Search for content in message boards

Kelly's of NY and NJ

Kelly's of NY and NJ

Posted: 8 Aug 2002 1:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Oct 2002 9:10PM GMT
Surnames: Kelly, Horn
I am searching for a kelly family that lived in New York who had a son named Frank J. Kelly, I have no birth or death dates at this time but he died before 1920. I do know he married Margaret Horn born abt 1882 in Ireland and they had a son named Thomas Edward Kelly born November 05, 1902 in New York City. In the 1920 census for New Jersey, his wife Margaret was listed as a widow and living with her father and brothers John Horn Sr., John Horn Jr., and William Horn. In Jersey City. Thomas E. Kelly last lived in Tuckerton, Ocean Co., NJ where he did Aug. 04, 1970 living with a Marie Kelly. They are both buried in Greenwood Cem. in Tuckerton. I know this is not much to go on but any help on tracing them would be appreciated. Thank You.

Re: Kelly's of NY and NJ

Posted: 2 Jul 2003 2:31PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2003 5:04PM GMT
Hi Matthew.
Where in NY?

Matthew Driggers (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2003 7:21PM GMT
Surnames: Kelly
I do not know the exact place in New York yet, Thomas Edward Kelly was born November 05, 1902 in New York City as per his death certificate and his Social Security application card. He died on August 04, 1970 in Ocean Co., NJ and is buried in Greenwood Cem., Tuckerton, NJ. next to him is a woman named Marie Kelly, no dates as of yet, and I do not know if it is his second wife or a cousin. His father Frank J. Kelly was born in New York also as per census records. His mother Margaret Horn was born in Ireland and came to the US abt 1895 with her two brothers. Frank J. Kelly was dead by 1920, do not know his birth date or death date as of yet. He could have died in WWI or before, as there is no 1910 census for NY or NJ, it is difficult to tell right now.

Posted: 11 Mar 2004 3:14AM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2004 4:03AM GMT
I'm an adoptee, birthname Elizabeth Kelly, born 1943 Brooklyn, am searching for info on mother who died 1944 of TB. My father was employed at shipyard at time of my birth.

Posted: 11 Mar 2004 1:32PM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2006 3:47PM GMT
Hi Martin.
This message was sent to me. Not sure why except that Kelly is a surname in our family. Do you know where your Kelly's originated from? If possible, email me directly. Ancestry was having a problem pulling up messages. I had to go to the archives to try and find this one. Kelly is not an easy name to research. My grandmother had tried for almost 30 years before she died - I took over and am still finding the difficulties.

GiGi

Mary Higgins (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2004 3:14AM GMT
I have a Frank Kelly in my family line. Born in New York and died in New Jersey.

Frank Kelly b. 1892 Buffalo, NY
d. Feb 1964 New Jersey. Frank Drove a ambulance in New Jersey. Frank also had a brother Tom Kelly born Buffalo, 1876 and also died in New Jersey. Family folk lore tells us that Tom Kelly made it big in New Jersey.
If this Information works. Let me know. I have alot more on the Kelly family.

Also you might want to check the spelling of the Kelly name. I found alot of my Kelly's spelled wrong. Some of the family listings where under Kelley.(Which is the Irish spelling of the North of Ireland.)

Good Luck
Mary

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 3:02AM GMT
GiGi,
I'm a female adoptee, born 1943 in Brooklyn, named at birth Elizabeth Kelly. I'm in search of a half-brother born around 1933.
Liz at mjphughes@aol.com

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 11:28PM GMT
Hi folks, Thomas Edward Kelly was my mother's uncle. Marie (Rajcan, pronounced "riken") was definitely his wife and it is news to me if she is a second wife. According to Ellis Island records, aunt Marie came over in 1908 from Czechoslovakia/Hungary. I got interested in this branch of my family due to someone contacting me who has a Frank Kelly in his tree, thinking that Thomas Edward may be his brother.

My uncle tells me that it is true that he made it big in NJ in the insurance business. He also tells me that he visited uncle Tom and aunt Marie sometime around 1950 and that they had two people living with them, but that he was pretty young so doesn't remember who they were or even if he found out at all. This was on River dr or Rd in Trenton. Anything else me or my uncle can help with, let me know.

Posted: 3 Jul 2012 12:04AM GMT
Surnames: kelly

I am researching a Kelly family as the possible birth family of my g-grandfather, John J. Kelly born 1880 in NY City. My g-grandfather may have had a brother, Frank Kelly, born 1870 in New York to Irish parents John and Ann Kelly. The other children were Thomas, William, Michael J., Ann, and Katherine. I have the family living on 120th St. in Manhattan in the 1900 US and 1905 NY Census records. John Kelly and his sons Thomas, Frank and John were all in the insurance business around 1900. I don't know what became of him after 1900.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic