Search for content in message boards

Davys family of Sligo

Davys family of Sligo

Posted: 30 Nov 2008 3:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davys, Bell, Vernon, Cochran, Soden, D'Espard & Winterscale
I am interested in finding other decendents of Davys family of Sligo. My ancestors Vernon Davys 1809-1879 brewer and bank clerk his wife Anne Reid 1806-1876. Their childern, birth order unknown, Thomas Reid Davys a lawyer died about 1897 Baker Oregon unmarried; James Davys a surgeon died 1863 on voyage Port Phillip Aus. to Callao Peru; Josiah Cochran Davys 1832-1902 wife Margaret, a noted lawyer in Sligo 2 daughters; Margaret Davys died 1899, married Edward Thomas Bell, 12 childern, they lived most of their lives in Bandon Ireland; and 3 daughters Mary, Fanny and Kathleen who did not marry.
Other family names connected to the Davys are Vernon, Cochran, Soden, D'Espard and Winterscale.
Anything sound familiar?

Re: Davys family of Sligo

Posted: 29 Jun 2009 3:27AM GMT
I have an ancester John Winterscale Davys (1826-1909) who died in New Zealand. On his death certificate it says he was born in Ireland and his father was a bank agent, but I have no other info on him yet - this is what i am trying to find out! Do you think he could be connected with your lot? The middlename Winterscale looks quite significant.

Robert

Posted: 1 Jul 2009 5:47AM GMT
Additional to my previous post - I found an article in the New Zealand Paper "The Star" for 25 June 1904 in the "Missing Friends" column, where "his cousin" is asking for information on John Winterscale Davys of Sligo county Ireland who was last heard from in 1860. This provides a pretty firm connection back to the Sligo County Davys and possibly Vernon Davys?

Robert

Posted: 11 Jul 2009 1:52PM GMT
Hi Robret
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I think John Winterscale Davys was connected to Vernon Davys but can only guess at this point. I am in contect with a descendent of his who lives in New Zealand. My email is hbell11804@yahoo.com. Please let know where you are located and your email. I am in New York. Harry

Posted: 13 Jul 2009 6:36AM GMT
Hi Harry. My email is rjpaton@optusnet.com.au & I am located in Sydney, Australia. My family is decended from John Winterscale Davys' grandson, Rex Winterscale Davys who was born in Gisbourne New Zealand, but emigrated to Australia - not sure exactly when, but before 1929 - and so his decendents live in New South Wales, Australia.

Robert

Posted: 5 Nov 2009 12:16PM GMT
Surnames: Winterscale
Robert (and Harry),

I have researched the ancestry of a cousin of mine in Scotland, and found that his mother was descended from John Winterscale, who died in 1858 in Edinburgh, aged 68. He had been a surgeon with the Highland Light Infantry (and present at Waterloo) and later with the Royal Scots Greys. His death certificate gives his father as James Winterscale, London proprietor, and his mother as Elizabeth Winterscale (maiden name Davis). His will, originally dated 1850, provides for legacies to his mother Mrs Elizabeth Winterscale "of Sligo" and to his sisters Miss Eliza Winterscale and Mrs Mary Davis, "both of Sligo".

I could not help note the mention of Sligo somewhere in this thread about John Winterscale Davys. This suggests strongly that the Winterscale family - a very unusual surname it would seem - came from Sligo. I wonder also if your Davys is a variant of the name Davis appearing in the death certificate/will of my John Winterscale?

Best regards,

David Robertson,
Lincolnshire, England.

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 6:08AM GMT
Surnames: Winterscale Davys
Thanks David for this valuable info. There definitely looks like a connection. I am thinking that the Mrs Mary Davis of Sligo (his sister) mentioned in his will may well be the wife of Edmund Soden Davys who was the father of my John Winterscale Davys. However Irish records are hard to find & so it may take me some time to establish this. So thanks for the lead.

Robert

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 8:16PM GMT
David

I too am related to John Winterscale, who died in Edinburgh in 1858. He was my great great grandfather. According to his military records in the National Archives at Kew he was born in Sligo in Ireland on 28 July 1788.

My great grandmother's death certificate states that her father was John Winterscale although he never married my great great grandmother Jane Hutchison. My great grandmother was Elizabeth Winterscale who was born on 3 July 1836. As far as I can see he had no contact with his illegitimate daughter.

If this is of interest then let me know

Best wishes

Richard Gardiner
Esher Surrey

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 9:08PM GMT
Richard,

I'd be delighted to exchange information about John Winterscale. Perhaps you would like to e-mail me via: dmrbraceby[at]hotmail.com.

Regards

David

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 12:01AM GMT
Surnames: Davis/Davys, Winterscale
Robert,
To return to the Winterscale-Davys link, it would seem quite likely that John Winterscale Davys would be the son of a mother whose maiden name was Winterscale. You suggest that the wife of Edmund Soden Davys could be Mary Davis, the sister remembered in the will of army surgeon John Winterscale. If so her father would be James Winterscale, London proprietor, and her mother would be Elizabeth or Eliza Winterscale (maiden name Davis). Do you have any more information about her or her parents?

David
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions