Search for content in message boards

German Military Uniform and Translation HELP

German Military Uniform and Translation HELP

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 1:35AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Scheiba Braun
This picture was found among a box of items of my grandfather's. We have no idea who this man is or what the translation on the back reads. Can someone please help me identify the uniform and message on back.

I know my grandfather was born in Elbing, Germany and moved to the State in 1926. We had thought all contact ceased when they moved but we have recently found pictures and postcards simular to the attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Re: German Military Uniform and Translation HELP

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Melissa,

I replied to another of your postings requesting German translation help. I am not a native speaker, although my husband is and I lived in Germany when we were first married. I am making an initial translation for you in case you don't get another reply.

The writing on the back of the photo is written in the old Suetterlin writing style no longer used in Germany. It is tough for most younger people to decipher. Here's what I could read:

Happy birthday wishes for your birthday, dear brother-in-law Anton, from your brother-in-law Willy ??? This photo was ???

Hopefully someone else can fill in the last few words, and correct me if I'm mistaken (especially with the word Schwager).

If you look closely, you can see a Swastika symbol on the button of the uniform.

Posted: 23 Jun 2009 6:29PM GMT
The translation of the text is:
Happy birthday wishes for your birthday, dear brother-in-law Anton, from your brother-in-law Willy & Anny. The photo of me will follow.
(Die herzlichsten Geburtstagsgrüße zu Deinem Geburtstag sendet Dir lieber Schwager Anton Dein Schwager Willy & Anny. Das Bild von mir kommt noch.)

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 7:53PM GMT
I am, by no means, an expert, but it looks to me as this uniform is an early version of the Sturmabteilung. If I am correct, he was a Truppführer, which in today's equivalent, would make him the equivalent rank of a US Army Staff Sergeant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_and_insignia_of_the_St...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic