Searching Hungarian surnames

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 8:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chontos(Csontos) Pasko(Pasco), Senyo, Bute
Chontos (Csontos) from Magyardov Abauj Hungary
Pasko (Pasco) from Kisiniszi (?) Hungary
Senyo
Bute (Two dots over the u)
I would appreciate any information on these names, my mother didn't talk much about it. Thank you.
JayneCT

Re: CSONTOS, PASCO/PASKO, SENYO/SENO, BUTE

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 12:45AM GMT
JayneCT

Lets put the surname in the subject. Hoping for more hits/connection for you.
An old 1910 Hungarian megye map:
http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910
Magyar is meaning Hungarian/Hungary but the ending ov is not Hungarian. Maybe it should be Magyarbod, Abauj megye, Hungary now Bidovce, Slovak Republic.
www.travelingluck.com
www.maplandia.com
www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
The village of Bidovce is in area code/UTO 055 of SK's phone book www.zoznamst.sk CSONTOS and C^ONTOS^ but none in Bidovce. In Bidovce's phone book a SEN^O (SENYO in Hungarian).
www.obce.info village Bidovce has 1157 inhabitants.
What could Kisiniszi be? Kamenica? Kosice?
Arriving thru Ellis Island: CSONTOS Erzebet from Bidivce (Bidovce); CSONTOS Janos from Magyarbod; CSONTOS Andras from Magyarbod;
PAS^KO in Kosice, Krasna nad Hornadom, Slanec and Sady nad Torysou -all in area code 055. I find BUTI (umlauts on U) in SK in very small numbers but none in 055.
An ALL site for research in SK:
www.iabsi.com/gen/public
www.pavlovics.com
www.cisarik.com
www.cgsi.org
www.radixforum.com
http://genforum.com
www.cassovia.sk
You might want to check into the LDS-Mormons website for church records of Bidovce.
www.kuijsten.de/navigator

Re: CSONTOS, PASCO/PASKO, SENYO/SENO, BUTE

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 5:24PM GMT
I want to thank you for all the information you supplied. As far as I know both Chontos and Pasco came from Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen, Hungary. Pasco was from the town of Kisiniszi sp? or Kiskinis? I have seen it on a map and had the church records at my local LDS center. The info I have I got from a Reformed church in Fairfield County, CT. Here is more info.
Imre (James) Chontos b 24 D 1885 d 1 Jan 1945
Barbara (Borbola)Pasco b 27 Jan 1890 d 10 July 1931
James Chontos
Senyo Borbola I don't know which is the 1st name, but this is the way I have it on a chart. I see Borbola can also be a last name.

Istvan Pasko
Katalin Bute
That is as far as I have gotten. Imre came over on the Slavonia and Borbola on the Carpathia at age 16. It seems as though they may have met in CT. They were married 23 Nov 1907.

Re: CSONTOS, PASKO, SENYO/SENO, BUTE

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 6:08PM GMT
Your welcome.

In Hungarian custom, the surname is first then the first name. SENYO, Borbala
A first name translation site:
http://topolcsanyi.alphalink.com.au/names
As you might know there is an Abauj megye, Borsod megye and a Zemplen megye.
It seems the village is Kiskinizs, Abauj megye, Hungary. On old Abauj megye map it is North of Szikszo as K. kinizs.
http://lazarus.elte.hu/autotk nice map
CSONTOS in Hungarian; C^ONTOS in Slovak; CHONTOS in English - all in pronounciation.
They most likely knew each other in old country. Common language was a must in the old days. The village would be within 10 miles radius.
Barbala PASKO arr. in 1906 from Kiskinizs going to sister PASKO Zsuzsa in ..walk, Conn.
Use one step/gold form www.stevemorse.org from Kiskinizs 15 people; 1 from Kiskiuizs; Did not locate an Imre CSONTOS coming thru Ellis Island. Did he come thru other port?

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 7:46PM GMT
You are so prompt and knowledgeable. I have the list of names printed out, but haven't been researching for about 4 years. When I hit a "brick wall" I give up for a while.
I have an Imre Csontos from Borsod arriving March 12, 1903 at age 22, single and the ship is Statendam from Rotterdam. I was surprised he was so far from Hungary. There seems to be an age discrepancy however.
The church records indicate Barbola was 17 and James 25 when they married on Nov23, 1907, making it seem like the right person. James father is Istvan and Barbola's father is Ishvan Pasco. Thanks again.

