Search for content in message boards

Coosenberry, 1st MO INF

Coosenberry, 1st MO INF

Posted: 14 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: Coosenberry, Cushenberry, Cusenbary
I'm doing a one-name study of my Cushenberry ancestors, and would like to know if anyone has any information about a family of Coosenberry's who were living in New Madrid/Pemiscot County pre-Civil War (have one record of a marriage in 1847 in New Madrid) - family appears on the 1860 Pemiscot census. Have lots of Cusenbary information, would love to see if there is a tie-in and exchange notes.

I am particularly interested in Ephraim Coosenberry who served in the 1st Missouri Infantry, and Summerville Coosenbury who married a Wayne Tomblin in 1847 in New Madrid.

Coosenberry

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Goosenberry, Stubbs, Haggard, Smith, Lacher
My great grandmother "Matilda Caroline Goosenberry" was born in Steele, Missouri in Pemiscot, County. Her parents were John Goosenberry and Nellie Stubbs. My great grandmother is gone now, but she did tell me that John's parents died of TB when he was very young. I verified from the 1900 census that John was born in February 1862 in Missouri. I was told that John was raised by a Catholic family by the name of Lacher (My great grandmother couldn't verify the spelling).
I feel as though I have hit a brick wall. I have since discovered that most likely, John's family name was spelled with some variation of Coosenberry. I found Ephraim, Valentine, and Napoleon in the Pemiscot county census list in 1860. Were they brothers? One of them could have been John's father. It seems odd to me that John would have been raised by another family if he had uncle's in the area---unless it was the family of a married female member of the family. I just don't know! Do you have any records of these families after 1860? My great grandmother was born in 1899, and her parents worked as itinerate cotton pickers, living in a sharecroppers shack. They stayed in this area until their deaths in the mid-1900's. I'm mostly interested in linking John to someone before him. I don't find a reference to him anywhere for the first 35 years of his life.

Re: Coosenberry, 1st MO INF

Posted: 13 Mar 2010 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: cousenberry, coosenberry, cosenbury
my grandpa was isaac coosenberry from wayne county tn. his dad was thomas coosenberry of wayne co. tn. i am wondering if e m coosenberry or any of the coosenberrys in mo.are kin to me someway i can only get is far as thomas and a henry cosenberry of indiana. does any of the fit the puzzle you have?

Re: Coosenberry

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 1:58PM GMT
I AM TRYING TO CONNECT THE COOSENBERRYS FROM WAYNE COUNTY TN. TO THE ONES IN MISSOURI. I HAVE A EU COUSINBERRY FROM WAYNE COUNTY CENSUS IN 1889. WONDERING IF THIS IS EPHRAIM COOSENBERRY IN MISSOURI. MY GREAT GREAT GRANDPA WAS A THOMAS COOSENBERRY IN WAYNE COUNTY TRYING TO CONNECT THE DOTS.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic