Search for content in message boards

George Washington Henlsey

George Washington Henlsey

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 4:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hensley
Hi, my name is Jenifer Henley-Kleine. I am doing research on my family. My grandpas fathers name was Oral Hensley from West Virginia, his fathers name was George Washington Henlsey and his mother was Ellen Pennington-Hensly-Griffith from Lawrence County Kentucky. I am searching for who Georges parents were. I may have it narrowed down to and Isom and Nancy Hensley, but I cant be sure. Does anyone have any possible info on this?

Re: George Washington Henlsey

Posted: 22 Feb 2012 6:39PM GMT
George Washington Hensley parents are Isom Hensley and Nancy Rose (daughter of James W. Rose who died in the Civil War). Isom Hensley parents are Isaac Hensley and Rebecca Crum (they married Dec. 1817 in Floyd Co., KY). Isaac Hensley died ca. 1848 in Lawrence Co., KY. Isaac obtained a KY Land Grant for a 100 acre farm in Lawrence Co., Ky in 1836 (his log cabin home is still on his originial land, and a photo can be seen on the internet). His son, Isom Hensley also received a KY Land Grant for 120 acres (next to Isaac) in the early 1850s.

Posted: 22 Feb 2012 8:10PM GMT
Surnames: Hensley
Thank you for the info, I will dig further into that.

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 9:23PM GMT
Hi crazykleine, just thought I would contact you again about George W. and Ellen (Pennington) Hensley. Ellen Pennington family goes back to William Pennington that married Abigail Caudill (her father settle in the carter County KY area at an early date, migrating from North Carolina with his family). Check the internet for grave photos for William and Abigail Pennington (then follow the local Fed Census starting in 1850).

Ora L. Hensley is buried in the Kyle Cemetery near Huntington, Cabell Co WV (his grave photo is on the internet). Ora has an older brother (1st sibling born) named Lonnie Hensley ("Lonie" on his birth certificate). Lonie /Lonnie Hensley is my grandfather, he married Nellie Jane Kitchen (daughter of Lafayette Kitchen and Sarah Young (Sarah Young's parents are Daniel Boone Young and Mary Jane Hensley).
Ora's grandparents are Isom Hensley and Nancy Rose (I have her family history also).

Isom Hensley's parents are Isaac Hensley (b. 1795-ca.1848) and Rebecca Crum (stepdaughter of Lewis Perkins of Floyd Co KY).

Isaac Hensley's father is Daniel Hensley (a son of Christopher "Chrisley" Hensley and wife Catherine of Tazewell Co VA.

Isaac Hensley has an older brother (b. 1794) named Elijah Hensley (in War of 1812). This Elijah issued a son also named Elijah (b. 1847) that lost his leg in the Civil War (Union Army) at the Battle of Saltville, Virginia. (This is the Elijah Hensley that is actress Ashley Judd's 3rd great grandfather, that was recently on a TV show called "Who Do You Think You Are").

Christopher Hensley served as a Private with Col George Washington at the "Battle of the Great Meadows" in PA in 1754; and he help to rebuild Fort Loudoun in (now) Winchester, Virginia in 1758 (see GW letters at the Washington DC Archieve; also see payroll list of the soldier of the 1st Virginia Regiment that fought at Fort Necessity in Pennsylvania, that was taken at Fort Cumberland (Maryland) shortly after the fight on July 3-4, 1754.

If you go back another generation behind Christopher Hensley, you will hook into the family of Mary Hensley near Elkins in Rockingham Co. VA...following this family down four generations...you will come to a Virginia Patterson Hensley (daughter of Samuel Lawrence Hensley and Hilda Patterson). You know Virginia Patterson Hensley...her stage name is "Patsy Cline", the country music singer that was killed in a airplane crash in 1963. She sang a famous song called "CRAZY"

Have a lot more info specifics from original sources if needed; hensley058@gmail.com (my email address)

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 10:50PM GMT
Mary Hensley of Elkton, Rockingham County, VA, doesn't descend from this line.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic