Search for content in message boards

Woodford Co. Lookup: Absalom B. Clark 1800

Woodford Co. Lookup: Absalom B. Clark 1800

Posted: 16 Sep 2004 4:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Nov 2004 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Alfrey
For anyone on this board who lives around Versailles, KY, or has records from Woodford county, a lookup request.

Absalom/Absolum/Absolem B. Clark, born 1800 to 1804
in Woodford Co, KY. His family lived all around Rowan, Woodford, Bourbon, Nicholas, and Fleming counties.
He later married Barbary Ellen Alfrey.

Trying to find who his parents were.

Thanks,

Chris J. Becker

Re: Woodford Co. Lookup: Absalom B. Clark 1800

Susan Buffin (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2004 10:28PM GMT
I live in Versailles, Kentucky and will look for marriage bonds to see if that helps any. He is not buried in Versailles or Midway Cemetery. I will try to go by the Historical Society tomorrow. Susan

Kim Embry (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2005 6:34AM GMT
Hi Chris,
My name is Kim Embry and Absalom Clark is my ggg grandfather. I have been searching for his parents for several years now and wondered what your connection to the family is. I would love to share research.
Look forward to hearing from you!
Thanks,
Kim

Posted: 22 Feb 2005 9:38PM GMT
Hi Kim,
I guess that makes us at-least 4th cousins because Absalom Clark is MY 3rd great grandfather, too. As shown:

1. Absalom B. Clark m. Barbara Alfrey
2. William C. Clark m. Ellen Permelia Ward
3. Albert W. Clark m. Nancy Ellen Harrison
4. Clifford W Clark m Irma Martin
5. Norma Ruth Clark m. Fredric Becker
6. Chris J. Becker (me)

Chris

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 12:32AM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2005 9:08AM GMT
Oops. In that last post, I was accidentally logged in under my girlfriend's log-in. I'm NOT Cheryl Bloom. I'm Chris Becker!!!

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 12:38AM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2005 9:08AM GMT
Surnames: Clark
Hi again.

Any luck on that Absalom Clark look-up? I do know that Woodford county had a whole passel of Clarks around 1800. They came from Augusta Co, VA, and were of the same Clark clan of Virginia that brought forth George Rogers Clark and Capt. William Clark. Absalom's middle name may have been Burton. Mother's maiden name, perhaps?

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 3:02AM GMT
Hi Chris,
It is always great to find a new cousin!!

I have been searching for Absalom's parents for several years now. My Grandpa Clark, who died when I was 12, had been working on it for years as well.

I don't know if you knew Dorothy Pack, she was probably the most knowledgeable and thorough researcher on this line, unfortunately she passed away last May.

She sent me many of her documents and we spent a good deal of time researching together. Unfortunately we did not find the answer, although we found some interesting leads.

Here goes my Absalom lineage:

Absalom and Barbary
Henry Harrison Clark m. Amelia Ann Harrison
Samuel Tildon Clark m. Effie Arbuckle
Orville Harrison Clark m. Genevieve Bowen
Stephen Clark m. Debra Clark
Kimberly J. Clark Embry (me)

Dorothy and I were connected through Henry. Her grandma and my great grandpa were children of his. I think that Woodford is probably right as well. I know that there is probably a connection with the Clarks you mentioned. I have found a lead with a family that comes into Woodford where many of the names match up with names from Absalom and Barbary's family. I will dig up the information and send it to you.

I look forward to working on this puzzle with you!
Take care,
Kim

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 10:51AM GMT
Surnames: Clark
I have checked the Versailles Cemetery Book, the Woodford County Rural and Church Cemetery Book, Midway Cemetery Book, Woodford County Kentucky Marriages 1831-1861 and 1861-1902 and do not find anything on an Absolum Clark. There is an Augustus Clark that married Sarah Felix 5 July 1853. Also a B. Clark that attested the consent of a marriage for a James H. Shouse and Ann W. Stout in 1852 but no clue as to who he or she is. Sorry I can not be of more help. Susan

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 5:59PM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2006 4:56AM GMT
Thanks for the effort Susan. It's greatly appreciated. Absalom Clark was born in Woodford County in 1800 to 1804, but he moved away as an adult. He married Barbary Alfrey in Fleming Co, KY in the 1830's and homesteaded in Illinois, Missouri and Kansas. He's buried in Vernon, Madison, MO.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted: 8 Feb 2006 7:43AM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2006 4:56AM GMT
Hi Kim,

I was reviewing these old posts (from a year ago) and I couldn't remember if I ever talked to you after this.
Did you ever find that info on the Woodford Co Clarks you mentioned?
According to some other cousins, and this may have come through Dorothy Pack, somebody had an old family Bible of Absalom's that stated he was born in Woodford County, but no mention of his parents, apparently.
I did get a lookup from Susan Buffin of Versailles, Woodford, KY on a William Clark whom Dorothy had thought was promising, but it was the wrong Clark as this Clark had only daughters, or maybe 1 son, but nothing even close to Absalom. In his will, from Will Book G, dated 1824, I believe, this William Clark did mention several slaves as part of his property.
I seem to remember that there were four Clark men listed in Woodford in the census that was close enough to Absalom's birth in 1800-1804. If we eliminate the William that died in 1824, then that leaves only three. There was at least one other William, and maybe a couple Johns.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic