Search for content in message boards

JORDAN/MILLS

JORDAN/MILLS

Posted: 29 Dec 2001 8:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jordan, Mills
I'm looking for descendants of the JORDAN and MILLS lines in Fairfield Co., CT. Would appreciate any connections. Thanks!

Re: JORDAN/MILLS

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 1:19AM GMT
Which area of CT are your Mills from?

Jana M. Hofer (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2002 2:41AM GMT
As far as I have been able to establish they are from Fairfield Co., CT. My gggg-grandparents were Timothy JORDAN and Sarah MILLS JORDAN.

Posted: 2 Jan 2002 10:43AM GMT
Surnames: MILLS
Hello! You said, "I'm looking for descendants of the JORDAN and MILLS lines in Fairfield Co., CT. Would appreciate any connections."

I don't have JORDAN in my tree--at least not in my Greenwich families, but I have some suggestions for resources:

Spencer P. Mead writes, in "Ye History of Greenwich, County of Fairfield, State of Connecticut," New York, NY: Knickerbocker (1911), reprint by Picton Press (1992), page 617:

"MILLS FAMILY"
RICHARD MILLS, born in England about 1595; came to America about 1635; settled in Wethersfield, Conn., before 1641; sold out about 1643, and removed to New Haven, Conn., where he died about 1668. He married 1st, ; 2d, widow of William Constable. The children by his first wife, were Richard, born about 1630; Samuel, born about 1632; John, born about 1636; and several daughters. John remained in New Haven; Richard and Samuel were in Stamford, Conn., in 1660, and witnessed to will of George Stuckey. Richard remained in Stamford and Samuel removed to Long Island, where he died in 1685.

Samuel MILLS, the first in the MILLS family to settle in the town of Greenwich, bought land there on the eighteenth day of January, 1712. There is no entry on the town records of his marriage, or the birth of any children."

[*****PLEASE NOTE: this relationship, mentioned by S.P. MEAD, between Samuel and Richard MILLS, is not supported in the more recent genealogy of the RUNDLE family: Rundall, George Ardel. THE RUNDLE, RUNDEL, RANDLE, RANDOL, RANDALL, RUNDALL, RUNDELL, RUNNELL ANCESTRY OF LONG ISLAND AND GREENWICH 1667-1992. The Andundsen Publishing Company, Decorah, Iowa Publishers [1991] LDS FHC, LA, CA. 929.273 R87Iru; Rundall says that Samuel's father was GEORGE MILLS.I offer both versions of this data to you, for clues to other research. mm]
----------------------------------------------------------
Name: George MILLS1
—————————————————————————————————————————————
Birth Date: ca 1605
Birth Place: probably Yorkshire, England
Death Date: 17 Oct 1694
Death Place: Jamaica, Jamaica Co., Long Island, New York

Misc. Notes
George Mills and Dietrich Sutphen are credited with being the first settlers of Jamaica. In 1682, there is an entry in Jamaica records, “I George Mills of Ye Towne of Jamaica in ye North Rydinge of Yorkshire upon L.I.”

He had sons Samuel, and probably George, Zachariah, Nathaniel, Isaac and Jonathan, all of whom appeared in the Jamaica records. 1, p. 566

Spouse: unknown w/o George MILLS

Children
Samuel MILLS2
Birth Date: ca 16311
Birth Place: New England
Birth Memo: actual citation is “ca 1631/2” note: not in the Great Migration 1620-1633. Look for the next volumes.
Death Date: 10 Mar 1726
Death Place: Jamaica, Long Island, New York
Death Memo: 10 Mar 1726/27

Misc. Notes
Resident of Jamaica, Long Island, Queens Co., (created 1683 from Jamaica Co.) New York.1, p. 564

“Denton Mills July 27 1752 bought of Samuel Mills Jr. his right in his father’s inheritance.” 3, p. 473
“ Samuel Mills Jan. 18 1712 bought land of Samuel Husted.” February 24 1731 deed land to his son, Samuel Jr. “Samuel Mills Jr. Mar 19 1716 bought land of his father, Samuel Mills.” “Samuel Mills Jr. son of Samuel Mills, Mar 2 1748 bought land of Caleb Reynolds.” 3, p. 474.

THE HISTORY OF LONG ISLAND...by Benjamin Thompson, Counsellor at law, Vol. II, 1843, p. 48:
NY GAZETTE: Mar 12 1726. Obituary of Samuel Mills.

“On Friday last died at Jamaica, Queens Co., NY Samuel Mills, Yoeman, who was born in America, aged 95 years. He was always a laborious, honest man of a very temperate life, and he was able to do a good day’s work but a few days before he died. He lived 68 years with one wife who is still alive, by whom he had 16 children. He hath left behind him 9 children, 80 grandchildren, and 45 great-grandchildren, and several of this great grandchildren are marriageable. His wife was delivered of a child when she was one and fifty years of age.”1, p. 567

MICROFILM GREENWICH CT LAND RECORDS Vol. 2, pg. 236 at CT State Library:
“Samuel Mills’ wife Susannah, married abt 1658 was a sister of John Palmer of Greenwich, CT” and taken from a deed dated Mar. 19 1716 in Greenwich, given by Samuel & Susannah Mills of Jamaica. “....unto one of my four sons Samuel Mills of Greenwich, a certain tract of land within the twp. of Greenwich which is the 6th of that right which was granted by the town unto our brother, John Palmer of Greenwich, deceased.” Another deed dated Mar. 19, 1716 from his father and mother of Jamaica for the right of land in Greenwich which his mother had from her deceased brother, John Palmer of Greenwich.” 1, p. 567

Spouse: Susannah PALMER
Marriage Date: ca 16572
Marriage Place: Jamaica, Jamaica Co., Long Island, New York
Marriage Memo note: ca 1657/58
[*****NOTE: RUNDALL says "there is a controversy over whether Susannah and John were members of the Lt. William Palmer family."p. 568.]

Sources
1. Rundall, George Ardel. THE RUNDLE, RUNDEL, RANDLE, RANDOL, RANDALL, RUNDALL, RUNDELL, RUNNELL ANCESTRY OF LONG ISLAND AND GREENWICH 1667-1992. The Andundsen Publishing Company, Decorah, Iowa Publishers [1991]
2. Rundall, George Ardel. THE RUNDLE, RUNDEL, RANDLE, RANDOL, RANDALL, RUNDALL, RUNDELL, RUNNELL ANCESTRY OF LONG ISLAND AND GREENWICH 1667-1992. The Andundsen Publishing Company, Decorah, Iowa Publishers [1991] p. 564.
3. Mead, Spencer Percival. YE HISTORIE OF THE TOWN OF GREENWICH, County of Fairfield, and State of Connecticut. (Being a revision, amplification of and continuation of the town of Greenwich published in 1857 by Daniel M. Mead) (1911)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked the LDS Family History Library Card Catalog online and it came up with 312 Mills family connections. I did a quick look, and didn't see any that were definite Fairfield County MILLS family compiled records, but the link is:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermain...

You can also check this site for vital records and other sources that have been microfilmed by the FHC and are available to be ordered from your local LDS FHC. Just click on the LOCALITY INDEX, type in Greenwich or Stamford or Jamaica or whatever. . ..and it will list a printable index of the myriad of local records that you can order from your local LDS FHC.

Check MILLS in PERSI (you can search PERSI at www.ancestry.com--or check for PERSI at your local library. (FHC or otherwise.)
Check MILLS in the Index for TAG/The American Genealogist
Check MILLS in the Index for the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society
Check MILLS in the Index for the CT Nutmegger/CT Society of Genealogists
Check the BARBOUR Collection for MILLS and JORDAN.

I posted some Greenwich land records at the ctfairfi site and there are three MILLS records there:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctfairfi/pages/greenwich/grnwich_la...

I also checked a resource for early Greenwich and Stamford families. It's the Dutch Colonies list on Rootsweb.
You go to: http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl
Then, type EXACTLY: Dutch-Colonies
When you get to the search engine for Dutch Colonies, you can then search for MILLS or any other names of interest.
Greenwich and Stamford were part of the Dutch Colony from 1642 to 1650. There may be a lot of hits for grist mills and saw mills, etc., but you might find some records there.

Good luck and happy New Year!

Maureen Mead
mmeadpond@aol.com
USGenWeb Project CC Fairfield County, CT: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctfairfi

Jana M. Hofer (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2002 5:13AM GMT
Surnames: JORDAN, MILLS
Maureen: thanks so much for your generous sharing of information. I read it over quickly but will take the time to look at it in more detail. I appreciate the other sources you provided as well. Again, I appreciate your interest and generosity. Have a wonderful New Year!

Re George Mills from North Riding now as West Riding Yorkshire

Posted: 9 May 2008 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Mills
Wonder which is correct, your entry as North Riding or ??

DNA Testing has been done on (hope is correct) descendant of the George, my brother DNA test on www.familytreedna.com under MILLS, now as category 600 and 600a. further break down of category just recently.

6 MILLS family descendants did DNA test, all match on at least, the first 12 markers. Couple of them, match all 25 to 37 markers.

John and Lewis of New Jersey listed with no parents. Any help at all out there. Thank you.

Pat
cw
Did the north Riding get changed to West riding, by research of Kirk LARSEN. Apparently his address on familysearch.org is no longer good.

NOTE: Also there are no MILLS families listed on the web site, Y-Search or www.familytreedna.com under British Isles, that match to the George, in Yorkshire.

Save those already listed on www.familytreedna.com under MILLS category 600 and now 600a.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic