Search for content in message boards

John Berry Philadelphia 1913

John Berry Philadelphia 1913

Posted: 6 Jun 2004 9:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Berry
A tomestone in England has the inscription "Also John who died in Philadelphia, USA. Dec 24th 1913 aged 60 years". John Berry is part of my tree, is he in yours? Do you know anything about him? Please get in touch. Keith Young, England.

Re: John Berry Philadelphia 1913

Posted: 5 Sep 2004 6:57PM GMT
He may be. My gggfather's name was John Berry and the 1910 US Census has him living in Philadelphia with his wife Mary and daughter Lily. Lily married Leon A. Carpenter and moved to Clinton, NJ in 1911. The 1920 US Census has a widowed Mary Berry living with them in Clinton, which would make sense if her husband died in 1913. I also know that he had a brother Samuel that probably was unmarried or had no children, since he doted on Lily. What I do have is limited but too much to post. Would love to know where the cemetary is, who else is buried there, etc.

Posted: 2 Oct 2004 8:17PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2004 12:57AM GMT
My John Berry had a brother called Samuel, Samuel was 3yrs younger than John, and they were both born in England 1856 and1859. I've no idea were the cemetary is as I live in England, where do you live? I'm an ancester of Johns older sister Nancy and she is my gggrandmother, I realy hope that were talking about the same John Berry as I know all about his life in England, and off course this would be of use to you! And whats more it would mean we're related.I look forward to hearing from you. Keith.

Posted: 5 Oct 2004 2:21AM GMT
I don't think they are the same John and Samuel. Samuel is the older of the two in my family, being born abt 1851. After responding to your inquiry, I found a Samuel in the 1930 US Federal Census, living in Clinton NJ, which is where my father remembers visiting him. Since I was planning on writing to the Philadelphia City Archives to request Lily's birth certificate, I also requested the death record for John Berry with the date you indicated, in the hopes that it was my ggGrandfather. I will let you know what they come up with.

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 8:48PM GMT
I received the Death Certificate and the John Berry who died 12/24/1913 is my gg-grandfather. The address listed for residence at time of death is the address where the 1910 US Census has him living and from which his daughter was married to my g-grandfather in 1911. But it lists his date of birth as 11/6/1852, which doesn't match what you listed in your posting. Perhaps we are related through his wife Mary. Did Nancy Berry have a sister that was born around 1857?

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 3:13AM GMT
One other thing that I forgot to add. On the death certificate, his parents are listed as Job and Mary Berry. I hope this helps you figure out what the connection between our families is. Mary.

Keith Young (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2004 4:13PM GMT
This is a result! I've double checked and everything is correct. It is the same J.Berry in my family as in yours.

Please can we get in touch ie pass on your email address so I can contact you directly and then we can exchange any info that I have regarding this.

Thanks

Keith

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 10:41PM GMT
To start out, you can email me at mtcarpgentemp@optonline.net. This is a temporary account that I have set up. Once I've heard from you I will send you my real email address and disable this one - unfortunately, I've become a bit famatical about avoiding spam.

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 5:21AM GMT
I have a John Berry (born around 1844) from Manchester England
He married an Elizabeth Hallowell and had 7 children-2 of them born in England. They lived in RI for a while and then to Philadelphia Pa.

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 5:36AM GMT
I have a John Berry (born ard 1844) that married an Elizabeth Hallowell (born between 1844 and 1848) Are you related to a Peg(Margaret) Carpenter? My Aunt Isabel Milligan (born 1911) and she were friends and she remembers seeing a book opened on a table while she was in her house one day. The book was called "the Carpenter Family Book.
What caught her eye was the name John. I do not have it in my notes but I remember when I was younger of her speaking of seeing a Hallowell as well. I may have notes stashed away somewhere in the file stating just that,but cannot get to it. Does any of this make any sense to you?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic