daughter Hannah. I find Hannah living with Annie (in a census) who I know is Simeon's daughter, but I have no proof so far that Hannah is Simeon's daughter. Where did you find the info on John's children? I would like to share info. If we can make a definite link between John L and John who married May Rosebrook, I can trace the line further back from there.

Posted: 30 Oct 2002 9:07PM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2006 6:03PM GMT
Surnames: Crawford, Crofford, Rosebrook
Just found one little bit of info: John Crawford son of John Crofford and Mary Rosebrook. Born 27 August 1776, Windham, Brookline VT and died 28 May 1737 Guildhall, Essex, VT. This is taken from Family Gene Records Collection at Ancestry.com, which are secondary records and must be confirmed. I have often found slight discrepancies as in the town. Also children of this John and Mary are: Sarah 1775, Calvin 1782, Eleasar 1779, Fanny 1784, Rosebrooks 1778, Zerah 1780, Elizabeth 1760. Let me know if this helps!

Posted: 3 Nov 2002 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: Crawford, Dunbar
Hello Vernon,
Are you searching for Fanny Crawford's parents (Almon C. Dunbars wife)? I have been trying to find them for years. I had at one time Josiah Crawford and Sally Carter. I am not sure, but I think I got that information years ago from the card index in Montpelier, Vermont. I have Sally Carter b. Hardwick, Caledonia, Vermont daughter of Philip Carter. I have several of Philip's children, but no wife.
I'll have to go back to Vermont and search the microfilms.
Thanks,
Val

Posted: 4 Nov 2002 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Crawford, Carter, Caster, Castor, Dunbar
Hi Val:
Good to hear from you. Fannie Crawford (Aug 28, 1816 Swanton, VT - June 17, 1886, Swanton, VT) is indeed the husband of Almon C. Dunbar. Her father is Josiah Crawford (1791-March 29, 1864). Her mother was Polly (1804-Jan 25, 1858) Her birthyear comes from her gravestone in Janes Cemetery, St. Albans, Vt which says she died at 54 years of age. Although I have seen her last name as being Carter, I actually believe it was Castor (Caster) although I have yet to prove either one. Her husband is also buried in Janes Cemetery as is his parents, John Lindsey & Philadelphia (________) Crawford.

John Lindsey Crawford (1765-June 25, 1842) with wife Philadelphia (_________) (1762-April 17, 1837) and family came and settled on Swanton Hill, Swanton, VT in 1798. Andrew Crawford (brother, father, uncle?) came about same time and is listed along with John Lindsey Crawford as a Head of Household in 1800 and 1810 Census of Swanton, Vermont.

I have some indication that John Lindsey Crawford & family came from "the headwaters of Lake Champlain" which would be southwestern Vermont or the area north and east of Albany, NY. But, I'm not sure. That is why I am despirately seeking info on John L and Philadelphia Crawford and the birth place of their children: Josiah (1791), Simeon (1794), Anna (1796) and possbily Polly (1798). They were all born prior to the family coming to Swanton, VT

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vernon

Posted: 4 Nov 2002 2:57AM GMT
Your information on John Crawford is correct. This John Crawford, son of John Crofford and Mary Rosebrook, is not the same John Crawford that I am searching for. Your John Crawford indeed went to Guildhall, VT and established a extensive farm which exists to this day on the main road to Granby, VT from Guildhall.

Valerie Lord (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2002 11:08PM GMT
Vernon,
I gathered these notes on Crawford's in Swanton, Vermont
Here are some Crawfords buried in Swanton

ANN d. 29 MAR 1858 a. 39 d/o JOSIAH & POLLY
JOSIAH d. 29 MAR 1864 a. 73
MARY d. JUL 1825, 1 yr 4 mos, d/o JOSIAH & POLLY
OLIVE d. 1828 15 yr, d/o JOSIAH & POLLY
POLLY d.25 JAN 1854 a.65, w/o JOSIAH CRAWFORD

1800 Swanton heads of househould
Andrew & John Crawford

1810 Swanton heads of househould
Andrew & John Crawford

1820 Swanton heads of househould
John Crawford
Josiah Crawford
Simeon Crawford

1830 Swanton heads of househould
Josiah Crawford
Simeon Crawford

1840 Swanton heads of househould
Josiah Crawford
Simeon Crawford

1850 Swanton heads of househould
George, Lucinda & Patrick Crawford

1850 Census Swanton, Franklin, Vermont
Josiah Crawford 58 Farmer b. VT
Polly " 62 b. NY
Anna " 32 children all born VT
John " 27
Charles W. 23
Mary 16 Charle's wife and children?
Willard 8
Ellen 6
Minerva 4

Hope this helps a bit.
Val

Posted: 5 Nov 2002 12:24AM GMT
Val:

I have most of that info but you have thrown me a couple of curves: I don't have any info about the 1850 Swanton heads of household's: George, Lucinda & Patrick Crawford Do you have any further infor about them? They don't seem to fit in with the other Crawfords. Maybe they are related to Andrew Crawford (1800 & 1810 Census) which I know nothing about other than to think his is related to John Lindsey Crawford because they arrived in town at about the same time and John Lindsey Crawford's son, Simeon, named one of his sons, Andrew Jackson Crawford.

Now you listed all of the following together. Does that mean that they were all in the Household of Josiah Crawford and if so, did it indicate that Charles W. was Josiah's son? Polly is definately his wife, Anna (Ann) and John are his children but this is the first that I have heard of Charles W. and family (?).

1850 Census Swanton, Franklin, Vermont
Josiah Crawford 58 Farmer b. VT
Polly " 62 b. NY
Anna " 32 children all born VT
John " 27
Charles W. 23
Mary 16 Charle's wife and children?
Willard 8
Ellen 6
Minerva 4

Another mystery that I have recently run into is Josiah Crawford, father of Josiah R. Crawford (Jan 4, 1819 or 1820 Swanton, VT - Sept 18, 1900 Newport, VT ?). Josiah R. Crawford on 10 Nov. 1845 in Franklin, VT married Maria (Mariah, Myra) Lee (b. Quebec) They moved to Newport, VT and many of their children raised their families in the Newport area. I have the info about Josiah & Maria Crawford and descendents but not about his father. Unless the father, Josiah, is the same as Josiah Crawford, son of John Lindsey Crawford in which case Josiah R. Crawford would be a child that up until now has been unknown. Do you have any info about Josiah R. Crawford's father, Josiah?

Vernon

Valerie Lord (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2002 10:16PM GMT
Vernon
Yes, Josiah and the others lister are in the same household in the 1850 census.
I checked the 1880 census on familysearch.org for a Charles Hill born 1827 and came up with this interesting household:
Charles HILL Self M Male W 53 VT Farmer
Lisa HILL Wife M Female W 48 VT Keeping House
Hettie HILL Dau S Female W 13 VT At School
Edson IRISH Other Male W 28 VT Farm Laborer
Census Place Lincoln, Addison, Vermont
Hill and Irish again in the same household!!!
Val

chip (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2002 10:18PM GMT
John Lamman Crawford married Philadelphia. He had a brother named Andrew and a father named Andrew. Andrews father was a james Crawford who emigrated to this country in 1726 from Ireland and is believed to be the great grandson of Alexander of Killybegs. I believe the route is throught John Crawford and Abigail Hamilton. Alexander came to Scotland in about 1600. This chronicled through the book Crawfords of Donegal. Back to James who I am descended from. He had a brother John who emigrated in 1730. James had the following children Robert, James, (putney vt.), John( Guildhall VT. Abel Crawford) Hugh, Margaret Jane William Andrew born 1746. This is chronicled in a book from Union Ct. I have more must find my notes. Chip Crawford
per page

Find a board about a specific topic