Search for content in message boards

PineCreek Pioneer update

PineCreek Pioneer update

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 8:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Campbell, Robert
In 2002 when I was looking for this info. I found very little.I know that the state of PA was digitizing old newspapers then but they did not have the Pioneer. Possibly the Brown Library in Williamsport now has some in their collection, also the library at Lycoming Genealogical Society. The only ones I could locate were from Spencer Kraybill's book "PA's Pine Creek Valley and Pioneer Families." Spence has since died and his widow possibly dispensed with his gen. collection. Please keep me posted. My DAR roots start with Robert Campbell of Cammal b. 1762, d. 1837, married to Rachel Morrison.

Re: PineCreek Pioneer update

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 2:49PM GMT
What exactly are you looking for? I am not familiar with the "Pioneer". The James V Brown library has a pretty extensive collection of newspapers digitized and on microfilm. I am heading out to the area in April and will visit the library as well as the LCGS. I can check it out for you if you provide some additional details.

David

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 1:18PM GMT
I have some things for Lycoming County. CD's & Cemetery Books and other documents. What are you looking for???

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Campbell
I'm not sure about the original post author (ElizabethCrompton ) but I am also very interested in the Pine Creek Valley and the Pioneer. I would be interested if the JVB Library has any of the paper and if so which issues.

I am researching the Hunter family - Elijah (abt. 1855-before 1900) and sons Irvin (1875-1953) and Harry (1861-1946) - out of Cammal and the Campbell family (one of the founding families in the Cammal area). Elijah (spelling is questionable) married into the Campbell family with Catherine Anne Campbell (1856-1930).

I have very little information on Elijah Hunter. My hopes is that perhaps the Pine Creek Pioneer may have some information.

If the JVB Library, or perhaps the LCGS, has Pioneer issues, I can plan my own trip.

Many thanks.
Bryan

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 12:47PM GMT
Most of the Hunter's & Campbell's are listed on www.findagrave.com

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
the level of info about Hunters on the findagrave site is greatly limited and I have already mined this source, as well as data from a personal visit to the Cammal cemetery many years ago. Many of the older grave markers I fear have worn down to a point where they are virtually unreadable. Case in point, the grave stone for Mabel Hunter (1904-1905) was so worn in the late 1980's that I had to do a pencil rub in order to get any information. I image that by now that technique may even be unusable. (note to self: Add Mabel Lorena Hunter to findagrave).

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 7:01PM GMT
Information is limited, due to the person that created those memorials for Cammal Cemetery, refuses to edit them. I can get you death dates and death certificate numbers for anyone that died in Pa from 1906-1962. You can contact me direct at https://www.facebook.com/notforgotten478. Let me know what your looking for and I will do my best to find it.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 7:11PM GMT
I found in marriage records:
Elijah Hunter married Anna C DeWitt Tues. Nov. 16, 1880 North Bend, Clinton, Pa by Michael Quigley, Esqr.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 9:40PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, DeWitt, DeWitz
Do you happen to have a copy of the record or perhaps a newspaper clipping? I understand the announcement may have been printed in the Clinton Democrate or the Renovo Record.

My great grand father Harry H. Hunter was born in North Bend, Clinton Co, PA and he states that his father was "Eligh Hunter". Eligh/Elijah would have been born abt. 1855 as he was 26 when Harry was born in 1881 to Catherine A. Campbell Hunter.

Catherine and Elijah likely married in 1880 or early 1881 as I have found Elijah (Elijh) on 1880 Census for Chapman Township (wherein North Bend is located), Clinton Co., PA listed as a single boarder, laborer living in the same home as a "Kate Dewitt", 33, married, servant. She has a son "Irvin" who would have been born around 1875 and I have records that show my great grandfather Harry had a brother, Irvin, born in 1875.

I'm wondering if this is the same Elijah that married Anna in 1880, the marriage didn't last long - months perhaps. Though I have not found a marriage record pinning Elijah and Catherine's date.

In the 1900 census, Catherine is listed as a widow so Elijah was dead by then.

I have been focused on Cammal, looks like I need to move my focus westward a bit on North Bend.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 10:30PM GMT
The marriage I found in a cemetery book. The records would be in Renovo, Clinton, Pa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic