Search for content in message boards

Michael McAvoy from Canada / Minnesota

Michael McAvoy from Canada / Minnesota

Posted: 6 Aug 2007 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McAvoy
Searching for family information on Michael McAvoy, born about 1830 in Canada or Ireland. Came to Hastings Minnesota in 1856 (with Bruno Paul, maybe an uncle. Was a blacksmith, married Catharine Barry in Hastings in 1858, died in Hastings in 1863. Does he fit into any other family trees?

Re: Michael McAvoy from Canada / Minnesota

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 3:10AM GMT
Surnames: mcavoy McEvoy
There was a Michael McAvoy listed in the Minnesota Territorial census, census date 21 September 1857. Location : Hastings Minn.
age 31, Born Ireland about 1826. Employed as a Blacksmith.

Do you think this is the same Michael McAvoy?

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 11:18PM GMT
Yes it is. Michael was my GG grandfather. In the 1860 census (which I think is the one with the name mis spelled)I think he's listed as 29, he did marry a younger woman in between. Maybe that afffected how he calculated his age.
Because he dided when his children were very young I've never had any information on his parents or siblings other than that they came through Canada,
Thanks.

Posted: 8 Aug 2007 1:44AM GMT
I have a Michael McEvoy on the 1851 census in Moulinette, Ontario, Canada age 26. He was a blacksmith. He was living with his mother, Mary McEvoy (nee Noonan or Nowlin)--a widow. He was living with three of his brothers. Some of the brothers were born in Ireland--others were not. It lists Michael as being born in upper Canada.

This Michael's father was Cornelius McAvoy/McEvoy. He died prior to the census--around 1844. I haven't gone any further back to Ireland. Cornelius is buried at St. Columban's RC church in Cornwall. The father was also a blacksmith.

On the census:
The mother was 50, Roman Catholic and being born in Ireland.
Cornelius, 21, blacksmith, born upper canada
James, 23 or 25 laborer, born upper canada
Michael, 26, blacksmith just ditto on birthplace
John,29, blacksmith, born in Ireland.

Their brother Patrick McAvoy was living on Wolfe Island at the time and he was married and also a blacksmith. Patrick is my ancestor.

Moulinette was near Cornwall, Ontario. It is not on current maps of Ontario. It was flooded when the St. Lawrence Seaway was built out around late 1950s or early 1960s.

There is a Blacksmith shop from the area at the Lost Villages exhibit around that area. I'd like to think it was the McAvoys--but don't know who really owned the shop that they saved.

Pat McAvoy-Costin

Posted: 8 Aug 2007 2:30AM GMT
Hello Pat;

This is very interesting. Michael (my G G Grandfather) died in 1863 when his oldest son was 4, his widow remarried and whatever was known of his family didn't pass on, at least not as far as my generation. Michael's only son had 4 boys who kind of scatterred in diferent directions. There were other McAvoys in the general area in Minnesota after Michael's death but I haven't been able to connect any to him. Do you know where the other brothers ended up?
I don't know we can be certain at this point that it's the same family but it certainly seems to have a good chance. Michael is listed in the 1857 Minnesota census as 31 years old which is within 2 years of matching, and since he list himself in 1860 as being 29, who knows. He came to Hastings MN in 1854 and was the first blacksmith in Hastings. I have notes somewhere from a lady in Canada whose done research that Michael's family came through the Maritimes to Ontario. I'll look it up for more detail although I know it's somewhat vague.
Thanks for the reply and I'd be happy to share additional information on Michael and his descendants if you're interested.

Dale McAvoy

Posted: 8 Aug 2007 9:42PM GMT
Dale:

Only the James McAvoy who was a laborer stayed in the Moulinette area. Then the area was flooded to widen the St. Lawrence Seaway. Don't know where those branches went after that.

What are the names of Michael's children? It seems the McAvoys of that generation used the same names over and over again. My ancestor--Patrick--had 12 children on Wolfe Island and his brother Cornelius joined him as a blacksmith on Wolfe Island. Cornelius died at the age of 29--but Patrick survived into his 60s. Check these names of Patrick's children and see if any of the names are the same as your Michael's children:

Mary
John
Amelia
Michael James (went by James)
Catherine
Teresa Henrietta
Edward George (went by George)
Cornelius Frederick (went by Fred)
Francis Patrick (went by Frank)
Richard Thomas (went by Tom)
Daniel Stafford (went by Dan)
Joseph Murray (went by Joe)

Several of Patrick's children died as young men. What did your Michael die of?

Pat McAvoy-Costin

Posted: 8 Aug 2007 10:03PM GMT
Pat

Michael had 2 children, a boy named John A (don't know for certain what the "A" is for but he named his 2nd son Arthur so that's my guess) and Catharine, named after her mother.
He died of consumption which I believe is essentially phenominia (except not mis-spelled) in Feb of 1863.
In the 1851 Ontario census was there a Bruno Paul in the same area? In 1857, before he was married, Michael lived in the same address as Bruno Paul who was about 60 to Michael's about 30. Bruno appears in a few other things prior to Michael's death so I've spectulated that he could have been related to Michael but have no evidence.
Is Wolf Island near Cornwall?

Dale McAvoy

T

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 4:00AM GMT
We found a John McAvoy born 1803/04 in Ireland living in Ontario in 1871 when he was 67. Could this be Michael's father? One record shows Michael born in Canada.

Maureen

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 4:00PM GMT
It could be.
Some things show him being from Canada and some from Ireland. We know they did come through Canada.1871 is 8 years after Michael died.

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 5:18PM GMT
Wolfe Island is not too far from Cornwall. They are both in Ontario and along the St. Lawrence Seaway.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic