Search for content in message boards

Batts of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Batts of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Posted: 27 May 2008 1:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Batts, Fidler, Margerum, Adams, Pierce
Looking for more information or relatives of

William Henry Batts born abt 1843 and Eunice Estell (Estell may be spelled differently) born abt 1845. William was born in Philadelphia and Estell was from New Jersey.

Their children:
Charles H Batts born about 1866 in New Jersey
Elizabeth (may be Lilly) born about 1867 in New Jersey
Lillian (Lilly) born May 1867 in New Jersey married John S. Fidler and she died April 1890.
Mary born 1869 in Philadelphia and married Edwin Margerum. She died January 1891.
Ella born April 1871 Philadelphia and married Jacob Adams. She died November 1911.
William H. born abt 1873 in Philadelphia and died March 1879
Eunice born May 1880 married Alfred Pierce and died September 1912.

I descend through Lilly.

Lisa Fidler Burger

Re: Batts of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Posted: 27 May 2008 10:33PM GMT
My interest in the Batt family has long been in the New England and New York areas, particularly Mass. and Vt. in New England, and Cattaraugus and Orleans Counties in New York. Getting down to Philadelphia I find only one entry:
Catherine Batt, widow of Thomas Batt lived in Philadelphia. Thomas Batt was an officer in the Royal American Fensibles who died in Nova Scotia in 1781. See "The American Loyalists" by Lorenzo Sabine and Biographicl Sketches of Loyalists of the Americabn Revolution" by Geo Palmer. As far as I know the entire family were Loyalists

Posted: 27 May 2008 10:53PM GMT
The oldest Batts I have in my tree is William Henry Batts. He was born about 1843 and he gave his parents birth places as Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Maybe as I get further back I will find they came from the northern states. My Batts are buried in Greenmount Cemetery in Philadelphia.

Posted: 27 May 2008 10:53PM GMT
The oldest Batts I have in my tree is William Henry Batts. He was born about 1843 and he gave his parents birth places as Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Maybe as I get further back I will find they came from the northern states. My Batts are buried in Greenmount Cemetery in Philadelphia.

Posted: 22 Jul 2008 4:50PM GMT
Hi MtBaldy101,

Mt name is Marty Smith and I am a descendent of that major Thomas Batt. he was a Loyalist and he came from Ireland. Our family originally came from England. Our ancestor came as a soldier in Cromwell's army to "teach the Irish a lesson" after the English Revolution. Cromwell was broke and paid his soldiers with land he "took" from the Irish. Most of the soldiers sold the land to wealth protestant land barrons, but my ancestor stayed and married into the Irish. He settled in New Ross. One of his ancestors migrated to Belfast and amassed a fortune. Today, most of our family are of modest means and live near Dublin. The Batt family in the US came, first with Maajor Thomas Batt in the 1770's and again at the turn of the 20th Century with my grandfather and his 1st cousin. We are in Denver and in New York. You might check out the Loyalist Institute site and look up the Catherine Batt Of Pennsylvania Memorial. There are specific details of his doings during the Revolutionary War and in Nova Scotia where he was killed. There is also another site which gives us a report he made to Gen Gage about a battle he fought.

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 10:12PM GMT
I know of Major Thomas Batt and his wife Catherine. Thomas went to Nova Scotia where he died in 1781. (Biographic Skecthes of Loyalists of the American Revolution: George Palmer) but his wife stayed behind in Philadelphia.

Do you have any children for this couple? I am looking for parents of William Batt, a Loyalist who was captured at the Battle of Saratoga and imprisoned on the ship JERSEY in New York harbor (American Prisoners of the Revolution: Danske Dangridge) After the war William went to Vermont and married in to a very revolutionary family, the Goulds.
They were still in Vermont in 1806.

Any info on parents of William would be most appreciated.
Ev Whitbeck

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 2:02AM GMT
The Major Thomas Batt we are referring to I believe was married to a Catherine McCall. I got this information from another site and right now I am not infront of my notes. From what I remember, her mother's name was Lydia Abbot and her father's name I think was John McCall, but I am not sure of his name. The person making the entry was a Linda Ashton and Ashton is the name that survives from her Thomas Batt. The dates of the marriage match in both records. If you read the Catherine Batt of Pennsylvania Memorial on the Loyalist Institute site, two children were mentioned, but no names. Unfortunately, Linda's line mentions only one child from the marriage, a Moses Batt. Also if you Google Major Thomas Batt one of the links mentions the Thomas marrying Catherine McCall. Catherine Batt was from Philadelphia and she died in 1793-4. I have yet to go into the City to search out the death record, if one exists. On the death record, her father and mother should be listed. I got the information about her dying in 1793-4 from my cousin in Dublin. Sorry I do not have more information for you. If I find the site on Google I willget back to you.

Posted: 2 Oct 2009 5:06AM GMT
I am writing the history of the Batt family of Ireland from the time we arrived from Cornwall, England in 1649.
In the 1950s I heard a story that a Batt had signed a document adding the comment. 'If they want me they know where to get me! Sounds like a Loyalist Statment?
there must be more information on the McCall family?
Why was Loyalist widow Catherine Batt allowed to return from Ireland to Philadelphia? Sounds as if her family had enough influence to withstand the occasion.Should appreciate insights into the life and times. Rgds Leopold Batt, Dublin Ireland.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions