Search for content in message boards

SLAVES OF HOUSTON COUNTY, GEORGIA

Slaves of Houston County

Gaila Merrington (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Woolfolk, Thompson, slappy
These Slaves attended the Fellowship Primitive Baptist Church Rolls 1853
Dave - a man of color - property of Wm ?
Jacob - a man of color - property of of Hez Tompson

Sollowman - a man of color - property of J.W. Woolfolk
Susan - a woman of color- property of J.W. Woolfolk
Andrew - a man of color - property of R.H. Slappy
Moses, a man of color - property of Joseph K?
John " "

Sylla - a woman of color - property of R.H. Slappy
Mariah - " " " " "

Hope this is useful information. Gaila

SLAVES OF HOUSTON COUNTY, GEORGIA

Posted: 13 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 8:06PM GMT
Surnames: Alexander, Littlejohn, Threat, Threatt, Dwight, Jolly, Thomas, King, Richardson, Knight, Green, Walker, Anderson, Woolfolk, Woodard, Reed, Mathews, Bryan, Durham
Looking for any information on slaves of houston county with any sir names. Mentions in wills, sales, birth and death records, church records, etc

Slaves of Houston co. Ga.

Posted: 14 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jun 2003 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: CLARK, CROSS, TILL, JORDAN, WEST
I do not have slave names belonging to the surnames listed in the foregoing query; however, do have names of several slaves in the accompanying surname list: CLARK, CROSS, JORDAN, WEST. If anyone is interested I will be happy to share.
Also, in SLAVE NARRATIVES at http://www.rootsweb.com, I found three ex-slave interviewees from Houston co., Ga: Elsie Moreland, Annie Huff (each surname was that of the "Master"), and Shade Richards (2nd owner of mother was Hamilton)

FYI: also found interesting interviews of ex-slaves in Pulaski and Dooly counties.
Posted: 17 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: cross, king

i am interested in any of the slave narratives you have for houston cty, ga, or any other county in ga. my gggf was john warren cross who married sarah king in 1854 in wilkinson cty, ga, but i'm not sure if that is the county he came from, or she came from. i know nothing about his parents. please send me anything you have and i will gladly share what i have on them. thanks, bobbie

john w. cross

Posted: 18 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: cross, king

thank you for the info. i think you are correct about this not being the same john w. cross. i appreciate you taking your time. bobbie

SLAVE NARRATIVES

Posted: 18 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jun 2003 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: CROSS
In the Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com/) website database: SLAVE NARRATIVES, I found the Slave Narratives given by the following INTERVIEWEES who were former slaves in Houston co. Ga:
Annie Huff; Shade Richards in Pike co -- mother born in Houston co., but sold to Mr. Neal in Pike; Elsie Moreland.
Interviewees from Dooly co:
Bob Mobley, Joe Mcormick
Pulaski co.:
Martha Everette,Caroline Malloy
Locust Grove, Ga (? county):
Mollie Malone
--you can search by slave surname or by keyword (use county name & state to find a list of interviewees in particular counties).
NOTE: this & all Ancestry.com databases (found in LIST OF ALL DATABASES) are being offered FREE of charge to site visitors until July 31, 2000 apparently as part of their marketing in relation to the upcoming merger with rootsweb.com. Original source for this data from: Works Project Administration (WPA). Federal Writers Project. SLAVE NARRATIVES; A FOLK HISTORY OF SLAVERY IN THE UNITED STATES FROM INTERVIEWS WITH FORMER SLAVES. Washington, D.C.
These narravtives are often rich in detail about daily life and about "master's" and their families. Contains 3,500 interview with former slaves collected over a 10 yr. period beginning in 1929.

Another very good site to search for African American ancestry is at AfriGeneas which can be accessed through the on-line resources page for Houston co. one can post & view queries, and there is a list of researchers, surnames and the locale being researched. I have found researchers for the surnames/locales of my own ancestors who owned slaves.

Regarding your Cross/King research:
In my CROSS line, John W. Cross (b. abt 1809/10) was the son of Edward Cross who migrated from Va., N.C., Ga.(Washington, Houston, Dooly counties). John W. Cross married Winifred Grady. I don't think this one is the one for whom you are looking. I've seen several message boards with queries about another John W. in another Ga. county during the same time period. good luck in finding him.

Slaves of James Heard

Gaila Merrington (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Heard, Cherry
This notice from the 1848 Macon Messenger names some or all of the slaves of the James and Nancy Heard family.

EXECUTORS SALE. Will be sold on the 1st Tues in Jan, HOUSTON County, Perry Courthouse.
4 Negroes: Edmund, a man about 24 years old,
Mariah, a woman about 27,
Caroline, a girl about 4,
Sam, a boy about 1 year old;
also at the same time 350 acres of land, known as the farm and residence of James HEARD, late of said county, deceased, lying and being in the 5th district of Houston and joining the lands of Dunkins,Sikers and others.
William Cherry, Exec of last will ofJames Heard, dec'd

john w cross followup

Posted: 29 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: cross, king, stokes

just another question, are you sure of the name of john w cross' wife? the reason i am asking is because nancy cross, with sons james h(hiram), and john w, show up in the 1860 union cty, ar census, and john w is the sil of jehu king, and mary polly taylor goddy. is it possible that john w could have been married more than once? i have him married to sara king in wilkinson cty, ga in 1854. what is the info on john w and the other lady? i appreciate your help. thanks. bobbie

nancy and leonard cross

Posted: 31 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: cross, stokes

dear dot, do you have any information on the leonard cross who is listed in houston co, ga in the 1840 census census? i have been told by another source that nancy cross is the mother of my john w cross, and it is believed that leonard j cross is her husband. thank you for any information you can give me. bobbie

jw cross followup

Posted: 2 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: cross

thanks dot, i'll just keep digging. bobbie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions