Search for content in message boards

Reverend John Wheeler (m. 1809) Mary Franklin (MA>NY>OH)

Reverend John Wheeler (m. 1809) Mary Franklin (MA>NY>OH)

Posted: 12 Jun 2005 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Aug 2005 12:03PM GMT
Surnames: Wheeler, Franklin

I am descended from Reverend John Wheeler and Mary Franklin. They were married in Richmond, Ontario Co., New York in 1809 and moved to Huron Co., Ohio.
He was born in Rehoboth, MA. in 1787. She was born in Swansea, MA. in 1785? Does anyone know who her parents were?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Re: Reverend John Wheeler (m. 1809) Mary Franklin (MA>NY>OH)

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 10:55PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2013 5:44PM GMT
Surnames: Wheeler, Franklin, VanTine, Tucker
I also descend from Rev. John Wheeler and Mary "Polly" Franklin through their daughter Almira Mary b. 21 Mar 1822 in Greenfield, Huron Co., Ohio and d. 28 May 1899 in Flora, Clay Co., Illinois. She married Hiram J. VanTine 4 Nov 1840 in Greenfield, Ohio. She married Dr. Ephraim W. Tucker 26 June 1866 in Erie County, Ohio after the death of Hiram.
My great-aunt left a lineage chart of the Wheeler family and on it she indicated that Mary Franklin was the daughter of Barney Franklin. And that Mary and John Wheeler were married 24 Oct 1809 in Utica, New York.
Mary was born 6 June 1787 in Swansea, Bristol Co., Massachusetts and died 18 June 1848 in Steuben, Huron Co., Ohio. She is buried at the Steuben Cemetery. You can find a picture of her grave at www.findagrave.com, along with Rev. John Wheeler.
I have not had much luck in locating any information on Barney Franklin. Possibly we can be of some help to each other. If nothing else, we can commiserate on trying to fathom through the Franklin genealogy.

Re: Reverend John Wheeler (m. 1809) Mary Franklin (MA>NY>OH)

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 5:52PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2013 4:30PM GMT
Surnames: Franklin, Barney
Greetings Cousin,

I appreciate your replying to an ealier message of mine about our common ancestors. My father worked at the Ohio State Museum, I so became a genealogy researcher veery early.

In the mid 1960s, I found that the only Franklin family in Swansea in the 1790 cencus was that of Samuel (nickname Lemuel) Franklin. With further research, I learned that his wife's ame was Sarah Barney. I think that is were the confusion developed as it was her mother's name was BARNEY. In 2006, I visited the Steuben, Ohio cemetery. Mary's age was given as 53 -- so her birthdate was 1785, not 1787. She would have been born when her mother was in her mid 40s. I questioned this, but have heard medical programs to the effect that earlier women who had one child after another often gave bith until ca. 50.

Please feel free to contact me. Through my grandfather's generation, my Ohio ncestors were born in Steuben, Ohio.

I have quite a bit of information on the Franklins and Barneys of Swansea/Rehoboth. E-mail Kristiwheeler47@hotmail.com

Warmly,

Kristi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions