Search for content in message boards

Civil War death-Iowa 36th Infantry Co C- Battle of Marks' Mills, AR

Civil War death-Iowa 36th Infantry Co C- Battle of Marks' Mills, AR

Posted: 13 Sep 2009 4:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCoy
Have a relative that died at the Battle of Marks' Mills Arkansas, Apr 1864. It is my understanding that the dead were buried at the site following the battle. After the war ended, I've been told that the soldiers were re-interred.

How does one go about locating a family member/Union Soldier in such a situation?

Little Rock is the largest city near the battle site and there is a National Cemetery there. Last time I was on this search focus, I was unable to locate a search option- Been a while, should, perhaps, return to try again.

Any insights?

Re: Civil War death-Iowa 36th Infantry Co C- Battle of Marks' Mills, AR

Posted: 2 Nov 2009 11:02PM GMT

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 6:46PM GMT
what is the soldiers name?

Posted: 19 Jan 2010 5:47AM GMT
Surnames: McCoy, Crist
My soldier's name is Mathias McCoy, dob 10 Jul 1843 in Perry Co Indiana to Harvey and Louisa Crist McCoy. He served as Private, Co C 36th Regiment Iowa Infantry, enlisting 20 Aug 1862 at Moravia, Iowa. Died at the Battle of Marks' Mills, 25 April 1864.

I've seen his name in records as Matthias (2-t's).

Company descriptive book
Matthias McCoy Co C 36th Rg't Iowa Infantry
appears on Company descriptive book of the organization named above.
Description.
Age 19, ht 5 ft 9 1/2 inches, complexion, dark; eyes, gray; hair, black.
Where born Perry Co, Ind.
Occupation Farmer.
Enlistment: Aug 20 1862, Moravia, Iowa by K.P. Morrison term 3 years
RemarKansas:
was in the Battle of Ft Pemberton, Miss, March 11 1863;
Helena Ark July 4 1863
Little Rock, Ark Sept 10 1863
Elkins Ford, Ark, April 4 1864
Prairie D'Ann, Ark, April 12 1864
Camden, Ark, Apr 15, 1864
Killed at the Battle of MarKansas' Mills, Ark. Apr 25 1864"

I'd appreciate any pointers you could provide to locate his burial location. I've walked the cemeteries in the Moravia Iowa area where his parents and siblings are buried and there is no trace of a marker there if he was taken back to Iowa. Was that done after the war? I don't know that the family would have had the $-means to bring him back.

One thing I've not done is to broaden my reinternment search by searching for other members of his Co. that perished at the battle as well. It would be likely that they'd be reinterred in same location after the war. ?

My gg Grandfather Jehu was imprisoned after Battle of Marks' Mills, mustered out in 65 and returned to Iowa for a number of years before moving to Kansas. Ottawa county, then finally, Graham County where the family is still rooted.

Thank you for your inquiry,
Carol

Posted: 19 Jan 2010 1:15PM GMT
Hi Carol, did a bit of research on the company. The men from his company that perished on that day were:
J.A. Miller, buried Little Rock National Cemetery
Elias Mitchell, J. W. Needham, and T. B. Porter, and your Matthias McCoy. I would think that most of these men were interred in the same location after the battle.
I'll keep looking.
Jean
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions