Search for content in message boards

Is there a difference between High German and Low German

Is there a difference between High German and Low German

Posted: 19 Feb 2003 10:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jun 2004 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Katzler.
Is it possible that one family member speaks high German and the other speaks low German? If there is a difference can some one tell me?

If there is a difference between high German and low German does that mean each come from a different area?

Thanks
Debbie

Re: Is there a difference between High German and Low German

Posted: 20 Feb 2003 12:51PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2004 10:19AM GMT
Debbie,

as to the differences between High & Low German, you may go to www.google.com and enter these keywords:
+low+german+language

> If there is a difference between high German and low
> German does that mean each come from a different area?

Depends, for instance on the timeframe. But no, not necessarily - as my common sense tells me ;-)

Since the advent of compulsory education and public schools many people - even if coming from a 'Low German' area - would also speak High German. I have had extended stays in Hamburg once, a North German area on the so-called Waterkant on the North Sea where Plattdeutsch (a Low German variant) is still widely known and also spoken. These people did of course also use some kind of High German - for instance when I talked to them.

Also, consider that people are moving around quite a lot during their lives, and did so also in the past. This too would often make them 'bilingual' out of necessity.

Hope this helps

Tilman Brandl

Posted: 20 Feb 2003 5:04PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2004 4:23AM GMT
Thanks, that helps me some.

Debbie

Belinda (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2003 2:14AM GMT
As Tilman says, in modern Germany things (and people) are so mixed up that differences are fading out. However speaking purely linguistically, the difference lies in certain sounds and these sound changes are roughly divided between the "low" areas (the Rhenish fan which includes the Netherlands) and the "High" areas which are more or less from where the more hilly areas start, i.e. south of Bonn-Koblenz. (This is very roughly put). In Platt Deutsch as well as some of the German spoken in the areas bordering the Netherlands, Dutch (and Afrikaans) and Flemish, for example the "sch" is pronounced sharply as "sk" Schipol Airport in Amsterdam is pronounced Skipol, school is pronouned "skool". In High German these sounds are soft "Schule" is pronounced "Shoole". Ich, ("I" - myself) a soft sound in German is "ek" in Dutch and Platt. "Morgen" (morning) is "morer" in Dutch and Platt. Pipe (pronounced "Peepe" in Dutch is "Pfeife" (pronounced something like "Fifer") in German. You can always tell people from the north of Germany (at least you used to be able!) because they say "stock" and "stein" while in High German they say "shtock" and shtein". Obviously in the old days when communities were much more isolated people from smaller places could well speak total "Platt" or "low German" while from another area they would speak completely High German. Hope this helps you a bit, apologies if it is a bit long but it is difficult to put a whole linguistics lesson in a short message

Frank Kurchina (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2003 8:39AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic