Search for content in message boards

SALCOLE

SALCOLE

Salcole (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2001 7:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SALCOLE
I am researching all Salcole links.

I have been researching my family history for almost 20 years and keep hitting a stumbling block with Tasmanian records.

A chance search gave me one of my ancestors (I believe)birth dates as: Mary Anne Salcole b. Tas 1840. I further found refernces to her father Robert Salcole who was born in Scotland in 1811, transported to Van Diemans Land date unknown, Married Agnes Mcdougal on 3 Jun 1844 in Tasmania and Died in Arratt Victoria on 9 Aug 1885.

I now know that Robert and Agnes had 4 children and I believe they were also born in Tasmania:
Mary Anne 1840
Robert 1841
Elizabeth 1843
Edward 1844

however I cannot find any evidence of their existance in Tasmanian records, can you give me some advice?

Thankyou.

Richard Salcole

Re: SALCOLE

Posted: 15 Aug 2007 3:31AM GMT
Richard,
I am a desendent of Elizabeth (Roberts daughter), I have also had a lot of trouble with the tasmaniian records and am beginning to wonder if robert and agnes simply failed to register their childeren.
Elizabeth married my grandmas grandfather Henry McKeon (also a convict) in Sandhurst victoria (no record has been found but it is listed as this on the kids birth certificates) on his way up to Halls gap where he along wiht other pioneers used a bullock team to open up the grampians. His 12 (or 14) children were all born at Hallsgap as were my grandmas siblings.
I found roberts convict records were listed as Robert Stewart and there is an entry on these that state his real name is Salcole and afteer this it is listed as an alias. My Grandma can remember stories of her grandmother and she tells that she is suppoosed to be of spanish origin however I have found no proof of this. Roberts death certificate is available from victorian BDM but it is not in good condition and is heard to read.
I did some family history research 15 years ago but have started again since the recent death of my grandmother.
Elizabeth Salcole used the surname Stewart on some of the kids birth certificates and Salcole on others. If you have more information on robert and Elizabeth I would be interested to hear it.
Sherri.

Posted: 15 Aug 2007 5:41AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2013 4:33AM GMT
Surnames: Salcole,Salcoal,Saltcoal , Stewart,McKeon,McDougall
Sherri,

I have also addressed your other post on the stirling message board (http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.scotland.sti...)

I have so far been able to address the following:

Robert Salcole (alias Salcoal, Saltcoal, Stewart - I believe a lot of the alias confussion stems from the literacy level of people in the 1800's) was born in Stirling, Scotland about 1811. His father was a Soldier named Charles (saltcoal, coil) and his mother was the daughter of Robert Stewart and Elizabeth Thomson (who married in 1776 at Stirling. He was convicted of breaking into a pub and stealing wiskey, this on top of a previous conviction for shop breaking (as yet unconfirmed) he was transported to Van Diemen's Land arriving in Hobart on board the Katherine Stewart Forbes in July 1832.

Robert was appropriated to Issac Sherwin of Sherwood at Bothwell, Tasmania. He was awarded his ticket of leave about 1837 and a conditional pardon in 1842 before being given his free certificate in 1846. (I have a copy of Roberts Convict Records from Tasmania and a copy of the trial transcipt thanks to Lea)

Robert married Agnes McDougall (who arrived in the colony as a convict on board the Atwick in 1839) on 4 May 1844 at the church of Scotland in Bothwell. (I have a copy of their Marriage Bans)

Robert and Agnes had four children.

Mary Ann Salcole b. 1840 Hobart, Tasmania(no record can be found), d. 3 May 1855 at Butcher's Gully, Fryers Creek, Victoria (Vic BDM)

Edward Salcole (no records found)

Elizabeth Salcole b.1844 Launceston, Tasmania (no record at this stage), m. 1860 Castlemaine (from death record) d. 21 Aug 1929 at Halls Gap, Victoria and burried at Stawell Cemetery two days latter. (Elizabeth and Henry McKeon had 14 Children of which 4 died before adulthood)(I have a copy of her Death Record)

Robert Stewart Salcole b. 26 Jul 1846 and baptised 3 Apr 1847 at Lake Bolac, Victoria (I have his baptism record), m. 20 Aug 1874 at Bungendore, New South Wales to Phoebe Fray (have a copy of their marriage certificate) and d. 3 May 1934 at Nyngan, New South Wales. (Like his father Robert and his wife Phoebe are burried in an unmarked grave in the Nyngan Cemetery). Robert and Phoebe had 7 children, 2 died in infancy.

My side of the family don't talk much about family history, my generation are begining to link up and discuss the family, so hopefully I'll have a full picture someday.

My Great Aunt is the last member of her generation alive on my side of the family, she is 97 next week.

Which one of Elizabeth's children do you descend from? and are you still living in the Hall's Gap area?

I Hope this has helped to fill in some of the blanks.

Cheers

Richard Salcole

Posted: 3 Aug 2012 8:08AM GMT
Hi Richard

Anxious to contact family of Agnes McDougall (Atwick) m Salcole. Researching Christian McDougall also Atwick and have information re Agnes and her daughter Mary. No family connection but info of interest.

Look forward to hearing from you

barbara wilson & margaret oconnor
bawilson@westnet.com.au
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions