Search for content in message boards

King Family of Lycoming

King Family of Lycoming

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 2:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: King, Devine
Looking for any information on the King family who lived in Lycoming county in the early 1800's. My great grandfather, John King (do not know a middle name or initial) was born in the area abt 1832. I believe he had brothers Samuel and Henry. I am try to find anything previous to this, ie where the family originally came from and when.... John King was married to Mary Devine, presumably from Ireland/Scotland. Also looking for information on her family as well.

Re: King Family of Lycoming

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 4:05PM GMT
Surnames: King, Wettlaufer
Not validated any of this but you might find it helpful:
"In the John Lewis King Genealogy, the unknown author writes that John Shedy came to America from Ireland. He attempted to enlist in the Civil War at age 14, and was not accepted. He changed his name to John King (which was his grandmother's maiden name), lied about his age, and successfully enlisted in the Civil War. Thereafter, the King name was used."
I have John Lewis King born Jul 1832 died 22 May 1912. He married Mary Devine about 1867, and they had ten children. Their son George Bernard married Annett Elizabeth Wettlaufer who was my grandaunt. Don't have any data prior to John and Mary. I do show that Mary Devine was born Feb 1844 in Ireland. Good luck, Bob

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 7:54PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I have also been told the same story by relatives of mine. I have never been able to verify any of this info regarding the name change. In my history it was spelled Sheady and the name King was his mother's maiden name. The one new piece of the puzzle was his middle name of Lewis which I did not have, so I thank you very much!

Heidi

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 10:55PM GMT
Can you tell me where you got the info on John Lewis King?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions