Search for content in message boards

Lewis Green

Lewis Green

Vance Harris (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2002 6:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Green
I am trying to find someone who has traced the family of a Lewis Green. Lewis was born in South Carolina around 1801. His wife stated in Her Pension that he was born in Barnwell District South Carolina. He first married Elizabeth Pridgin in 1825 in Bulloch County Georgia. He then married Martha Elizabeth Taylor in Ware County Georgia in 1835. He moved to Hamilton County Florida in 1856. He fought in the Simenole Wars. I think my Third great grand father and Lewis where brothers. My 3rd gf's name was William Green he was born around 1803 in South Carolina and him and Lewis were both living in Bulloch County Georgia in 1820. Any information you could provide would be appreciated

Re: Lewis Green

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 5:00AM GMT
Edited: 24 Apr 2005 12:49AM GMT
Vance,
I'm researching the same fellow. He is my gggrandfather, it apears. I think most people are just tracing him thru Martha Taylor. Good luck.
email is pjf1946@cox.net

Posted: 2 Jul 2003 12:51AM GMT
I'm also related to Lewis Green. I'm related thru Lewis's daughter, Sarah Ann Green, who married Milledge Clayton and her brother, almost reasonably sure, William Green, who married Martha Ratliff. I do have some info on this family.
Jerry Green

Posted: 2 Jul 2003 4:18AM GMT
I would love any information you have on this family especially information on siblings and parents. Please email me at webmaster@theharrislegacy.com

Beth (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2003 1:18AM GMT
Surnames: Waters, Green, Thompson, Brown, Douglas, Willis
Hi. Ernest, Pat & Vance. I am a great-granddaughter of Lewis's son Henry. I want to invite your comments on some data that has had me scratching my head for a while:
1. The Lewis Green in Bulloch Co., GA in 1820 was age 26-45, as was the female with him. One of them was a foreigner not naturalized. If born in 1801, our Lewis would have been 19.
2. In 1830 there was a Lewis Green in Bulloch, age 30-40, and a Lewis Green in Ware Co., GA, also age 30-40. Each couple had 2 children (of different ages.)
3. In 1840 the Lewis in Ware was still 30-40, and the female in the household was 40-50, with no children. At this time Martha Taylor was presumably under 25, and Sarah Ann had been born in 1839.
4. In her pension application, Martha Taylor Green stated that her husband, to the best of her knowledge, had not been previously married.

Now, do I have something wrong, or does someone know which Lewis was ours, if either?

Posted: 6 Jul 2003 6:19AM GMT
I have been told by a another decendent of Lewis Green that she thought that the Lewis Green in the 1820 Census was not your Lewis. Still some Census information is notorious for being incorrect. Some times when the census was being taken, the people may not have been at home and so the census person would ask the person living closest to them the information. Sometimes this information would be guestimations. It is not uncommon to find different results in census records. So, what I am saying is, just because some census information differs, does not mean that the two censuses are not referring to the same man. But then again, it doesn't mean that they are referring to the same man either. This is the problem I have been haveing tracing the Greens of Bulloch County Georgia. They all had such common names. John Green, Lewis Green, William Green, Elisha is the exception. He appears in the 1820 Bulloch Census. He is the son of a Jacob Green but none of the others appear to be any of Jacobs offspring.

Posted: 17 May 2013 10:40PM GMT
Hello, all!
I am also a descendent of Lewis Green...and I often get confused since Lewis senior had a son, Lewis Caswell Green, who I am also descended from.
But through my research and family stories, what I have come to understand is that Lewis had either two nephews (perhaps from one of Jacob Green's other sons?) or he adopted those two nephews whose names were William T. Green and Leander Jack Green (who both served in the Confederate Army). I have very little knowledge of Jacob Green, but I have also been told that he (or maybe his son, Lewis?) may have served in the Seminole Wars.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic