Search for content in message boards

family of Sherwood HARRIS

family of Sherwood HARRIS

Posted: 5 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 4:29AM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS, HICKS, HUDSETH
There are any number of men by the name of Sherwood HARRIS in & around the Granville Co., N. Car. area. My Sherwood HARRIS came from Hanover & Goochland counties in Virginia to Granville Co., North Carolina. My Sherwood HARRIS made his will on 15Jun1763 & it was proved in the August court of Granville Co. in 1763. It is on file as Will #101 in the clerk's office of Granville Co. He identifies Absalom HIX/HICKS as his "loving son-in-law" the husband of his daughter Mary [Harris] HIX. This is my direct line. Has anyone untangled the Sherwood HARRIS puzzle? According to the records of the DAR, it is difficult to recognize who is who. I would like to know if anyone can show the ancestry of my Sherwood HARRIS? He identifies his wife in his will as Jane. Some family researchers suggest that her name was Jane HUDSPETH. Was that her maiden name or did she marry after Sherwood's death to someone named HUDSPETH? I have suspected that the latter was the case?!? The happy couple of Absalom HIX/HICKS and Mary HARRIS were living in Goochland Co., Va. when at least two or more of their children were born. Two of their daughters Jeani HIX/HICKS & Diana HIX/HICKS were listed in "The Douglas Register" of Goochland Co., Va. Has anyone researched this family and have you found any source implying or indicating when they were married? I would be glad to visit with anyone who has information on the above families or other associated lines. I have alot of information to share if others are working on these lines. thanks, dave

Harris Thomas

Posted: 11 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: Harris
I have Thomas Harris Will Proved May 1780 Granville Co.
Thomas Harris Reportly Narried Sarah Harris Dauhter Of
Sherwood Harris And Jane Hudspeth ,
Children Robert , Hood ,Samuel Harris , Mary , penny , Jemia
I Decend from Samuel Harris That married Mary Coat in
1800 Davidson Co Tenn There Son John Harris And Savillia
Harris married 1827 in Hardeman Tenn Family moved to
Texas In 1837 Eliza Harris . Who Married John Webb in
Hopkins Co . Had Two Daughter Mary Webb, Married A Teer,
Priscilla Webb Married A Hick , In Hopkins Co Texas . These
Family Moved To Atoka . Okla or Indian Nation . I am still
a good Fried of Floyd Hicks Wife , Have lots More to Share,.

Thomas Hicks

Posted: 12 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 11:53PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks

I have a copy of Bible Records that I got at the archives in Raleigh, NC. Thomas Hicks was born December 25, 1753. Constant Parham was born March 29, 1747.
Thomas and Constant were married March 2, 1791.
Thomas Iverson Hicks, son of Thomas & Constant was born Dec.7, 1795.
Constant Parham Hicks consort of Thomas Hicks departed this life 27th of March, 1816.
Thomas Hicks died March 9, 1837 aged 84 years.
Thomas Iverson Hicks died 24th of Feb., 1864 aged 70 years.
Thomas I. Hicks was married to his wife Sophia, May 11. 1819.
Sophia Weston Hicks relict of Thomas Iverson Hicks died on the 27th of Nov., 1866 age 71 years and 24 days.
This information was recorded at the NC Archives in 1903.
At that time the present owner of this bible was Mrs. V. Lawrence, Brooklyn, NY.
The original owner was Thomas Edward Hicks, Brooklyn, NY.
I hope this is helpful.
Fondly,
Idalia

Harris / Hicks

Ken Hicks (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Harris
Absalom's father was Samuel Hicks, who was also the father of my descendant (Stephen). There was also a Harris Hicks listed in the 1790 Granville Census. I would appreciate all information that might be available on the Hicks and Harris families around that time; they must have been close friends.

Ken

Harris / Hicks Family

Ken Hicks (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Hicks
Thank you very much for the information. As near as I can figure, Thomas was also a son of Samuel. I'll add this to my files and keep looking. I never really intended to get this involved, but I'm retired now, and well, you know how it goes, "idle hands" etc.

Let us try to stick to the Harris connection on this link, as I have a previous query to focus on Hicks.

Ken

Elizabeth Hicks

Bettye Mahan (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Tudor
Hello Idalia---Have you run across ELIZABETH HICKS with possibly a sister Caroline in any of those Bible and other records you have seen? My Elizabeth was born 8 Dec. 1763, probably in Granville Co., NC and married Valentine Tudor in Oxford, Granville Co., NC 20 Oct. 1784. A Caroline ("Aunt Carrie"), thought to be her sister, lived with them later in Madison Co., KY. I have been searching for years to find her parents, siblings, origins. Her Hicks family POSSIBLY could have come from VA. Valentine was born in Brunswick Co., VA. Contact me at: pepperjaq@netscape.net
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!! Bettye

Re: family of Sherwood HARRIS

Angie Hicks (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2005 9:48PM GMT
The Absolom Hicks family is my family. I show that he and Mary Harris married on 4/20/1760 in Hanover Co., VA. The had 6 (?) children - Jeanie (Jane), Diana, Absolom Jr., Harris (my grfather), Bishop and Nathaniel. Absolom's father was Samuel Hicks, Jr and his mother was Frances Wyatt. Mary's father was Capt. Sherwood Harris Sr and her mother was Jane Hudspeth (like you I don't know if it is maiden).

Hope this is helpful. I'm stuck on Samuel Jr's parentage. If you have any other info to share I would greatly appreciate it. I'll pass on anything else I might have of interest to you!!

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 4:00AM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2011 4:08AM GMT
Surnames: Harris
Yes a number of Sherwoods; in the Will of Thomas Harris son of Robert and Lemider Smith Harris he ref's his brother Sherwood and his wife's ((Sarah Harris Harris)) brother is Sherwood ((this Sherwood is son of Sherwood the Brother of Robert who are both children of Robert Harris and Elizabeth Turner Harris)) so the Thomas Harris and Sarah Harris Harris that wed were first cuzns, not uncommon in that day. My line is Mary Harris daughter of Robert Harris and Leminder Smith Harris, Mary Harris married William Ogilvie they later left granville, nc and ended up being buried in College Grove, TN my line via thier son KT Ogilive via dau Penelope who married Thomas Barnet abt 1815 in TN and came to Montgomery/Madison co Ill by 1817.
email denise at yahoo; newattitudes2 at yahoo.

Now the Mary Harris that married Absolume Hix is sister of Sarah Harris who m Thomas Harris.

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 11:09PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2013 11:20PM GMT
Greetings,

I am, as far as I know, a descendant of "Col" Robert Harris Sr. through the Samuel Benton's and am attempting to untangle the Harris' lines of NC and VA of that time. A cousin of mine connected the above mentioned Robert to a Richard then to William Jr and Sr then to Capt Thomas Harris all of Henrico co VA but I have my doubts or concerns. She had the elder Sherwood as Robert's brother with Robert's son Thomas marrying Sherwood's daughter Sarah (yes first cousins).

Also, she has the elder Sherwood (will of 1763 in Granville) marrying Jane Hudspeth with daughter Mary marrying Absalom Hix/Hicks.

Of course, Robert Sr's will mentions a niece, Mary daughter of David so that should confirm at least one sibling as David if not also the elder Sherwood.

This was some of the first info I put on my ancestry.com tree and have rarely revisited it as I focused on other lines. Recently though, I have been making corrections and adding information (children) I originally omitted based on Robert's and Thomas' wills and other sources here and see other researcher's have "Col" Robert as being a son of Robert Overton Harris of Hanover VA instead of a Richard of Henrico county VA.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

When you say Samuel Jr, to whom are you referring? If Samuel Benton Harris Jr I have that sorted out, hopefully.

Sincerely,

Posted: 13 Jun 2014 5:59PM GMT
Sherwood Harris is Samule Hix (b. 1695- d. 1772 married to Diana Willis) brother in law- so Diana is his sister- I have more info. Esp looking for Samuel Hix father or relatives.

R-
per page

Find a board about a specific topic