Search for content in message boards

Gaston from Donegal, Ireland to North York Ontario Canada

Gaston from Donegal, Ireland to North York Ontario Canada

Posted: 25 Jul 2001 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: Gaston, Thomas, Warnica
Looking for information on the Gaston family from Donegal, Ireland. Samuel Gaston with his wife believed to be Jane or Mary Jane came to Ontario Canada somewhere between 1874 and 1890 with their children. Number of children are unknown but one was Ellen and another Samuel Jr. They settled in North York Ont. Eleanor (Ellen) Gaston married William Thomas about 1893 and had 14 children in an area now part of Toronto.

Re: Gaston from Donegal, Ireland to North York Ontario Canada

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jul 2006 1:37AM GMT
Surnames: Gaston
Bill
I have some information regarding Samuel Gaston. He married Janie Mae Gillispie. The married in Toronto. This is my great great great grandfather and grand mother. They had 7 children, William, Isabella, Charles, Samuel, Eleanor, Mary Jane and Ann Eliza. I have some more information reqarding the family if you are interested. I am new to this family tree, if you have any information regarding this I would be interested. Hope this helps.
Thank You
Nicole Gaston

Bill Warnica (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2002 8:59PM GMT
Thank you for your reply Nicole. This is the correct family as I have the same names as you. Sam and Janie are my great grandparents and the child you have listed as Eleanor is my grandmother. I was looking for information on their life in Ireland, the ship that brought them to Canada, the immigration details Etc. As well as to find more lost cousins.
Which line are you from?
Please let me know if there is any information you would like.
Thanks again
Bill Warnica
billwarnica@rogers.com

Eileen (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2005 8:10PM GMT
Bill, I am working on the Eleanor Gaston/William Thomas line as well for my step-father whose first wife (now deceased) was a grandddaughter.

I have that Samuel Gaston and Mary Jane Gillespie were married 2 December 1862 in Ballymore Church, Clondahorky Parish, Co. Donegal and emigrated to Canada in 1882 (as per the 1901 census). Samuel died 22 March 1920 and Mary Jane died 19 May 1923. Both are buried in St. John's Cemetery, York Mills. From the info I have, you are descended from Ellen & William's daughter, Minnie.

Ellen died 7 March 1951 and William sometime before that as her obituary states she was a widow, but I have been unable to find an obit.

Bill Warnica (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2005 2:00AM GMT
Hi Eileen
Please let me know what information you are missing and I'm sure I can help. Yes I'm Minnie's youngest son.
Bill Warnica

bill (at) warnica . net

Posted: 2 Aug 2008 11:06PM GMT
Surnames: Gaston, Robinson, Alcorn
Hi Bill,

Not sure if you have found the information you were looking for but here it is anyways.

Samuel and Mary Jane (GILLESPIE) Gaston left Ireland, via Londonderry, Jun 29, 1883 onboard the ship Sarmatian and arrived in Quebec City on Jul 9, 1883. The Sarmatian was part of the Allan Steamship Lines. I also have located a picture of this ship if you are interested.

Traveling with Samuel and Mary Jane were their children; Isabella, Charles, Samuel, Ellen, Mary Jane and Anne Eliza. Also traveling with the family was Jane Gaston, matron, age 60 and Alexander Robinson and his wife Mary Alcorn Robinson.

The Gaston party are found on page 14 of the ships passenger list.

Missing from the group is their oldest son, William Hamilton Gaston. It is assumed that William arrived ahead of the family to secure a residence for the family prior to their arrival. Also missing is Samuel's brother William and his family.

I have been working on the Gaston family for approximately 10 years now and have quite a bit of information. If you require any further information let me know and I will check my files to see if I have what you are looking for. I have a copy of the marriage registration record for Samuel and Mary Jane from Ireland.

You may contact me directly if you prefer.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Lynn

rlbenn@shaw.ca

per page

Find a board about a specific topic