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 7:48PM GMT
I also forgot, it is Buete.
Jayne

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 8:50PM GMT
Your welcome.
I might not be as far as you think.

Imre CSONTOS arriving in 1903 from Brsod, going to brother Janos CSONTOS in Bridgeport, Conn.
He was the only one from Brsod. I take is as some kind of transcribing/spelling error. No village name Brsod in Hungary. There is a Borsod in Borsod megye. The LDS site is listing Borsod as being Edelenyborsod.
CSONTOS does list in Edeleny's phone book.
www.magyartelekom.hu/fooldal.vm
It is possible that this is not YOUR ancestor? There is a CSONTOS name board on Ancestry. What other documents have you obtained? Did you locate Imre's Draft Registration Form? Was he naturalized citizen? You need to confirm the place of birth. Have you actually went thru the church records? A little question. What prompted you to post on Slovak Roots board?

Re: CSONTOS, PASKO, SENYO/SENO, BUTE/BUETE

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 8:53PM GMT
Jayne

BUTE (with umlauts in German) but without in English BUETE.
www.genealogienetz.de/reg
www.progenealogists.com/hungary
www.felix-game.ca

Re: Searching Hungarian surnames

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 7:27PM GMT
Jayne,
Zlatica, my dear friend, gave you good advises, but may I complete her, because I know a little bit better in Hungarian :-)
So, the Csontos is from the word csont what means bone, and the csontos means bony/boned (eg the meet where are bones is csontos, the man, who thick, and can be seen well his/her bones is also csontos)
The Ishvan must be István = Stephen/Steve
Borbála is Barbara
Pasco is probably Bacsó.
Senyo is probably Sényő; the village is written correctly Sényő, and in county Szabolcs-Szatmár Bereg:
http://www.terkepcentrum.hu/index.asp?go=map&mid=15&...
when you click to the map upstairs (where is the chrest) you will see it just up to the letter "a" of the name Nyíregyháza (the "S" looking wrongly)
Kiskinizs and Nagykinizs (kis means little, nagy means big) are also inside the present Hungary in county Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, look at them on the map:
http://www.terkepcentrum.hu/index.asp?go=mapszarvashu2&t...
By the way, it was the name of a very famous Hungarian general in the MIddle Age Pál (Paul) Kinizsi :-)
Büte... Have you any papers, paper, where you got the names from?
There are 46 Büte names in the Hungarian phonebook.
The Csontos is very common name, but not in the Kis/Nagykinizs phonebook, sorry. (
Happy new year!
Lajos Reich, Hungary

Re: Searching Hungarian surnames

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 7:39PM GMT
Jayne,
Zlatica, my dear friend, gave you good advises, but may I complete her, because I know a little bit better in Hungarian :-)
So, the Csontos is from the word csont what means bone, and the csontos means bony/boned (eg the meet where are bones is csontos, the man, who thick, and can be seen well his/her bones is also csontos)
The Ishvan must be István = Stephen/Steve
Borbála is Barbara
Pasco is probably Bacsó.
Senyo is probably Sényő; the village is written correctly Sényő, and in county Szabolcs-Szatmár Bereg:
http://www.terkepcentrum.hu/index.asp?go=map&mid=15&...
when you click to the map upstairs (where is the chrest) you will see it just up to the letter "a" of the name Nyíregyháza (the "S" looking wrongly)
Kiskinizs and Nagykinizs (kis means little, nagy means big) are also inside the present Hungary in county Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, look at them on the map:
http://www.terkepcentrum.hu/index.asp?go=mapszarvashu2&t...
By the way, it was the name of a very famous Hungarian general in the MIddle Age Pál (Paul) Kinizsi :-)
Büte... Have you any papers, paper, where you got the names from?
There are 46 Büte names in the Hungarian phonebook.
The Csontos is very common name, but not in the Kis/Nagykinizs phonebook, sorry. (
Happy new year!
Lajos Reich, Hungary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic