Search for content in message boards

Meek, Barber, & Lodge families

Meek, Barber, & Lodge families

Fred Meek (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Meek, Barber, Lodge
I am researching the Meek, Barber, and Lodge families of Elgin County. These families came to Elgin in the 1810 to 1820 time frame and settled in Southwold Township.

Re: Meek, Barber, & Lodge families

Jim Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2001 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Watson, Smith, Mousley, Best
I am not researching any of these families, however, the Barbers, settled in Elgin county about the same time as my Watson's and were neighbors.
Do you have any more detail?

Fred Meek (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2001 10:26PM GMT
Surnames: Barber Watson
Hi Jim,
Your Watson's were neighbors of my Barber line in Northumberland County, PA. Before that I think they were in New Jersey.
Regards, Fred

This text is from the "History of Elgin County" published in 1895.
EARLY SETTLERS:
In the year 1810 John Barber and James Watson came from Pennsylvania, and took up land. They remained here for two or three months, and then returned to the United States. In the following year Mr. Barber came back, bringing with him his wife and family. Burgess Swisher accompanied him, but James Watson did not come back till 1812.

INCIDENTS OF SETTLEMENT.
In November 1814, Mc Arthur’s army came through this part of the country. They lauded at Sandwich. and came down through the village of Delaware, and on to the Grand River, but there they met with a difficulty. The Long Point militia opposed them, and they were unable to cross the river. Then they returned this way, and camped in St. Thomas one night. There they captured several of the citizens, among whom were David Watson, James Watson and Daniel McIntyre, at that time residents of this section. They were not detained long, however, being released the next morning.

Jim Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2001 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Watson, Smith, Mousley, Best
Oh you are good! Yes, the detail you quote is exactly what I have so far. Thanks for the PA lead as I haven't gone that way yet.

Jim

Libby Coon Henson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2003 4:31PM GMT

Hello Fred:

Just found your message while searching the Elgin Co. board.I have been searching for my Meek 1st cousins for the past year with no success. Hoping you might be able to help. John & Stuart Meek, born 1930s, were the sons of Stuart Meek, of St. Thomas I think, & Mary Halladay [ my mother's sister] born in Winnipeg on Dec. 7, 1908. The Meeks lived in Toronto when we were young & I remember that we visited a lovely old stone farmhouse on weekends in the country. Unfortunately, we lost touch with the family after my aunt died. Would like to meet again & share some family photos,memories etc. Have lots of genealogical data to share re Halladays & Youngs etc. By the way, Stuart could be Stewart. Hoping this rings a bell with someone. Thanking you in advance from Elizabeth [Libby] Henson [nee Coon].

Fred Meek (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2003 12:19AM GMT
Hi Libby,
I just found your message by accident. I thought I would be notified when someone replied to my messages.

I attached a photo of James Meek (1777-1834) homestead. It is SW of St. Thomas. Nearby, his son Thomas Meek built a beautiful stone house that I can't find the photo for. It is possible that Stewart (Stuart) Meek was a descendant of Thomas (1805-1880), but I have no data to support that. However, so far, every Meek that I have researched in the St. Thomas area has turned out to be a descendant of my James Meek, so I am sure we are connected some way.

What is the source of your birth date for Mary Halladay?

Best regards,
Fred
Attachments:

LibbyCoonHenson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2003 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: MEEK HALLADAY YOUNG COON HOWARD FAWCETT
Hello Fred :
Thank you so much for your reply & the photo of the Meek homestead.
My birth date source for my Aunt Mary Halladay Meek comes from several Halladay researchers, distant cousins on the World Connect Site. Her middle name was either Lillian or Ella. Her sister, my mother, Gertrude [1904-1991] & her brother, Graham Young Halladay, b. 1912, all born Winnipeg. Parents were Benjamin Blake Halladay, of Elgin, S. Crosby, Leed's Co., Ont. & Grace Daly Young, of Winnipeg.
When reading an old obit of my grandfather B. B. Halladay, who died in Sydney, Australia, in 1927, there is a reference to a surviving child living in St. Thomas. This has to be Mary, who probably was married the same year to Stewart Meek. I am not sure when they moved to Toronto area. Still looking for my 1st cousins, Stewart & John Meek.
Thanks again from Elizabeth [Libby] Henson

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 7:49PM GMT
Surnames: MEEK, McCANCE
Hi,

Not related, but I have a small book from the library "Historical Sketch of the Village of Port Stanley", compiled by Agnes M Hepburn, published by the Port Stanley Women's Institute, celebrating Elgin County Centennial 1952.

"Here is a portion of a letter written by Mrs. A. B. McCance.....Great-Grandfather James Meek, through his friendship with Col. Talbot was allowed to purchase 1200 to 1500 acres of land just west of Port Stanley.

In the year 1819, when he had cleared some land and built a large log house, he sent to Ireland for his wife and family of six children.

After three months in a sailing vessel they landed in Quebec late in the Fall and were obliged to winter in Montreal.

In the Spring they came west along the shores of rivers and lakes and after many portages, arrived at the mouth of Kettle Creek.

Grandfather Meek and his sons were millwrights and erected many of the early mills in the district, especially the construction of water wheels and log wheels which were made entirely of wood."

You probably aready have this....the Meek family in Southwold Township, Elgin County in the 1852 Census; note some of the 1852 Census for the rest of Elgin County no longer exists.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SurnameSearch.jsp?sur...=

Original images here, click on PDF of page, eg p. 38d, 39a, (185)

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/Pages.jsp?sdid=76

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 10:14PM GMT
Hello;

I just came across your very interesting reply re the Meek family & want to thank you for the info. I am sorry that I did not respond 2 years ago.

Merry Christmas,
Libby Henson,
Orangeville, On., Canada
per page

Find a board about a specific topic