Search for content in message boards

JAMES COX MURDER-Limestone Co AL

JAMES COX MURDER-Limestone Co AL

Posted: 9 Oct 1999 6:19AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 11:40AM GMT
Looking for information on murder of James Cox 1850 Limestone Co AL(mortality schedule) and/or murder of John M Cox and wife in MO 1869 (may be the John M Cox on 1850 Limestone Co Census) as "update" of murder was in Athens AL newspaper.

James Cox and wife murder in AL?

Elaine Cox Devine (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 1999 12:30AM GMT
My grandfather, James Walter Cox, Mississippi, wrote a story (lost now) about his life - in it he told about his parents being murdered - in South Carolina or North Carolina, I thought. I don't guess this could be connected? My grandfather died in 1947 at age 63. Thanks, Elaine

Andrew James Cox, Sr.

Melba (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 1999 3:55AM GMT
My husband's great grandfather was murdered in South Carolina. He has, on a hand shake, bought property from the Eddy family. Finding out later the property, apparently, was not clear of leins, he confronted the Eddy family. Mysteriously, the court house was burn, burning all previous records. Papa Cox was murdered shortly there after. The story goes, the Eddy's came upon the actual murder, and caught the man, a black man, and hung him. We feel that this man was innocent. Have you any information or knowledge of this event? Andrew James Cox, Sr. was his son, he was married to Docie Creel. Andrew Sr., had 2 sons, EL (Edgar Langston) and Andrew James, Jr. I am not sure how many daughters, I believe 4 or 5. All are deceased, except Andrew Jr. and EL. I am eager to find out if you or anyone knows anything of this family. Thank you, Melba

Message 350

Sandra Clark (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 1999 3:40PM GMT
Ms Newlin-Unfornately I know nothing of this
murder. I do know that my Grandfather and
Grandmother met and lived in Athens, Ala and
were married in Lauderdale co. My g-father is
Joesph Sanford Cox and married Mattie Collier.
Does this ring a bell? Could it be the same
family? Thank you for you time
Posted: 9 Nov 1999 4:54AM GMT
Sandra Sorry don't have those names. So many Cox in Limestone Co. Will keep in touch if I find any info. Laura
Posted: 9 Nov 1999 5:04AM GMT
Elaine. "Almost" sure murder of James Cox took place in Limestone Co AL.

Cox Family-Aiken,SC

Judy Brown Brickner (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 1999 6:41PM GMT
Melba,
The only Cox we have is our gggrandmother,Caroline (Carrie)Elizabeth Cox who married William Henry Wise.She was a young woman during the Civil Was so we surmise she was born around 1840 or so; she lived to old age died some time after 1913. We have no word on her parents.Since Aiken wasn't a county until 1871, you can find our Cox in the Edgefield District of that time. Please let me know how you make out! Judy Brown Brickner

Cox in Limestone Co. Alabama

Bev Stuart (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2000 2:31AM GMT
I do not have info on the murder. However,
I am seeking relatives of David and Mary Cox
of Limestone Co. who later moved to St.
Louis. David was born about 1846 and Mary
was born about 1850. David was a blacksmith.
Anyone with info pls let me know. Thanks.
Posted: 19 Jan 2000 7:42AM GMT
Looked through my notes and have nothing on a David or Mary. So many Cox in Limestone. I'm researching James/John Cox m ?Shores. Children William, Samuel, Mary, James, Louisa, Hannah

Cox in Limestone County AL

Bev Stuart (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2000 12:09AM GMT
Thanks for checking. If I find anything on
yours I will let you know. I am just
starting.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic