Search for content in message boards

SHEARER,HOOVER,WALTERS

Re: SHEARER,HOOVER,WALTERS

Linda Murtaugh (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

Thank you, Meg
I will enjoy sharing information with you though I suspect we may have some of the same sources. My Shearer connection is through Daniel Shearer and his wife Margaret Vickery. Both my paternal grandparents were Shearers.
LindaShearers.
Linda

Re: SHEARER,HOOVER,WALTERS

Edited: 26 May 2003 11:46AM GMT

Hi, Linda--

Don't have any proof for you. I am hunting the same information. I have the first wife being Sallie Walters, born in Germany, and 11 children attributed to the couple. The seond wife was Hannah Hoover, and with her William had 6 children, the youngest of whom was Sallie Shearer, my ggggrandmother, who married George Vickery in Wayne County in 1823. Will help if I get any proof--this is slow going. If you want any details on what I have, I need to warn you, it is all from family "stories" and secondary sources, but you're welcome to it. Meg
lcome to it. Meg

SHEARER,HOOVER,WALTERS

Looking for documentation for the wives of William Christian Shearer.

William Christian Shearer moved to Wayne Co., Ky from the Ashe/Wilkes Co., North Carolina ca. 1811. He was at the time married to his second wife, said to be Sallie Walters. I have also seen her name as Sallie Waters. Does anyone know which of these names is correct (there were families of both names in Wilkes and in Ky). I don't recall seeing proof for either.

Christian Shearer's first wife was thought to be Hannah Hoover, dau. of Andrew Hoover. Again, I have seen no real proof. I know there were a number of Hoover families in NC and in the southeast Ky area.

Any help will be appreciated. Linda Murtaugh

rtaugh

SHEARER

Posted: 19 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hi Meg and Carol,

Thought I'd put in another two cents...There are several Shearer books, one covers the Wayne County Shearers more than the others. It has been several years since I looked at them but I believe at least two (maybe three or more) of them are still in the library here in Salt Lake. I will look them up this week.

I have the parents of Hannah Hoover recorded as Andrew Hoover and Margaret Pfautz...I think there has been some question about the proofs of that and I havn't worked on that line myself...I believe one finds them in Randolph Co NC.

Christian Shearer was living in the Old 96 District in SC before he moved to NC. One of the books, if I remember correctly, gave the following (and I'm summarizing very briefly)...

The Shearers went from Scotland to Armaugh, Ulster Ireland. Appearantly left Ireland in the 1730/40s. Lived first in PA, moved to Rowan Co NC, to Craven Co SC (Burke Co NC)

According to the older book(s) (and I havn't researched any of this) the line went approximately as follows:
Mathew Shearer wife Sarah ______ (not the mother of Hugh)
Hugh Shearer and wife Lydia ________
Christian Shearer and Sarah Burkett
Christian Shearer and Hannah Hoover/Sally Walters

Contrary to the popular "three brothers" story that is often repeated, it is likely that Mathew Shearer with wife, married son Hugh, and others, came to N Am. One line left PA and went to NY, one to VA, and ours to SC/NC. I'm not clear on this: but there may have been a related Shearer who went first to SC, not PA...the book I remember was a bit confusing about that.

I won't be working this next week so may be able to at least provide some sources.
Linda

SHEARER,HOOVER,WALTERS

Edited: 10 Sep 2004 6:19PM GMT
I have Christian Shearer Jr. and Sallie Walters with 12 children. Which one is missing? Or doesn't belong. Do you have Eliza Jane b Wayne Co Kentucky? What do you know about Sallie Walters? Carol

SHEARER,HOOVER,WALTERS

Hi cousin! This is my Shearer family also. Have been researching for quite a few years. Will share. Hope we have different info. Christian Shearer Jr. is my direct line. His father Christian Andrew Shearer is my end. Have several others researching this name and all are stuck.I have William Walters and Katie Peck for Sallie Walters parents. No parents for Hannah Hoover, but think I have most all of the children.Lets trade info.

SHEARER

Posted: 20 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hi Carol,

I'm sending a note to your email but I thought I would post these references.

The Carolina Shearer-Sherers is one of the books I referred to: Carolina Shearer-Sherers and Others. Researched by Bertie Brown Roark, Iva Larou Sherer, David Grier Sherer; compiled by Iva Larou Sherer. Boone North Carolina: 1978.
other Shearer books: The Shearer Family, An Outline on the Family of Christian Sherer Sr. and His Wife Sarah. John D. Shearer. 1992. (there was no other publication info in this book)
There is also an older book titled Shearer-Akers. I don't remember the author or publication info. It is about the Virginia Shearers. The book is no longer in the library's collection but they probably filmed it.

I just skimmed the other posts and can't remember what I read...think it was Lisa? who mentioned the Wayne County Book that gives some info on the Shearers.
There is also a Huffaker book that includes a lot of Shearer info. And a book on Francis Vickery.

The following books are mostly about other Shearer lines:
Shearer Families of York County, Pennsylvania and Surrounding Areas. Compiled by Michael W. Lau, 1992. Updated 1994. Its a series of family pages, not joined up.
Sutherland-Shearer Genealogy (no publication info or author that I saw when I noted it). Starts with William Shearer b. 1823 Scotland. son David m. Ann Sutherland and migrated to the US.
A Genealogy of the Jacob Shearer Family. Compiled by William Lowell Starkey. 1978. This family was in York Co PA and Stark Co Oh.
The Snyder Shearer Connection compiled by Clemence L. Shearer. 1991? This is also a PA family...includes Brand, Cassel, Eckerman, Fortney, Gensler etc.
Abraham Emmett Shearer Pioneer 1830-1909. Herb Shearer. No publication date. This is a New York family.
In Search of My Shearer Heritage in Madison and Rock Castle Countys in Kentucky. Oliver F. Burch Shearer. Title speaks for itself.
Shearer/McAlpin-McCoppin Families. Robert Brucker Shearer.
There was also a three volume set of what appeared to be just group sheets (several surnames)...not sure which line.

Amazing how many of these books there are?!

SHEARER

Posted: 20 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Linda Thanks for quick response to query. I received a portion from the book Carolina Shearer-Shearers and Others from Waynne James of FL. Interesting book. I don't remember if I have seen the Wayne Co Kentucky Shearer book. I too think the family order is Mathew to Hugh to Christian but I haven't seen the proof. For years several researchers have been stumped. I need to get serious. History of Clinton Co.Indiana is another good book. Do you have copy of Shearer info from Mrs A.E.Morris of Dallas (1959)? My Shearer line goes from my dad C.M. Shearer to grandad Charles Mathias Shearer to G Grandad Mathias Corvin Shearer
to GG grandad Hugh Shearer to GGG grandad Abraham to GGGG grandad Christian Shearer Sr. What do you do at the Univ?
Carol

SHEARER, HOOVER, WALTERS

Posted: 21 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 May 2003 11:46AM GMT
Carol--
Be glad to share what I have , but believe your research goes back farther than mine. I am descended from Sarah ("Sallie") SHEARER, dau of Christian SHEARER and Hannah HOOVER. She married George VICKERY in Monticello, on 11 December 1823. I can fill you in on what I have if you like. Let me know.

Meg

CECIL

Posted: 26 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hi Dorothy,

This will be quick...bad thunderstorm rolling in here in Salt Lake.

I don't have a lot of info on the Cecil family...mostly gathered in relation to the Ingrams.

I do show a SAMUEL Cecil married to Jane Chrisman as his second wife; his first being Katherine Pevyhouse. I could be wrong about these. He is on the 1850 census in Wayne Co - age 82, with wife Jane age 68, and Mary A. age 25 b. Tn. The other Cecils on that census include and Ezekiel age 30 b. Tn with wife Susan age 28, b. Tn and two children, Sarah and Polley A. ages 7 and 5.

Samuel Cecil s/o Samuel Cecil and Rebecca White, was b. 23 Jan 1769 in Va. Jane Chrisman b. ca 1783 was d/o Isaac Chrisman and Sarah Gholson. Samuel and Jane were married 16 Aug 1806 in Wayne. I don't have any info on Katherine Pevyhouse except that she and Samuel were m. 1804 and had one child, James Timothy Cecil who married Pharaba Reed. I suspect she was a d/o John Pevihouse and Catharine Smith.

Samuel and Jane had a son Ezekiel b. ca 1820 in Tn. I also show that they had a son Samuel b. ca 1827 in Tn. There is a Samuel on the 1850 Wayne census with a wife Lucinda.

Ezekiel Cecil and wife Susannah were on the 1850, 1860, and 1870 censuses in Wayne. From the censuses I derived the following children: Sarah b. ca 1843, Polly A. b. ca 1845, Nancy b. ca 1851, Samuel b. ca 1854, George W. b. ca 1857, Charles b. ca 1859, Florence b. ca 1861, Albert b. ca 1864, Amanda b. ca 1867, and Milton b. ca 1870.

I don't know if these are the families you are looking for or not. I havn't worked on the Hoovers...still saying "tomorrow"...but would be interested in learning more about them.

Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic