Search for content in message boards

Great Yarmouth Pubs , Albert LARN licensee, previously fisherman, and Florence Emma LARN

Great Yarmouth Pubs , Albert LARN licensee, previously fisherman, and Florence Emma LARN

Sandra (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2006 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jun 2011 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: LARN , ALEXANDER
Getting desperate to find more info, live in Cheshire and need to travel to Norfolk soon to sort this out.

My dad's dad married Florence Emma Larn who was born in 1891. She died in 1967 so I only knew her when I was small. She married in 1918 to William Dimelow and had her first child Florence Maud in 1918 at 1 Grosvenor Road G Yarmouth AUNT EMMA M ALEXANDER WAS PRESENT AT THE BIRTH AND LIVED AT 23 CLARENCE ROAD YARMOUTH. IF YOU ARE A DESCENDANT PLEASE CONTACT ME. My dad is in v poor health and I dearly wish to find more of his history asap. He met his mum's sister in 1955 when he spent his honeymoon in Yarmouth. He thinks his own dad created bad feeling in the family and contact was lost with Yarmouth. Florence Emma's resting place is her father's grave in Gorleston.

I think Florence Emma's dad Albert Larn was running a pub when she married. I know he died about 1935 and was born 1863 and married Mary Ann Alexander on 8 April 1888 atThe Parish Church of Great Yarmouth -DOES THIS STILL EXIST? Albert and Mary Ann were living in the Row's in 1888, DO ANY OF THESE STILL EXIST? Albert's marriage certificate has no father entered. DOES ANYONE ALREADY HAVE ANY HISTORY ON THESE LARN'S? I am totally stuck with his history otherwise.

In 1901 Albert wasn't at home on the census so I'm hoping he was out fishing. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I COULD FIND OUT WHAT BOAT OR BOAT'S HE WORKED ON? He had son's older and younger than Florence Emma too DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ANY OF THEM? I found a record of Albert running a pub that had been run previously by Daniel Alexander which is also his father in law's name. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN FIND RECORDS OF LICENSEE'S IN YARMOUTH FROM 1900 ONWARDS?

Lastly I have found a 1901 census return for Dan'l Alexander age 57 Master of Steam Tug born Loddon Norfolk and living at 112 Havelock Road Yarmouth. His wife Mary Ann Alexander age 55 born Yarmouth and their son Edward Alexander a cooper and age 18, yet another link to the sea and to pubs. WELL NORFOLK FOLK CAN YOU HELP?

Sandra

Re: Pubs Great Yarmouth Albert Larn licensee previously fisherman and Florence Emma Larn

Geoffers (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2006 11:52PM GMT
[The Parish Church of Great Yarmouth -DOES THIS STILL EXIST?]

Yep, still there despite WW2
http://www.petticoated.com/stnicholas.htm

[Albert and Mary Ann were living in the Row's in 1888, DO ANY OF THESE STILL EXIST?]

Have a look at
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/5564/rows.html

[Albert's marriage certificate has no father entered.]

It is likely (but not certain) that he was illegitimate - his father may have died and the certificate been filled in incorrectly. You would need to obtain his birth certificate, or check the parish register for a baptism to be certain.

The 1871 census shows what might be your Albert aged 8 living in Row 17:

LONG Mary Ann 51 hd wid Net Mender, bn Yarmouth
LARN Mary A 27 dau, mar Net Mender, bn Yarmouth
LONG Rachel 18 dau, unm Factory hand, bn Yarmouth
LONG Samuel 13 son, Sailor, bn Yarmouth
LARN Albert 8 son sch,bn Yarmouth
LARN Alice 6 dau, sch, Yarmouth
LARN Arthur 4 son, sch, Yarmouth
LARN Ellen 1 dau, bn Yarmouth

This might be Mary Ann Long in the 1881 census:
Row 13, Great Yarmouth
RG11/1912 f110 p31
Mary LONG, hd, mar, 61, Beester (net), bn Yarmouth
Ellen LARN, granddaur, 11, scholar, bn Yarmouth (handicap, blind).

I couldn't find Albert, possibly away at sea??

[1901 Albert wasn't at home on the census so I'm hoping he was out fishing. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I COULD FIND OUT WHAT BOAT OR BOAT'S HE WORKED ON?]

You might try the local library in case they have a special colelction of local history. Other than that it's a case of trawling (sorry!) the records at The National Archives

[DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN FIND RECORDS OF LICENSEE'S IN YARMOUTH FROM 1900 ONWARDS?]

Your best hope is the Norfolk pubs web-site
http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/index.htm

By the way, lots of typing in capitals looks like someone shouting and gives a confused look to a message. It tends to put people off. There are better ways of formatting text to make questions stand out.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Re: Great Yarmouth Pubs, Albert LARN licensee, previously fisherman, and Florence Emma LARN

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 4:39PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2011 2:20PM GMT
Just found your 2006 post. Albert Larn was my great-grandfather, and Florence Emma my great aunt (though I know nothing about her.) I know a bit about Albert and some of his family, so get back to me if you would like more info.

David

Re: Great Yarmouth Pubs , Albert LARN licensee, previously fisherman, and Florence Emma LARN

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 5:58PM GMT
Hi, I'm Richard James Vincent Larn, and I live in the Isles of Scilly. I have researched my own tree back to 1800 but am now stuck, and without going to Norfolk and researching Parish Registers amd not going to get earlier information. I have masses of information on early Larn's living in Gt. Yarmouth. I lived in Gorleston until I was evacuated in 1939. Does anyone have the name of a good family researcher who I could hire to do some work for me please?
Hope to hear from someone 'richardlarn@tiscali.co.uk'
Regards, Richard Larn.OBE

Re: Great Yarmouth Pubs , Albert LARN licensee, previously fisherman, and Florence Emma LARN

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: Larn
This may be much to late for you, but you might be able to find details of the boats in the Time & Tide Museum in Great Yarmouth. You are allowed to go through their archives. My great grandfather was a fisherman as well and actually lived in Blackfriar's Road where the museum is situated. There is a website for Gorleston as well Gorleston-Heritage that you may find of interest.

Some of my ancestors were called Larner, but they, as far as I'm aware, came from Oxfordshire, so there is probably no connection. There were some in Great Yarmouth, but I haven't investigated them yet.
The Norfolk Records Office in Norwich is a good source of information as well.

I hope you are successful in your research.

Heather.

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 5:36PM GMT

Hi Sandra, you were asking about the parish church in Gt.
Yarmouth,this could be St.Peter's,I was there a few years
ago from sunny Cheshire,and it had been converted into a
Greek Orthodox church,my late mother in law was married at
that church,her maiden was Ewles,which was a fishing family
if there is anybody in Yarmouth by that name,I will be pleased to hear from you,contact me on the Cheshire Notice Board. Bye Sandra.
Regards, Charles.

Re: Great Yarmouth Pubs, Albert LARN licensee, previously fisherman, and Florence Emma LARN

Posted: 5 May 2013 4:02PM GMT
Surnames: Larn, Dimelow.
Hello,
I have been following this strand about the Larns and am very keen to get in touch with you for more information if you are happy to share research. Sandra is my Dad's cousin and has been studying the family history from Cheshire as I have from my former homes in Runcorn and Portsmouth and now in Hartlepool. The Florence Maud born in 1918 that Sandra spoke of was my Grandmother. Bill and Florence Emma Dimelow (nee Larn) were her parents.
I would really like to get some more info on this branch of our clan from yourself and of course, any others who may read this.
Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Bob.

Posted: 5 May 2013 5:36PM GMT
Surnames: Larn
My grandfather was Arthur Edward Larn(1893- 1958), brother of Florence Emma (1891-1967)) - they also had siblings Albert Victor (1889- 1910),William Frederick (1896-1946), Daniel(died same year as birth 1894), Maud Ellen (1899-1971), possibly another child who died young, and a half brother John Henry Alexander (1885-1959) born illegitimate to Mary Ann Alexander before her marriage to Albert Larn in 1888. Albert Larn (1863-1935)was born after his parents married in 1860, but there is no father recorded on his birth certificate. I believe his father (George Larn) was at sea when his mother (Mary Ann Long) became pregnant, and George was not prepared to acknowledge the child as his own!

I have more details of some of these - contact me by email northbayhouse@ukgateway.net if you are interested.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic