Search for content in message boards

Births in BC before 1872, where are they registered?

Births in BC before 1872, where are they registered?

Janet White (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: White
Newton White, born 1859, was the first "white" baby born in New Westminster, BC. I have found his death certificate (1899), but would like to find information on his birth. Family lore has it that a black slave baby was born before Newton, but was not considered important enough to be officially the first baby. Father was Edward White, the first Methodist missionary to New Westminster, April, 1859, who built first house, first church, etc. and whose sister-in-law was the first school teacher in BC (Emily Woodman. Where are these births registered? Perhaps the Methodist Church would be a good start?

Re: Births in BC before 1872, where are they registered?

Lorraine (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2004 3:50AM GMT
Hi,
I don't know if you are still searching or if you have found what you are looking for by now. I went to the B.C. archives and I did find Newton White's death record but it states that there are no birth records or marriage records for him. In the LDS site he is listed in the Canadian census as being born in 1860 but I guess that would depend on his actual birth month and when the census was taken. His Mother is listed as Sarah White and he has an older brother - James, an older siser - Sophia and a younger sister and brother - Emily and Alfred.
My grandfather is Thomas White - born in Ontario and he had a brother named Edward. I have no idea if the two were related to your family or not. I don't think that they were as "my" Edward is born around 1881. (Unless my grandpa's father had a brother by that name.) Anyway, James and Sophia are shown as being born in Ontario with the rest of the children being born in B.C. Maybe (since he is the next child) he was actually born in Ont. too. Sarah is shown as the head of the family as a widow. James, the son was also a Meth. minister. I'm probably too late to be of any help to you but I thought I would look anyway.

Re: Births in BC before 1872, where are they registered?

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 6:04PM GMT
There is a bapt. record for him
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions