Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah Brooks

Jeremiah Brooks

Newton Brooks (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2001 2:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brooks
Looking for info on Jeremiah Brooks born 1773 in Virgina, married Elizabeth Thomas 1795, died 1871 buried in Person County, North Carolina. Also lived in Caswell County, North Carolina.

Re: Jeremiah Brooks

Posted: 17 Dec 2001 11:21PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2003 7:37AM GMT
Surnames: Brooks/Brookes
Hello Newton,
I think we have communicated before. My husband Jim Brooks is a descendant of Jeremiah. We are frustrated too at not having the names of Jeremiahs parents. Have you got any further with that. Jim says he thinks that it was you and Helen Brooks-Todd that compiled the family history that we do have. I have been going through the early shipping lists of passengers to the Carolinas to see if there where any Brooks or Brookes that we might be able to trace forwards. If you would care to contact us please email: selbybrooks@yahoo.com.

Posted: 9 May 2007 8:09PM GMT
Surnames: BROOKS
I have a Jeremiah Brooks who was listed in the Caswell Co., NC taxables for 1777. This is probably not your Jeremiah Brooks of Person Co., NC, though because you say he was born in 1773; he would not be old enough to be taxed in 1777.

Jeremiah Brooks is not listed on the 1790 Caswell Co census, however, he is listed on the 1800 Caswell Co census. According to the 1800 census report, Jeremiah Brooks, p. 117, there was 1m < 10, 1m 16-25, 1m 26-44, 2f < 10, & 2f 16-25; + 0 slaves; Assuming Jeremiah is the oldest male, he was born between 1756-1774. If he is the same Jeremiah listed on the 1777 tax list, then he was born probably in 1756 (had to be at least 21 to be taxed);

Jeremiah Brooks purchased items from the estate of John Shearman, 10 Nov 1795 in Caswell Co., NC (Caswell Co Will Book C, p. 164, July Court 1796); and from George Farley's estate in 1800 (Caswell Co Book C, p. 423, January court 1800);

This is the last I see of Jeremiah in Caswell Co., NC.

------------------------

Jeremiah Brooks is then enumerated in Person Co., NC census in 1810. He has 3m < 10, 1m 10-15, 1m 26-44; 1f < 10, 1f 10-15, 1f 26-44; Assuming he is the oldest male, he was born between 1766-1784. Since this Jeremiah is younger than the Jeremiah from Caswell Co NC on the 1777 tax list (b. abt 1756), it is probably these two Jeremiahs are NOT the same person. However, I did not find Jeremiah Brooks on an 1800 Person Co. Census report, so it is possible that there were in deed two different Jeremiah Brooks' in Caswell Co prior to 1800. And one of them moved to Person while the other stayed behind.

Posted: 10 May 2007 7:13AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: BROOKS, THOMAS
Hi Ginger,
According to our information Jeremiah was born 1773 in Virginia, parents unknown. He married Elizabeth Thomas March 18th, 1795, in Caswell County. (The marriage bond gave the name "Brookes" - all later records are "Brooks", and the bond was signed by Thomas Thomas, apparently Elizabeth's brother.)
The family is listed with three children in the 1800 census, David b.Abt.1796, Andrew b.abt. 1798 and either Nancy or Green?
In 1805 a deed from Lord Granville shows purchase of their farm near Leasburg, and more land was bought through the years.
Supposedly they are listed through the 1870 census in Person County.
It is assumed that Jeremiah's birth records may have been destroyed by fire sometime during the war that started soon after his birth.
The abbreviations in your message, are they gender and presumed ages? I am a bit puzzled.
The eldest son, David, married Elizabeth Terrell 6th October 1816 in Caswell,they lived in Caswell and Person Counties, then moved to Tennessee about 1852 with their family.
Jeremiah apparently lived to the age of 98, he died in Person County in 1871 and is buried at Ebenezer Baptist Church.

Posted: 10 May 2007 11:38AM GMT
Hi Jackie,

Thanks for your response. I just wanted to let you know that there was another Jeremiah Brooks in Caswell Co., NC which is the parent county of Person. In your search for Jeremiah Brooks' (of Person Co) parentage, I thought it a possibility he was somehow related to the Jeremiah Brooks of Caswell Co.

Yes, the abbreviations I used were representative of the census reports. "3m < 10" --> 3 males under the age of 10; "2 f 10-15" --> 2 females between the ages of 10 and 15; I'm sorry about the confusion.

You said your David Brooks moved to TN about 1852? What part of TN? My Brooks line from Caswell Co NC also moved to Haywood Co., TN between 1850-1852. There were 3 brothers - Robert Holderness Brooks, James M. Brooks, and Iverson Lea Brooks. Iverson Brooks then settled in Drew Co., AR where he died.

Posted: 11 May 2007 7:19AM GMT
Hi Ginger,
David and Elizabeth (nee Terrell) moved with their family to Big Sandy, Benton County, Tennessee, to be near their eldest son Hiram Comer, who had previously travelled there by wagon train from Bushy Fork, near Hurdle Mills, Person County.
I don't recognise the three names you gave of the brothers who moved to Tennessee, but it seems strange they moved about the same time as David and Elizabeth. I wonder if they were cousins. Jeremiah also visited Big Sandy but the date of his visit and subsequent return to Person County is not known. Jeremiah was my husband's great x 4 grandfather. Jim's grandfather, James Haston Brooks, moved to Arkansas, and Jim was born in Little Rock.
Going through my Brooks file I found an email I received from you back in June last year! You were looking for information on a Christopher Brooks who married a Susannah Williams, I wasn't able to help, did you ever find out what you wanted.
These 'Christophers' can be elusive! I get frustrated at not being able to find out who Jeremiah's parents were, I am also frustrated over one of my great x 4 grandfather's, also a Christopher, there were two born around the same time, in the same area, I have a tree for one, but cannot find out if he is the right one!!
Back to Jeremiah, as we are living in the UK we were hoping to find Jim's British roots, but without Jeremiah's parents, that is a forlorn hope.
Jackie

Posted: 11 May 2007 2:29PM GMT
Hi Jackie,

You said your Jeremiah Brooks bought a farm in Leasburg? Is that in Person or Caswell Co., NC? Today, I hear of Leasburg as being in Caswell Co., NC. Was it on the border?

Ginger

Posted: 12 May 2007 6:54AM GMT
Hi Ginger,

I'm afraid I can't answer that one, my American geography for that period is almost nil. Jim thinks it was in Person County, but can't be absolutely certain. There must be some historical map or record of the area at that time, showing boundaries, etc., to be found on the Internet, I will try to find out, try using the search bar.

Jackie

Posted: 12 May 2007 3:39PM GMT
Surnames: BROOKS
Leasburg is in Caswell Co NC only a mile or so from the Person
Co line. Leasburg PO may have served the adjacent part of Person. Jeremiah's land was in Person Co near the Caswell line.
Ebenezer Church where Jeremiah and Elizabeth are buried in
only 2-3 miles from the Caswell Co line. I have been to the
nice little church and cemetery and Jeremiah and Elizabeth have
nice headstones. Charlie Weaver, Winston-Salem, NC

Posted: 15 May 2007 6:44AM GMT
Hi Charlie,
Thanks for that information. I'm going to add that to my notes. Do you by chance have any photographs of Jeremiah and Elizabeth's headstones? Jackie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions